Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Q: Montage/MODX library compatibility

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, i'm trying to transfer a library from my MODX8 to my Montage 7. The issue is that when i save the library on the MODX, the file extension is .X8L, not .X7L, and the Montage doesn't see it. I have the latest firmware installed on both, any ideas? Maybe i missed something, thanks.

Posted : 09/11/2018 1:38 pm
Bad Mister

The MODX (2018) can read and translate MONTAGE (2016) files. Coming later allows it the option to have ‘knowledge’ of its predecessor and its features. Going back in time can be problematic. (Although not insurmountable...)

Current situation, the iOS app Soundmondo, can capture and translate MONTAGE and MODX data in either direction... freely.

Since there is no MODX exclusive data, we will assume it is Performances you generated yourself.
If you do not have an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), then currently, there is not a method to safely move MODX data to MONTAGE. (I still need to check the third party programs, however...)

I do not recommend you simply change the file extension... there are obvious differences in the products and their firmware. Those differences are being addressed by the Soundmondo app. Simply changing the extension does not address any serendipitous changes that may occur once that data is loaded (usually some one will try that, then later have a mysterious issue that no one else can replicate).
(serendipitous changes = bugs, possible crash, etc.

I’ve heard nothing yet about making the MONTAGE read/translate MODX files directly, but if that happens, it will likely require a MONTAGE firmware update to fully debug any issues that, undoubtedly, would arise. (We’ll see if we can find out).

If you don’t have an iPad (Soundmondo) work the other way... create data on the MONTAGE... current situation, the MODX can read both file formats.

Posted : 09/11/2018 3:28 pm
Topic starter

Ok, thank you very much. 🙂

Posted : 09/11/2018 3:40 pm

So, what about people who dipped their toes into the Modx water first then want to ‘upgrade’ to a Montage later? Surely Yamaha must have a plan for that? I am already looking to upgrade my Modx7 for a Montage 7. Will be seriously annoying if the patches I create cannot be ported across.

Posted : 09/11/2018 8:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Does the iPad version of Soundmondo offer different features than the online web version (using WebMIDI) of Soundmondo? It's stated that an iPad is needed - but I wonder if the Web version of Soundmondo can also be used, in a similar manner, to translate Performances.

Posted : 09/11/2018 8:23 pm

So, what about people who dipped their toes into the Modx water first then want to ‘upgrade’ to a Montage later? Surely Yamaha must have a plan for that? I am already looking to upgrade my Modx7 for a Montage 7. Will be seriously annoying if the patches I create cannot be ported across.

MODX has been out less than 60 days, maybe give them a lil time. Use soundmondo per Phil's discussion to go from MODX to Montage in the meantime? Or don't take too long to decide so you haven't created too much data that you can't re-create in Montage (not fun, I know)? its a tough one - I'm content with MODX so I won't have to solve this need.

This isn't unique to MODX - Motif XS can't load Motif XF. Motif XF can't load MOXF. etc etc ... thats always how it has been - newer boards add features and things that aren't in the prior model - loading a file with that data would lead to unpredictable unresolvable problems for the older model. Forward portability from older to new is a blessing that Yamaha always tries to ensure for us (and thank you, Yamaha), not all manufacturers even do that.

I recall original Montage couldn't even load XF data. now it can. maybe they'll add this for users though not sure how many people are going from MODX to Montage that this is needed vs other things they can work on. finite resources, etc., all that.

Posted : 09/11/2018 9:10 pm

Of course some people are going to want to upgrade to the flagship model once they come up against a few of the limitations with the Modx. It would be crazy of Yamaha to not want people to trade up to the flagship models.

Posted : 10/11/2018 10:42 am
Stefan

MODX has been out less than 60 days, maybe give them a lil time. Use soundmondo per Phil's discussion to go from MODX to Montage in the meantime? Or don't take too long to decide so you haven't created too much data that you can't re-create in Montage (not fun, I know)? its a tough one - I'm content with MODX so I won't have to solve this need.

I have both and that would make it more valuable for me to be able to freely exchange the data. I use one for rehearsal and the other one for gigs to reduce the amount of stuff I have to move around. Still works quite well for me. I have to make all changes on the Montage and then replicate to the MODX. That's great, both ways would be greater.

This isn't unique to MODX - Motif XS can't load Motif XF. Motif XF can't load MOXF. etc etc ... thats always how it has been - newer boards add features and things that aren't in the prior model - loading a file with that data would lead to unpredictable unresolvable problems for the older model. Forward portability from older to new is a blessing that Yamaha always tries to ensure for us (and thank you, Yamaha), not all manufacturers even do that.

