Clear all

RE: Volume

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

One of my problems...
Coming from organ I'm using a Footcontroler for volume only. But...if using it in a performance mentioned in another thread here, the Arpeggio Volume freaks out using the FC. Volume scratches and Arp Volume cannot be dimmed.
How about that?

Posted : 21/11/2021 3:00 pm
Bad Mister

We move your question to its own thread because, it has little to do with the thread you attached it to… don’t be afraid to start your own thread… allows us to give you your answer with confusing the issue for the other poster’s thread. Thanks.

One of my problems...
Coming from organ I'm using a Footcontroler for volume only. But...if using it in a performance mentioned in another thread here, the Arpeggio Volume freaks out using the FC. Volume scratches and Arp Volume cannot be dimmed.
How about that?

If you are coming from organ (we assume you mean you started as an organist), then we need to have the discussion about the difference between Volume and Expression.

On the organ the pedal (Swell) is more of an Expression pedal than it is just a way to control the Volume.
Control Change (CC) is a type of MIDI message generated by a keyboard to help the performer change the sound in question.

CC7 - is referred to as the “Main (Channel) Volume.
CC11 - is referred to as the Expression.

The difference is: the “Main Channel Volume” is akin to the fader on the band’s mixing console. Yes this controls how loud the instrument on this channel will sound. The “Expression” is akin to the output level as controlled at the instrument being emulated.

In a case where you are controlling and performing an electronic or pipe organ sound, a Foot Controller sending cc11 is most closely related to the organ’s Swell pedal. It is your musical expression. Organs are not velocity sensitive (like pianos) so the Expression pedal (CC11) is most often used to control performing output level changes.

Using CC7 would be like controlling the performing output level of the organ from the mixing console. (This is just not done).
Use CC7 to set the level of instrument compared to other instruments playing simultaneously.

The thing about both CC7 and CC11 is they both will effect all receiving devices on the Channel that they are sent.
In the MODX, if you are transmitting to a Performance with multiple Parts, and you send CC7 or CC11, all receiving Parts will respond.
If you do not want a Part to respond, you must set the “Receive Switch” for “Vol/Exp” = Off.
You do so by pressing [EDIT] from the HOME screen of your Performance > select the PART in question, tap “Mod/Control” > “Receive Sw” >
Here, on a per Part basis you turn Off this Parts ability to be influenced by “Vol/Exp” (CC7/CC11). This is an opt in or opt out scenario. If you don’t want Parts with Arpeggios to respond, set the “Vol/Exp” option = Off
Leave it to On for all others.

There is a third way to control musical performing volume, that will only affect the Part that you want. This is accomplished using the CC4 (Foot Control) message. The way this works is you setup the Part whose output level you want to control so the PART “Volume” parameter is assigned to a Controller, say, FC1 (Foot Controller 1) — then by setting Foot Ctrl 1 to send CC4, when you move that pedal it will only change the Part Volume parameter of the Part you desire.

CC4, unlike the CC7 and CC11, has no specific role. Until you tell it (assign) which parameter it is to control, CC4 Foot Control does nothing.
Using CC4 assigned to the Part’s Volume, allows you a way to directly talk to this particular Part… all the other Parts will do nothing in response to CC4 (That is, until you tell them what parameter you want it to change.

To assign Part Volume to Foot Ctrl 1:
From the HOME screen press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number” — here you can on a per Performance basis assign what your controllers are set to send
Set the “Foot Ctrl” of your choice to “4”
*Select* the Part containing instrument whose Volume you want to control
Touch “Part Settings” > “General”
Move the cursor to highlight the VOLUME parameter… if you are interested in controlling full volume of this Part, set the VOLUME = 0

Press the [CONTROL ASSIGN] button — it glows whenever you highlight any assignable parameter.
You will be asked to move the Controller to make the assignment… move the Foot Controller

The assignment is made and you will be taken to the Control Assign screen for this assignment.
Curve Type = Standard
Polarity = Uni
Ratio = +32
Param 1 = 5

This will give volume control of just this Part.. heel down will be silence… toe down will be maximum volume.

