2 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi Again,

Another question, if I may...

I have recorded a pattern with 5 parts.

Generally it seems that after recording the pattern you can vary the part volumes, and that is stored as part of the scene memory.

I seem to have one part though where the volume goes up and down by itself during playback, i.e. the volume seems to be automated.

I can see that this might be a useful function at times,however I cannot see where/how this would be programmed and I cannot find how to bring the particular part's volume to a static value during playback?

Posted : 25/05/2020 10:51 am
Bad Mister

Let me start by saying, “automation is often best left until after you define a linear structure.”

Then let me say, “MIDI data persists.” This means when you change a MIDI CONTROL CHANGE value, that value remains until it runs into another message that tells it to change.

If you record (document) a volume setting in a Scene, whatever value you store, will remain the volume setting until a new volume setting is received.

Say you store a volume of 0 in Scene 2 for your Bass Track, now if you move to Scene 3 the volume will remain at 0... unless you document a volume setting for Scene 3. Say you now realize your mistake and set the volume for Scene 3 to 100.

If you play Scene 4 coming from Scene 3 the volume will be 100
If you play Scene 4 coming from Scene 2 the volume will be 0

Do you see why? Midi data persists... and Scene 4 has no value for volume stored. Once you start changing volume you might have to input a volume in each Scene. And if you complicate things by fading things up and down during a looping segment you will begin to really appreciate my first statement!
“Automation is often best left until after you define a linear structure.”

Posted : 25/05/2020 11:34 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister,

I take your point about “Automation is often best left until after you define a linear structure.”

In this case I have inadvertently added the automation to the volume of one part and I am wondering if there is a way to reset it to a fixed volume, apart from re-recording the track?

I am still processing your explanation re the "recorded" volume - is this different from the "scene" volume,as it seems you can adjust track volumes as you like, during playback?

I did have the situation where my bass volume varied from scene to scene and it seemed a simple matter of resetting the volume to the same level within each scene and then storing the scene.

Posted : 25/05/2020 12:30 pm
Bad Mister

In this case I have inadvertently added the automation to the volume of one part and I am wondering if there is a way to reset it to a fixed volume, apart from re-recording the track?

The initial volume is Part Volume as stored in the Performance. If you document a volume change, either by moving a Slider during Record, or by taking a ‘snapshot’ in the Scene Memory area, then it is an event that will be read and reacted to each time the Scene is recalled.

If you do not document a Volume event then the Volume as stored in the Performance serves as the start Volume for the Parts. Changes you make to it with the Sliders happen (you must ‘hook’ the stored value to activate the Slider) and the volumes remain as you leave them. But if you move away and come back (recalling the Performance) you will notice the volumes have returned to the ‘stored‘ start condition, not where you last left them. The Stored value.

On the MODX screen, the HOME screen View where you can see the Slider icons, you see the *stored* volumes for each Part.

The position of physical Sliders are shown with a little blue chevron, (above you can see Sliders 1-4 are selected), when you move the physical Slider and you reach the ‘stored’ value the little arrow turns white indicating the Slider is now “live”... called ‘hooking’ the value.

To un-document the volume in a Scene:
From the HOME screen
Touch “Scene”
Turn Off the MIXING Memory Switch for the Scene or Scenes that it is active.
Changes you make on the Scene Memory screen take effect immediately.

Yes, you can store Volume changes with a Scene, but you wind up then having to do it for each Scene. This is why keeping the Volumes manually adjustable maybe the workflow that works until you begin to finalize the arrangement (and create the linear structure).

Posted : 25/05/2020 1:13 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister for your continued support.

However there is still something I am missing/ not understanding.

I went into Scene and turned mixing memory off, however I still cannot reset the part volume to a fixed value throughout the scene.

My scene/pattern, when playing, looks like this:

Part 1 - white chevron - volume level does not change (unless I move it manually)
Part 2 - blue chevron - volume level does not change (unless I move it manually)
Part 3 as per Part 2.
Part 4 - scene starts off with a blue chevron which goes white along with automatic moving of the volume level then back to blue (doing this change a couple of times).

Hopefully this will all make sense for me one day...

Posted : 26/05/2020 12:43 pm
Bad Mister

As I explained, there are only two ways to automate volume.
1) you documented it in a Scene Memory ‘snapshot’
2) you moved a Part Volume Slider while the sequencer was in Record.

A blue chevron simply shows you where your physical slider is located - and it is only blue when it is not yet activated (meaning the “stored” value is either higher or lower than your physical slider - the slider differs from what you actually hear.

You have removed the Scene Memory ‘snapshots’
But because you have recorded the slider movement as Control data into the track (4) the volume data is merged to your track.
You may consider re-recording that Track.

The ‘stored’ volumes are those that appear when you initially recall the Performance. They will return there whenever you recall the Performance.

Posted : 26/05/2020 5:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us