I recall original Montage couldn't even load XF data. now it can. maybe they'll add this for users though not sure how many people are going from MODX to Montage that this is needed vs other things they can work on. finite resources, etc., all that.

You are right about that. There is some big difference in this situation, though: The MODX is not the successor of the Montage. It's a sibling. The situation is more similar to that of the MOXF and the Motif XF. But still there is a difference: The Montage and the MODX are basically the same instrument with a different package and some reduced specs. The Motif XF and the MOXF were much more different.

As a programmer I am sure, that the Montage and the MODX have the same firmware just with some different switches here and there to adapt to the hardware differences. So personally I don't see any reason for them to have different formats.

Here is what I hope should happen: In the future the firmware of the MODX and Montage is basically released at the same time with the same features - minus the differences which account for the hardware differences. I am not sure if that will happen, it might be a problem of limited QA resources... But still it would be cool.

Posted : 10/11/2018 11:59 am
Topic starter

Thanks a lot, it worked by changing the extension.

Posted : 10/11/2018 11:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's worth mentioning (again) - underlining - highlighting - bold-facing - that renaming the extension is not recommended. Although this may work for you - the two instruments diverge in a few areas and difference in extension is to give room for each instrument (MODX and Montage) to have unique features in the file structure. There has been a warning that you could introduce a "virus", of sorts, by feeding your instrument invalid data. At best (when you encounter a problem) - you'll have something not work right -- which will waste your time, be hard to track down, and eventually fixed by resetting your instrument back to factory settings and reloading your content using proper files. At worst, you could "brick" your instrument.

What works now will likely not work later as the two instruments split in features and each file format "grows up" and may diverge further.

If you can find a different way to reach your goal - even if it takes longer - I would highly recommend taking the additional steps in order to protect the investment you've made in the instrument.

Posted : 11/11/2018 3:55 am
Topic starter

Thanks, i don't have access to an iOS device, i keep the MODX at home and i use the Montage for playing live with the band, and it usually stays with the other musical instruments that are being put on stage ( sorry for the english ), i thought that they are backward compatible. When we have to make new songs, i have to make new performances, and it takes time, i thought about assembling a library at home and load it into the montage.
I'm not a programmer of any sort, but it would be nice if a free Windows/macOS software program will be available from Yamaha in the future, if keeping both on the same level of firmware/software would require much resorces. Until then, i'll take the Montage home to make the performances.
Thanks for the help. 🙂

Posted : 11/11/2018 7:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This question has not been answered yet:

Does the iPad version of Soundmondo offer different features than the online web version (using WebMIDI) of Soundmondo? It's stated that an iPad is needed - but I wonder if the Web version of Soundmondo can also be used, in a similar manner, to translate Performances.

... I believe you should not need an iPad to use Soundmondo for translation. The web version should work too.

https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/

That's an assumption pending confirmation by Yamaha or someone trying it out.

Posted : 11/11/2018 11:48 pm
Topic starter

Thanks a lot Jason 🙂 I managed to connect the MODX via the Chrome webmidi, i am thinking about taking my laptop to where i have the Montage, connect it the same way i have connected the MODX.
Do you happen to know if i shoud simply hit 'SYNC" when i see the Montage 'online"?
Also, i have seen that Soundomondo works with Android but only with the Reface (NAMM 2016), where should i ask if there is support for Montage/ MODX? i tried connecting a Galaxy s9 Plus, selected midi via the cable, allowed midi in Chrome, tried desktop version also, but i don't see the online/offline button.

Attached files

Posted : 12/11/2018 12:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I haven't seen much in the way of MODX/Montage working with Android. The Reface article perhaps you're referring to:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/soundmondo-on-android

And this video/article:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/28/yamaha-soundmondo-sound-sharing-site-now-compatible-with-android-devices/

The article states:

It’s currently compatible with Yamaha Reface synths, but they’re looking at expanding it to support the Montage.

At the time (Jan 2016) - MODX didn't publicly exist. I imagine there would also be a similar plan to expand to support MODX. It's been a couple of years - no idea if the Montage code ever got off the ground or not.

This is good as an of a place to ask if anything other than reface has been added to Soundmondo for Android.

"Sync" is supposed to be how you download something on Soundmondo from the site to your instrument when browsing to someone else's content.

Here's a tutorial: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/soundmondo-for-montage-desktop

and one here: http://www.easysounds.eu/MusicProductionGuide_2018_03_EN.pdf

or: https://www.facebook.com/notes/moessieurs/montage-soundmondo-pour-le-yamaha-montage-/2081114818570848/

Posted : 12/11/2018 8:23 pm
Topic starter

Thanks a lot 🙂

Posted : 13/11/2018 12:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us