Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Need help with MODX, Cubase AI Elements, Scarlett 6i6 interface, Mac/Yosemite- and I do have a simple question too!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

MODX with Cubase AI Elements, Scarlett 6i6 interface, Mac Yosemite.
Hi, I'm new to Yamaha (and Cubase, and Scarlett!). I am not getting sound in Cubase (trying to multi-track there using Yamaha sounds). It looks like a routing nightmare, so for now,
I am just wondering if there is a way to save sequencer tracks as WAV files, so for now I could simply save the songs I compose in the Yamaha and export them to a thumb-drive, and place them in my DAW of choice (which is Reason 10 actually!). Is this possible? Otherwise, I will kindly pay anyone who will take the time to help me get Cubase set up properly! someone said not to use the Scarlett (dont mean if they meant in routing or what) but that would be not great if I am unable to use the Scarlett interface. I realize the MODX has an interface built in, which may confuse the situation even more. I appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks!

Posted : 30/10/2018 4:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, you can record audio on MODX then transfer it to your Mac using a thumb drive.

1) First, stick a USB 2.0 thumb drive into MODX's "TO DEVICE" USB port.
2) Below superknob are buttons. Press the record button (1st column, 2nd row - has a filled-in circle as the icon). This is a shortcut to the Performance Recorder
3) Select the "Audio" tab to record audio
4) If the record button is not flashing (red), press the record button again - then press the play button (2 buttons to the right of the record) to start recording. You can also set a trigger level so you must start playing before the recording starts.

There is more information here: https://youtu.be/x9kyWVo4UPM?t=539

It is a video for Montage, but should apply equally to MODX.

If you want to use your audio interface to record MODX (instead of using MODX itself), then you will be connecting MODX's Main L&R outputs to the Scarlett's audio inputs. I'm not sure if that's what you want or just want to be able to use the Scarlett to record other instruments like vocals, etc.

Audio recording using Cubase is explained here:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-audio-record-on-daw-part-1
https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-audio-record-on-daw-part-ii

... and assumes using MODX's digital outputs.

The adjustments to the instructions would be to set the "Audio In" audio bus configuration to your Scarlett instead of MODX's digital channels. And outputs (on MODX's side) can be set to Main L&R instead of USB.

If you're trying to learn something new - it would be recommended to first setup the tutorial configuration (links above) without using the Scarlett. Not that you have to keep using your setup this way - but it would be nice to get your bearings using a configuration that matches the tutorial. Then you can modify the workflow slightly to accommodate the different audio interface after having mastered using MODX as the interface.

Posted : 30/10/2018 5:12 pm
Bad Mister

Hi, I'm new to Yamaha (and Cubase, and Scarlett!). I am not getting sound in Cubase (trying to multi-track there using Yamaha sounds). It looks like a routing nightmare, so for now,
I am just wondering if there is a way to save sequencer tracks as WAV files, so for now I could simply save the songs I compose in the Yamaha and export them to a thumb-drive, and place them in my DAW of choice (which is Reason 10 actually!). Is this possible?

Yes. The MODX can record Audio or MIDI to its own internal PLAY/REC function... the generated data can then be moved to the DAW of choice. You can record MIDI data directly from any of the MODX Performances... or you can record as AUDIO - which would render a stereo 44.1kHz/24-bit .Wav.

I highly recommend that you use the MODX Metronome... all the video instructions I've seen seem to forget this very important function. If you are recording with a Drum groove (ARP) then you may be able to get away without it, but to ensure that your recording lines up with your Measures and Beats in your DAW, it is best to use the CLICK to ensure the start point, and as a general reference for timing.

Touch the Quarter Note icon on the top line of the screen to take the shortcut to the TEMPO screen... you can set the CLICK here to "ALWAYS"
This will have the Click running at all times - you are really interested in the PRE COUNT so that you have the tempo before you begin playing.
When you drag and drop the .WAV into your DAW it will line up with the measures and beats - when you match the tempo.

Feel free to use whatever DAW you want to... in the end, if you are comfortable there already, fine. When you are ready to move up to Cubase, do so - but only when you are ready. All help here is free!

Otherwise, I will kindly pay anyone who will take the time to help me get Cubase set up properly! someone said not to use the Scarlett (dont mean if they meant in routing or what) but that would be not great if I am unable to use the Scarlett interface. I realize the MODX has an interface built in, which may confuse the situation even more. I appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks!

You can feel free to use your Scarlett interface - as long as you know that the MODX has a built-in MIDI and AUDIO interface, that you can use if and when you are ready.

The type of computer you have will impact the options you have to setup and record. For example, If you are using a Macintosh you can set up both devices to record audio to your computer via USB simultaneously. The advantage of this is that you will be able to utilize the MODX's own stereo L&R plus the 8 assignable USB Outputs. These 8 USB outputs can be configured as odd/even stereo pairs or individual mono outputs as you may require. This opens the door to recording items on their own discreet audio track, taking individual outputs on individual Drum sounds, if you wish... If you only use your external Audio Interface then you can only connect the MODX in stereo to that device.

Macintosh computers allow the user to create an Aggregate Audio Device - it would include the Outputs from both the Scarlett and the 10 Outputs from the MODX, as INPUTS to your DAW.
In such a setup you would connect one of the two devices to your speakers - it would act as your principal audio interface - the other device would connect to it (Analog) for monitoring purposes.

You don't mention which Scarlett - if you have the channels then this makes sense.

If you are using a Windows computer you will need to select one or the other device as the digital audio input to the computer.

Let us know... but we warn you - help here is FREE.

Posted : 30/10/2018 11:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Mac and OS was spelled out in original post.

Posted : 31/10/2018 12:59 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us