Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Problem .wav / performance chain Modx: Help me!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello everybody,
in my Modx I found that I have stored many small .wav files, even with the same name, which are saturating the memory (obviously they are all audio files (loops etc) that I imported ...)
Now, since not all of them use them in my performances, is there a way to understand which .wav files are "chained" to a performance and which are not? Many have the same name (I was hoping they would be overwritten when loading via usb but not) and I urgently need to delete those that are not used. Over time I have created a lot of performances that I use in my gigs ... Thanks

Posted : 02/09/2022 6:39 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118205]Hello everybody,
in my Modx I found that I have stored many small .wav files, even with the same name, which are saturating the memory (obviously they are all audio files (loops etc) that I imported ...)
Now, since not all of them use them in my performances, is there a way to understand which .wav files are "chained" to a performance and which are not? Many have the same name (I was hoping they would be overwritten when loading via usb but not) and I urgently need to delete those that are not used. Over time I have created a lot of performances that I use in my gigs ... Thanks[/quotePost]
This issue of the Music Production Guide:
https://www.musicproductionguide.eu/MPG/MusicProductionGuide_2021_01_EN.pdf

has a comprehensive tutorial on using the John Melas Waveform Editor ( http://www.jmelas.gr/montage/wave.php ) to edit, manage and combine the contents of backup files.
Among other things, it has some handy features like "Delete Unused Waveforms" and "Delete Duplicate Waveforms".
It can also show if a Waveform is used or not. Or you can copy a Performance to an empty backup file and it will copy the waveforms with it etc.

So in your case, I'd make a full backup of the MODX, duplicate it for safety and then use the Waveform Editor to clean it up.
Reset the MODX and then restore it from the edited file.

Posted : 02/09/2022 11:02 am
Antony
Estimable Member

Live and learn.

Like me, going forward, you will realise you need some file management discipline. Otherwise, you find yourself with 100's of identically named files, most with no meaningful content and no more memory.

Yes this happened to me.

In my case I did a backup, factory reset, and started afresh, lessons learned. I never felt the need to return to that backup, although I still have it.

Posted : 02/09/2022 10:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us