Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Need Help Midi Settings & MSB/LSB Settings to Access Performance Presets

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I currently use the iPad to send program changes to my keyboards. I use iMidiPatchBay. I have the iPad and the keys connected to an iConnectMidi4. My Nord Stage 3 is Master 1 on Midi Channel 1 and I want the Yamaha on Master 2 on Midi Channel 2. I can't seem to get the Yamaha to accept program change commands to correspond with the performance presets as listed on pages 2-5 of the Data Manual Presets.. I've looked at the Data List starting at page 187 of the Data Manual and it seems that the presets are called up with MSB 63 and LSB 0 with programs 0-127; and then as you move up to LSB 1..2, etc. it should access an additional 0-127 programs. I'm assuming this is how to call up these presets. Not certain. I can't get this to work. I've included my current midi settings on the Modx7.

I've had no problem controlling the Nord and my Kurzweil. For some reason, the Modx7 has a mind of its own and I'm likely clueless. Your help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to program all my settings for my next gig in 2 weeks as its my intention to replace the Kurzweil with the Modx7.

Attached files

Posted : 08/10/2018 8:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Understand that MSB = 63 is for selecting individual PARTs ("Single Part" ) not entire Performances which would be MSB = 64.

I'm not sure how valid selecting single-parts would be when using Single-Channel MIDI mode. I would think that single-PARTs selection would be disabled when using single-channel mode because the instrument would not be able to tell which PART to target - this is what different MIDI channels do in Multi-Channel mode.

So, for the heck of it, try MSB=64 instead.

Also, if you wanted to quickly figure out the MSB/LSB+PC for any Performance, from the [HOME] screen, touch the Performance name on the touchscreen - then press the left-hand menu selection of "Property". A screen will appear with the MSB/LSB+PC. Notice the MSB is shown as 64 for presets.

Just to explain this MSB=63 (single part) business more - which does not apply here:

Imagine you were using Multi-Channel MIDI mode. PART 1 = MIDI Channel 1, PART 2 = MIDI Channel 2 ... and so on through PART 16 = MIDI Channel 16.

Then, you could swap out ONLY the PART in slot 2 (PART 2) by sending the 63/XX=LSB/YY=PC. You would send this on MIDI channel 2. The MIDI channel would tell MODX to swap out only this PART. That's what the "single-PART" business is about. It looks at the MIDI channel then swaps out the PART matching that channel.

Since single-channel has all the PARTs on the same MIDI channel - I'm not sure "single PART" swapping is compatible in this mode.

Posted : 09/10/2018 4:04 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the response. Let's say I want the Modx to call up Performance #34 Schlager Weapon 1

So would i Use MSB=64 and LSB=0 and program #33?

Posted : 09/10/2018 4:15 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes,

Posted : 09/10/2018 4:23 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us