Clear all

Pattern Record question - single part vs all parts

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi guys,
I know that I've seen somewhere on this forum that you can select either a single part or the entire performance while recording with the pattern recorder. But somehow I cannot get it to work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have a 6-part performance. I recorded 16 bars in scene 1. I then wanted to modify part #3, from bar-10 to 16. Just to be clear, I just wanted to change part #3 and not any of the other parts that were already recorded. So I set the sequencer transport buttons to start at bar-10, and touch the part #3 to select it and press record. I have "replace" selected instead of "overdub" because I want to delete the older notes recorded in part #3 and replace with the new ones I will play. But when I start the recording by pressing the play button, it wipes out all the other parts as well. It seems like there is no way to replace just a part, and the "replace/overdub" setting works only for the entire performance and not the selected part. I think I may be missing something here, so let me ask - how exactly can I select just one part for the pattern recorder? Should I be turning off keyboard control for all the other parts?
Secondly, when I finish recording, I will drag/drop my pattern recording in Cubase (AI on Macbook) for further editing. Should I still select "Arp Play on DAW" mode, even though the Arps in this performance are already recorded on the pattern recorder? I guess not, but would like to check this as well!

Posted : 18/02/2021 2:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The problem you're running into is connecting Keyboard Control ("Kbd Ctrl" on the main home screen - with a keyboard icon either green for ON or grey for OFF) with what happens during the recording process.

You have two choices how to manage selecting a single Part. And these rules, by the way, are the same as how the keyboard works outside of the Pattern function.

1) Turn Keyboard Control OFF on every Part 1-8. The only Part you will be able to play (in Parts 1-16) will be the SELECTED Part. You can select a Part by pressing [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) to get to the home screen, then touch the Part # you want selected. Ignore the popup menu or exit. If you do not select any Part after pressing [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) - no Part will be selected.

2) Turn Keyboard Control ON for only one Part 1-8. This will force MODX to only control the single Part you turned Keyboard Control ON for. Make sure you do not touch (select) any other Part after toggling Keyboard Control.

Note - any time you select a Part that has Keyboard Control turned OFF - that PART (and no other Part) will be under your control. Even if you have Keyboard Control ON for some other Part. It will be ignored if you have SELECTED a Part with Keyboard Control set to OFF.

When you are addressing a single Part - only that Part will be replaced. It works, I just created a 4-Part Performance and recorded 4 Parts then replaced only one.

If you want to replace only two Parts at once - turn Keyboard Control ON for those two Parts.

Secondly ...

If you play back the recorded material from Cubase - you will want to have ARPs turned off since the recording has the ARP output - not the ARP trigger notes recorded.

It's outlined:
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/mastering-montage-arp-rec-on-daw

[SHIFT] + [ARP ON/OFF] is the shortcut to ARPEGGIO BYPASS. This function (added with firmware 1.20.x) causes the main [ARP ON/OFF] button to flash, as it bypasses all ARPEGGIO Functions. This can be useful when you want to playback data from a DAW and not have that data trigger the internal ARPEGGIOS... chaos will always follow if you let MIDI data playback and trigger the Arpeggiator (again). You must defeat input to the arpeggiator during playback! ARPEGGIO BYPASS accomplishes this!

Posted : 18/02/2021 4:39 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason, this explains the problem I was facing. I will try out disabling keyboard control switch for the other parts.
Thanks for pointing out the article on Arpeggio bypass as well. That "SHIFT" button is so darn useful!

Posted : 18/02/2021 8:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us