Notifications
Clear all

Sample Robot for MODX

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Paul
Topic starter

I've seen a few sources mention Sample Robot in connection with MODX - is a free version of this available/coming for MODX owners as per the Montage?

Posted : 03/10/2018 10:07 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I would assume there would be a similar promotion. MODX can read/convert X7L files that Sample Robot produces - so there's no lift to the software.

One benefit to Skylife is the "mailing list" of potential customers for the paid pro version. All of the Montage folks who registered SampleRobot likely already got the "suggestion" to upgrade (at cost) to the latest Pro version. I don't see why they would pass on the opportunity to grow their advertisement reach.

Posted : 04/10/2018 6:08 am
Prominent Member

I think we just don't know. Yamaha presumably paid the developers a fee (maybe lump sum, maybe per download) to distribute a version of SampleRobot to Montage owners. We don't know whether that agreement would have covered future derivative models at no additional cost to Yamaha. If there is additional cost involved, it's unknown whether Yamaha would want to pay that, especially considering there is less money for them in a MODX sale than a Montage sale. They may also want to use it as a further differentiating feature between the models. They could also do something like have it be free to Montage owners, and charge a fee for it for MODX owners. AFAIK, it's all speculation at this point, (Assuming that trying to download the Montage program with a MODX serial number doesn't work...)

Posted : 04/10/2018 12:31 pm
Bad Mister

As far as Rebates and Promotions are concerned, these are very regional. And because in one market a certain Rebate or Promotion is happening does not mean it is world-wide. Mileage may vary. There may be various promotions going on so it’s best to check.

The MODX has been shipping for less than a month. You can always check with your regional Yamaha office for Rebates and Promotions in your particular area. They can vary greatly depending on where you are...

If you are in the USA, you can check current Rebates and Promotions here
You can check on the current MONTAGE giveaway of Sample Robot here

No word on a MODX promotion just yet... make sure you check in often.

Posted : 04/10/2018 6:41 pm
Prominent Member

I saw posted somewhere that the free download for Montage users is also available to MODX owners. The online download form accepts serial numbers from both units.

Posted : 08/10/2018 12:27 am
 Paul
Topic starter

@Scott, but the form doesn't have an option for modx - so wouldn't that require repeatedly lying about having purchased a montage?

Posted : 09/10/2018 9:52 pm
Prominent Member

I wouldn't worry about that. If they didn't want a MODX owner to have it, they could easily require a Montage-specific serial number. I think they just haven't fully updated the web site. For another example, the page of optional sound libraries for the MODX at https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/sound_library.html has Montage-specific references on the various downloadable sounds as you scroll down... i.e. "Requires MONTAGE OS V1.5 or higher" or "optimized for Montage" etc. ... yet they are obviously being recommended to MODX owners.

Posted : 15/10/2018 4:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I notice that the FAQs for MODX have what seems to be a "cut-and-paste" error of saying "Montage" when "MODX" would have applied.

I'm not sure that's the best argument for "feeling right" about telling an online form that you have a different keyboard than it asks you have. Even if the form isn't updated - and eventually will be - I'd probably advise waiting on the updates to avoid having to FM-X-spectral-skirt the truth.

With a Monday 10/15 announcement on the way for SampleRobot - chances are, along with bug fixes, we may see news about more official MODX support.

Posted : 15/10/2018 5:04 am
Prominent Member

I've seen that MODX owners have downloaded the free Montage edition Sample Robot... but apparently it is not officially offered after all. It didn't work for me, and when I emailed them about it, they wrote back:

We apologize but unfortunately the MODX is not eligible for the Sample Robot for Montage. This is a different keyboard and the website will reject the serial number.

We double checked with our developers and they confirmed that this offer is only intended for Montage.

Posted : 04/03/2019 7:55 pm
Scott
Eminent Member

As a MODX owner and previous Montage owner, I actually think it would be very fair if they didn't offer a free version for the MODX, what you get for the price in a MODX is already extremely good, Montage owners pay 3 or 4 times the cost of the MODX for their machines, so think if people don't like it they could always spend another few grand on a Montage or just pay the license fee for Sample Robot, I think I'm guessing which one is a lot cheaper.

Posted : 05/03/2019 4:18 am
 Phil

Hi, I have just bought a MODX and now found out that Sample Robot isn't available, I had watched a video with a Yamaha rep saying that it will become available to MODX users. This is disappointing. The link below jumps straight to the time stamp.

Posted : 24/04/2019 5:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've seen the same mention which is what I based my assertions that it would likely eventually be supported. This is likely more in the hands of Skylife's business decisions than having anything to do with Yamaha. Sample Robot is 3rd party (not Yamaha).

Posted : 24/04/2019 6:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us