Clear all

Play sustained note without using sustain pedal

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I want to play one note, typically a string sound, once I hit the key and have it sound until I switch scenes or some other trigger. I can't use the sustain pedal as I need it for the other sounds I'll be playing. I just want this one note to keep playing on it's own. 

I was looking for 'Recv note off' like there is in Drums, but couldn't find the same thing for string sounds. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred

Posted : 17/02/2024 1:28 am
New Member Guest

Just FYI - The forums aren't really open to the public yet so don't be surprised if you don't get any responses. They are still developing and testing the new forum software.

I was looking for 'Recv note off' like there is in Drums, but couldn't find the same thing for string sounds.

Just assign your own sound to a drum key and use can use that 'Recv note off'. Assign a second key as the trigger to stop the first key from sounding.

Otherwise you need to modify the envelope for an element to have a long decay and release time. But that won't shut it off when you switch scenes.

Posted : 17/02/2024 1:59 am
 fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

That's what I was originally thinking, but I thought I could only assign a waveform to a drum key. How would you assign a performance or strings to a drum key?

Posted : 17/02/2024 5:48 pm
New Member Guest

That's what I was originally thinking, but I thought I could only assign a waveform to a drum key.

That's correct.

How would you assign a performance or strings to a drum key?

You create your own waveform. Assuming you had WAV files for each note you would use them to create keybanks in your own waveform and then assign that waveform to a drum key.

A second drum key that does nothing would be added to the same group to act as an OFF signal. Only one key in a group sounds at the same time.

There isn't really a good solution for what you want to do for a single key other than make the delay and release as long as possible.

For a more typical drone pattern you can use an arpeggio or a motion sequence.

Posted : 17/02/2024 7:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

FM-X has infinite release time so you could use that if FM could provide a sound you're after.

You could then tie the release to an assignable knob and have a scene change spin that knob (using Super knob) to stop the note.

Posted : 18/02/2024 8:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

FM-X has infinite release time so you could use that if FM could provide a sound you're after.

You could then tie the release to an assignable knob and have a scene change spin that knob (using Super knob) to stop the note.

Posted : 18/02/2024 8:33 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us