Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX Cases & Gig Bags

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Who's got experience already, with what? I'm interested in MODX7 but the thread is open to any and all 3 sizes - both gig bags as well as hard cases.

Posted : 08/10/2018 9:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The Yamaha gig back (soft case) is: YSCMODX7

I have no experience with the case - but manufacturer supplied cases tend be high quality and offer the best fit.

Not English - but the following shows the cases for the 6/7/8. Only the 8 has wheels. https://youtu.be/P_v83IskxEw?t=112

I have used a Gator soft case for my Montage 7 (much heavier) for some time and would not hesitate to use a soft-case for the MODX7.

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:34 am
 bob

If you're looking for a soft case, the Yamaha gig bag is perfect. Well padded and well made.I got mine from Kraft as a bundle deal for only about $20 over the cost of the keyboard only price. It's often hard to find that perfect fit if not OEM.

If you're looking at another brand, the MODX7 is much shorter than a typical 76key instrument, so check dims .. a 61key bag may be a better fit.

Posted : 14/10/2018 7:42 am
Prominent Member

I happened to already have a Yamaha YBNP76 bag for something else, and it works fine for the MODX7. It may not be as well padded or as perfect a fit as the MODX7-specific case (it's definitely a bit longer than it need to be), but it's very light and has enough protection for my purposes. Cheap, too.

Posted : 14/10/2018 12:41 pm
Topic starter

MODX7: I got a Gator GTSA-KEY76. The case is just huge relative to the keyboard. Not happy with the size differential, the case is giant overkill. Another fatal design flaw imo is the wheels are not recessed enough, it won’t stand on its end without verging on tip over. SKB got this right on my 4214W (61 key) case, but that case is too small for this board. its going back but i still don’t know what i’ll do for an ATA/TSA rated case. Think i’ll Try out the GTSA-KEY61 - reported specs are its 1/16” too short in length (internal). Maybe the SKB 76 key - its height is reported to be a bit shallow but I suspect that is just the foam padding.

Search continues. Who has tried out soft cases/gig bags? How is the one designed by yamah in terms of padding - it looks a bit thin in pictures but can’t tell. I looked at the Gator Pro-Go cases and their GKB line ... any users?

Posted : 14/10/2018 9:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you search the net for bundles - you can see what retailers are bundling. This is a starting point - you need to also verify the inner dimensions of the cases makes sense for the outer dimensions of each keyboard.

Sweetwater:

MODX6 - Gator G-PG-61 Go-Pro (gig bag), Gator GTSA-KEY61 (TSA series), Gator GK-49 (Semi-Rigid)
MODX7 - Gator GTSA-KEY88SL (TSA series), Gator G-PG-88 Slim Go-Pro (gig bag)
Note: if the GTSA-KEY76 is too big - seems like even the slim 88 would be too big. I haven't verified the dimensions.
MODX8 - Gator GK-88 (gig bag), GTSA-KEY88 (TSA series), Gator G-TOUR 88V2 (wood case)

Prosoundgear:

MODX6 - Gator "TSA Series ATA Case for 49-Note Keyboards"
https://www.prosoundgear.com/shop/bundles/yamaha-modx6-synthesizer-gator-cases-tsa-series-ata-case-for-49-note-keyboards/

MODX7 - Gator GK-88
https://www.prosoundgear.com/shop/bundles/yamaha-modx7-synthesizer-key-essentials-gator-cases-gk-88-lightweight-keyboard-case-with-wheels-for-88-key-keyboards/

... seem to be many "Gator" cases. Note that Gator has a tool to lookup cases on their company website by manufacturer and keyboard model. MODX is not part of this tool yet.

Posted : 15/10/2018 3:00 am
Topic starter

MODX7 - Gator GK-88**

**Inner length of GK-88 is 57.5".
- MODX7 length is 45.06"

Thats 14.5" longer than needed. thats ridiculous imo. even GK-76 is longer than needed by about 6". I asked SW and he told me they hadnt been able to actually check fits on any boards yet because they haven't had enough stock, every board that has come in was already pre-ordered and went back out immediately.

I just ordered the MODX7 bag YSCMODX7 by Yamaha. that will be fine for local gigs, Gator has lines that appear a bit more protective but --- sizing isn't optimal. still don't know what i'll do for fly-in gigs. tbd. some flights I can carry on, others ... I'll take the trusty MOXF6 I guess.

Posted : 15/10/2018 7:00 pm
 John

Thomann makes a flight case for the MODX range. There is an off the shelf-type and also a custom one where you can choose from several options.

Has anyone tried either of those, even with shipping to the US the price is right around $200 or less for the MODX size.

Posted : 04/03/2020 10:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us