Summary:
You can decide on a per Performance basis what each FC pedal jack is set to do. You are not locked into having the pedals do the same thing in every Performance - you decide what you want it to do.

Arpeggio Data
Arpeggios that’s contain note data are created originally by recording MIDI data to a sequencer. And very much like MIDI data playing back from a sequencer, will play at the original output level… this means, the velocity of notes in the original phrase determine how loud the Arp Phrase sounds.

You can, however, have the Arp Phrase follow how hard you hit the keys when controlling them.
Arps are assigned to Parts… so go to Edit on the Part containing the Arp Phrase
Touch “Arpeggio” > “Advanced” > here you can set the “Velocity mode” = “Original” (as recorded) or “Thru” (responds to how hard you touch the keys to trigger it.

Other factors: The Slider for the Part containing Arp Phrases will typically control the Main Channel Volume (CC7) — but any Parts Volume maybe assigned to an alternate controller, at time — it depends on what the programmer was attempting to do. For example, it might be assigned to an Assign Knob and/or linked to the Super Knob.

Posted : 21/11/2021 5:52 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you very much for your answer!!! THANK YOU !!!
And whatever I write herinafter ... I highly appreciate that!!!

I read much of your posts here. Very fine!!!

But ... far too much information. I have aims ... simple aims. In this case "control the master volume with the FC".

I am a hobby player. I am not an instrument-engineer. I did not study music designer or something like that. And allthough I know english very well, I am a german and reading technical english is not so easy for me. So forgive me, when I read it later ... again and again and again ... until I have a slight glimpse of what you want to tell me 😀 By the way the MODX is my first Synthi and I don't know much of what happens there. I can read circuit diagrams, tipping on menues and buttons ... that's all. I bought the MODX to have horny sounds and possibilities of manipulate them ... ideally in realtime (as I am used from organ). The more I want to manipulate, the more I need automation on the other hand. E.g. "Arp hold". But at the moment I only have a better ePiano, because "playing" is seemingly not the first priority on an MODX. Even the master volume control via FC is a science by itself. Wow! Sad thing ... especially because I am able to do crazy things with my feet 😉 (organ player).

To this thread...

I'm coming from electronical organs. So I didn't regulate the air stream of a church organ (swell) ... even if I played such also. Expression here, expression there ... it all result in volume changes. Volume ... only volume ... written on the MODX as "Master Volume". At organs volumes (of registers/here parts) are well tuned, so the sweller on an electronical organ is "Volume Controler" ... nothing else. Using the FC while playing Arps on my MODX sounds as if the potentiometer is worn out 😀 Know this from my first Organ.
Sweller ... for ME ... is usefull for the ending. I'm used to it ... I need it! Cannot end with two hands and simultaniously shut off the rhythm machine with my nose. So it's for more or less smooth fading out. Simple thing ... skillfully effect to the audience 😉 Keyboard- or Synthi-Players oviously never needed such things ... oviously I have to learn some new techniques. Could also function with a free left hand ... but that's the issue of my other thread.

Obviously I misunderstood simply sounding words ... FC assigned to volume means to me "master volume via FC". One idea when I bought it, and my first chapter in the Manual. Apparently that feature was too easy for Yamaha ... as well as the feature to save different splits in scenes (also unknow at Korg and perhaps others). If possible, I could make some clever things with it 😉 Perhaps I should open up some further threads dealing simple issues ROFL 😀

On the MODX everything is made very complicated ... and I wonder why. Manuals are read! Since 6 weeks I am trying to realize things for hours ... and at the end it does not function. Hard to bear. Manuals and videos are only showing what to find where. But nowhere descritions for "transfer people" who want realize their longtime used and clear defined features on the MODX (remember your post "style"). I read one of your posts ... "accompaniment" (organ), "style" (keyboard), "arpeggiator" ... theoretically interesting. But it doesn't really matter how you name it. On my old organ I can play "sounding" rhythms with my left hand and foot ... or press the hold-button (sound) when using rhythm machine.The names are not important. Important is only the aim/result.

THANK YOU!!!

Posted : 21/11/2021 8:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us