Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Piano on MODX6/7

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm used to the MODX8 GHS weighted keybed, so it feels funny (and doesn't sound quite right) playing the Imperial, CFX, and S6 piano performances / parts on the MODX7's semi-weighted action. No surprise there - a hard touch on the 7's keys results in higher velocity and faster release. I've been able to make the piano parts a lot more playable on the 7 by reducing the parts' Velocity Depth parameter (in the Part/Common edit page) from the default value 64 to 62; and for each Element (in Part/Element/Amplitude/Amp EG), increasing the Release parameter by 2 (for "CFX Concert", that's from 70 to 72). For the global Velocity Curve, I use the Wide setting, which feels right to me even with the semi-weighted action, so YMMV.

There are other ways to make parts less sensitive to the faster keybed action: there's the global Velocity Curve setting (in Utility/Settings/Sound), and then each Element in a part has its own Level/Velocity, Velocity Depth, and Velocity Curve settings(in Part/Element/Amplitude/Level / Pan). And keyboard feel and response is always a very individual preference. But there are ways of improving this, even on the MODX6/7 semi-weighted keybeds.

df

Posted : 09/03/2020 6:40 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hi David,

This is a great post. So much about actions and piano sounds are subjective and the goal is to figure out steps to take to make it work for you. There is a video of a guy who adjusts Part velocity depth much more than what you suggest and that basically takes the entire velocity range of the piano and eliminates it. Using his method makes EVERYTHING super loud and you cannot play soft, but that works for him.

Again, it's subjective, but your solution still keeps it playable but works well with the action of the MODX7.

THANKS for this share!

Posted : 10/03/2020 10:56 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words, Blake...I did see that other guy's video on YouTube, and if Little Richard and Jerry Lee need to get their MODXs working better, that's the way to go; Bill Evans and John Lewis probably would have preferred my settings...and it's not really that difficult to get things to work the way YOU want...

df

Posted : 11/03/2020 7:33 pm
Bad Mister

+1

Posted : 17/03/2020 2:40 am

Hi David,

I experienced quite the same problem at first, when I played the synth keybed of MODX 7 after all those great actions in Yamaha 88-key stage pianos, the Motif XF and many acoustic pianos of course. And it was not just the piano sounds that made me mad. After a while I learned to hit the keys the right way. More of a problem was that the pianos turned out to sound a bit tiny or hollow. There is a need for several subtle changes in parameters and filters to get bright and pleasing piano sounds.
Check out, if you like, the S6 or CFX performances, for example, on https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/voices?user=7205
And, if you own the American Grand by Synthogy, check out my Steinway performances based on this sample library. It is the besf Steinway surrogate on the market to my opinion. To receive an impression, you may listen to https://soundcloud.com/user305077769/rachmaninoff-sonate-nr-2-1-satz-modx.

Posted : 17/03/2020 6:30 am
Topic starter

Peter - You're right, in time you get used to the way a different keyboard responds, and (subconsciously?) adjust your touch...I use both MODX7 and MODX8: the 8 mostly stays at home, and usually the 7 is hauled (16 lbs) to gigs and rehearsals...and while the two keybeds are obviously never going to have the same feel and response, I wanted to get them close so I could use the same performances and settings on both, with only minor differences as described above, and not really have to think about it at the gig...I haven't had any problem with playing other sounds on both, maybe because I expect that only piano sounds are played from weighted keybeds...and there's always a need for subtle (or not subtle) changes in parameters and filters to get the piano to sound the way YOU want; I don't think I've ever used an unmodified preset piano sound on any synthesizer...

df

Posted : 17/03/2020 4:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us