Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Performance/Part Volume Default to Current Volume Controller (e.g. FC7) Position

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi BM... I am eating a good slice of humble pie here. 😉

This question relates to a recent MOX query accidentally posted in the Montage Forum.

The OP wanted to know if, when changing Performance, whether the Volume could default to the current position of his FC7 Pedal (being used to control overall volume). This was in relation to the MOX/MOXF.

You replied that it could by setting the Utility - CtrlReset = HOLD.

You also suggested a similar function exists on the MODX, but recommended I post the Question on the MODX forum.

This has troubled me for a while.

Without exact recollection of which posts, I am sure I have read here on multiple occasions that either a Volume Fader/Slider or a FC7 FS Volume Controller must be "swept" up to, or beyond the preset / stored Volume in order to "hook" the parameter, and thus gain active control of it.

I have experimented switching between Performances using the LIVE SET feature, and have literally gone to the trouble of making sure that Volumes between subsequent performances are balanced* and stored as such.

* By balanced, I mean that when switching Performances, the new Performance is not suddenly "Really Loud" or suddenly "Barely Audible". Even between different songs, where there is a gap in playing. For example, you complete Song A at a comfortable volume. Switch to Song B, play the opening D minor chord and blow everyones eardrums out. LOL... its happened. Thats why I bought an FC7 in the first place.... because I hoped... I could use it to "mute" between songs.... similar to a Guitar Volume Pedal (e.g. the Analogue Ernie Ball type... but thats in the Analogue world).

Anyway... I have learned many new things through my attempts to provide consistent and controllable volume levels between Performances... so its turned out to be a good thing really.

Posted : 31/01/2022 10:21 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure if you're still searching for the controller reset information. Setting this to "hold" will leave all controllers where they were for the last Performance - so there's no need to "catch" the position of the foot controller. However, it does this for all controllers - so there may be other controllers you would prefer to reset. So it's possibly not a perfect setting ...

7 - CONTROLLER RESET - RESET, HOLD

Determines how your MIDI Controller Reset protocol defaults when a new Program is recalled. This will change the behavior of your controllers when you initially recall a PERFORMANCE - will the values *reset* to the default as specified in the MIDI Specification when a RESET ALL CONTROLLERS message is sent. If HOLD is selected, the Controller values will remain as they were left last - meaning you inherit the current values. Many players prefer that the Foot Controller controlling overall VOLUME remain "live" at all times, rather than having a pre-determined stored VOLUME setting recalled. This is the function that will determine your instrument's behavior.

Posted : 31/01/2022 2:22 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason. I had tried a search of the MODX Manuals using text "CtrlReset" as per the MOXF advice given. That's why I couldn't find any reference.

You are right. Controller Reset = HOLD has more Cons than Pros. So I will stick to the "Hook and Latch" type operation. I had gotten used to it anyway.

Besides, levelling all your Presets is generally a good habit to get into.

Posted : 01/02/2022 12:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The manuals are good. For images I am usually fishing around a search engine's image search and often times it's another forum post or tutorial on this site that gives me a picture to include.

Search engine:

site:yamahasynth.com modx midi tutorial

... which, as a first link, brought me to https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/mastering-modx-midi-settings-explained

Then a search on "reset" found the screen I attached. Or at least that's close enough to the path I followed (I may have actually searched for montage or left the specific model out).

The helping hand I'm extending is sharing methodology to digging for information I use that may help others.

Posted : 01/02/2022 10:19 pm
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi J,

thanks for your help all the same.

It would never have occurred to me to search on "Midi Settings" whilst seeking enlightenment on "Volume Control".

Anyways.... maybe one for ideascale...

Why don't Yamaha gather together all the various "Mastering" tutorials (including screenshots) into a downloadable .pdf.... they could call it the "MODX Mastering Manual". That way we wouldn't have to trawl through forum posts hoping to find a link that still works 😉

Posted : 02/02/2022 8:41 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've made a similar suggestion before. Consolidation of documentation. And (not that it helps now) - but in the past Yamaha published "beyond the manual" PDFs that helped supplement. I think the move away from this was perhaps seen as keeping up with the times. That's just speculation.

Although there may be better ways to deliver documentation - it would be best to adapt to what's available for the most effective use. I've leveraged google's site search capabilities to get best results -- and you're right that knowing the right terms is key. Searching for "reset" on its own can get you there too. Also, I didn't find the original post because few of BM's comments merge together the words like that. I did see an MX post with the words merged similarly (and I believe it was a user other than BM). At any rate - that just means I couldn't dig up your reference - not that it didn't exist. Also I know some messages were inadvertently deleted recently during an attempt to revision up the forum.

All in all, I think we're generally in agreement here. And also the forum members (including myself) are around to help dig up the docs/threads/tutorials.

Posted : 02/02/2022 7:15 pm
Bad Mister

It is my understanding that if you call up one of the many tutorial articles on this site, you can export them directly as a PDF using most any browser.
Find the PRINT option and SAVE AS PDF

Posted : 02/02/2022 7:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us