Notifications
Clear all

Recommendation for MODX vs MOXF

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi guys, I am currently on a Roland FA-06 and am looking to swap it for a new workstation. My main requirements are

1. A better keybed - the FA is quite bad here
2. More simultaneous aprs - the FA allows just one

While I am aware that maybe all 61-key workstation have a "synth-action" keybed, the one on my current Roland is exceptionally bad. I am not really looking for a 88-key weighted action, but something that does not feel as shallow as this. For comparison - I had a Korg M50 earlier, and I was happy with the keybed action there.
For the arps, I am looking for something more "arranger"'ish while not going into the standard "one-man-band" paradigm that is common in arrangers. The MOXF's 4 simultaneous arps seem to fulfill my requirements, while the MODX's 8 simultaneous arps would be nice, but I dont really need so many. I see Sweetwater still has new MOXF6 available for $1K. Would it make sense to go for a MOXF6 vs a MODX6, which is $400 more? I would like to know your opinion(s) about this - is the MOXF still a good entry workstation, worth the $1K price tag?

Posted : 29/10/2020 11:45 pm
Eminent Member

I'd try them in a store if possible (I know, hard these days with this pandemic stuff). I haven't played a MOXF myself but some reviews have stated the MODX has a nicer keybed, and the Montage has an even better one (same as Motif XF/XS AFAIK), albeit at around double the price. But keybed feel is subjective, so if you're picky in that regard, playing one with your own hands is the only way to judge.

The MOXF has more complete sequencer features compared to the MODX, but the MODX adds FM-X, the Super Knob, more parts per performance, the motion sequencer, and a nice touch screen UI. MODX has more onboard samples and more preset performances as well, plus 1 GB of built in flash storage to load additional waveforms plus up to 8 libraries. (MOXF offers up to 1GB as an add-on card).

It also depends on your use case. If you're a gigging musician who just needs to call up a preset and play, either synth will work well for you. If you're into sound design/programming your own patches, MODX trounces MOXF in just about every way.

Posted : 30/10/2020 12:02 am

I had MOX6/8, MOXF8 and now use the MODX6 and 7. I found the tiny display of MOX/MOXF a real pain in the a** and used the Melas Tools as much as applicable for editing. Even if you're not diving into deep sound editing, as a gigging musician you will want to layer/split and customize presets. The MODX touch screen is awesome, fun to work with and speeds up the workflow, so I won't go back, never. Regarding ARPs, note that they might also be used to modulate performance parts to get motion to the sound, so it makes sense to have 8 of them instead 4. Just my 2ยข.

Posted : 30/10/2020 12:56 pm
 John
Estimable Member

I started off with the MOXF6 a few years ago and then bought the MODX6. I don't know if it was because I was more used to the MOXF6, but I preferred that keybed to the MODX6. Then this year I bought a Montage6 and that is far better than the other 2 as far as I'm concerned - it just felt great straight away.

I still have all 3, but the Montage is the one I turn to most of the time because it just feels right for me. It also has more sliders and knobs and they also have the lighting to show their positions which makes a massive difference for me.

We all have different needs though and one keybed that I think is brilliant may not be for others so if you can get to play them it would be great, but with the current situation that might not be easy.

Posted : 31/10/2020 9:28 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you all for your answers. I would love to try them out and will check with the local Guitar Center if they are open for indoor retail. I see a lot of other stores have opened up now, so I'm hopeful! Overall the MODX seems to be the logical choice. However I read somewhere that it does not have a "proper" sequencer. Is this true? It's surprising if true, since Korg's and Roland's of this price all come with 16 track sequencers.

Posted : 03/11/2020 5:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

MOXF and MODX have a different sequencer implementation. There was a time that MODX had an even less capable "sequencer" - so be sure when you're fishing for opinions that you look at the date of the opinion and/or knowledge of those giving opinions (up to date?).

Still, MOXF has a few different tools for manipulating note data inside the sequencer than MODX does (even with the newer Pattern Sequencer). Still, there is a 16-track sequencer in MODX although the implementation may be different than either MOXF or the competition.

If you're going to evaluate how the new Pattern Sequencer works for you - it may take more than one trip to your local retail shop. Check out the tutorials to get an idea of how the system works beforehand.

Those who have had a MOXF and transitioned to MODX have praised the large touchscreen which makes life easier for anything involving editing/settings. You also get the new soundset which includes MOXF's plus the additional Performances available in the Montage/MODX generation.

However, if you really are a heavy in-keyboard sequencer user - you may want to dig a little deeper into what you'll be getting with MODX vs. MOXF. Sitting here, I cannot necessarily know what features would have you be dissatisfied with what MODX has to offer - as this is a moving target depending on the individual.

This may not be any part of a consideration for you - but be aware that Cubase AI comes with MODX and provides a fairly integrated way to use the computer as a means to do lots of advanced manipulations of recorded (sequencer) data.

Posted : 03/11/2020 6:13 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone for your inputs and recommendations. My local Guitar Center had a MODX6 and MODX8 as well as MOXF8 as demo units. The 8's keybeds on both were excellent, as expected. The MODX6 looked small to me, probably because of the pitch bend & mod wheel not extending to the left of the keybed. I finally decided to buy the MODX7 - the extra keys seemed worth the $200 price difference. My initial assessment is that this is an excellent and capable synth and seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I am delighted with the options for performance and the sounds of the preset programs. I have had it for two days so far, and have not yet tried recording yet, so not sure if I would find those limitations annoying. But so far, this is exactly what I was looking for - great sounds with performance options to change musical scenes live. This really helps in inspiration - indeed the preset performances seem to just beg to be expanded into compositions. ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted : 16/11/2020 5:57 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us