Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Not able to record Arp Midi notes

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Not sure what i am doing wrong but i am not able to record the Arp notes. I have the MODx connected via USB. I have selected the "Arp record on DAW" option but when i tried to record the outgoing Midi, only my key presses are registering and not the accompanied Arp notes that are playing. I have confirmed that the Arp Midi Out is turned on also. Any ideas?

Posted : 10/04/2022 5:16 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=116042]Not sure what i am doing wrong but i am not able to record the Arp notes. I have the MODx connected via USB. I have selected the "Arp record on DAW" option but when i tried to record the outgoing Midi, only my key presses are registering and not the accompanied Arp notes that are playing. I have confirmed that the Arp Midi Out is turned on also. Any ideas?

[/quotePost]

As silly as this sounds, try turning on and off your MODX.

Then, reverting back to "Standalone" mode, before then re-entering "Arp Record on DAW" mode.

I don't know why this works, but it does, and is sometimes needed.

If this doesn't work, you've got another workaround option if you're in a hurry... record your arp stuff to a Pattern in the Pattern Sequencer. This records all the notes, and plays back all the notes, it is not a subsequent triggering of arps, it's all the notes the arp played. So you can then hit play on the Pattern Sequence and direct record this MIDI output. Or export the Pattern to your DAW via either USB stick or MODX Connect to a folder or directly drag into your DAW (though all of these paths also have moments of being less than reliable).

Posted : 10/04/2022 7:14 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I have selected the "Arp record on DAW" option but when i tried to record the outgoing Midi, only my key presses are registering and not the accompanied Arp notes that are playing. I have confirmed that the Arp Midi Out is turned on also. Any ideas?

There's a short list of things to comprehend when I start to see issues with using the quick template buttons (like "Arp record on DAW" ). However, since you understand the button changes the "Arp MIDI Out" system parameter - you're already well on your way and I'll skip the quick template button rundown.

My first thought, since the quick template can be ignored (Arp MIDI OUT is ON) is that you're running into an exception case. What I mean by this is that there are settings which generally work in a sensical way - then there are the exceptions. Sometimes the exception case itself makes sense. Sometimes it's not so evident.

Are you running in Single Channel or Hybrid MIDI modes? I ask because:

Source: https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/zone-master-faq-mastering-montage

When MIDI I/O Mode = Single or Hybrid and no ZONE Switches are active, the 'Arpeggiator' block is fixed in place so that no Arpeggiator generated data goes OUT via MIDI.

If this isn't it, then I wonder what mode you're using - Direct/Through/Sort/etc (under Arpeggio).

If that isn't it - I wonder if you're using a "Normal" mode Arpeggio.

Posted : 10/04/2022 9:06 am
Topic starter

Thanks Andrew, I tried restarting all ready so that wasn't it. The pattern idea is a good work around but doesn't accomplish what i am trying to do when recording a set live.

Jason I think you are on the right track about the single channel out. I usually ignore the quick template also, only tried it to make sure but I tried all the combinations I could with the midi settings on normal standalone mode.

I am using single channel and I wasn't using any Zones. I will have to go back to manual and read about again on zones, i have used them before when controlling external gear but it has been a while.

What do mean by "normal mode" arp?

Posted : 10/04/2022 6:19 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bill, I remember about that now when you listed the three options, if I remember correctly it says which one is which in the naming structure or the arps too, i will go into the manual again and refresh.

Jason, Thanks for your reply, that was the issue, once I changed it to Multi Midi I was able to record the Arp events live.

Posted : 11/04/2022 2:16 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us