Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

send program changes to external midi keyboard without sacrificing playable part

18 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=120283]Thank you for explaining Bad Mister, and I'm sorry for not using the correct terminology. I'm still not completely clear though:

I have activated the ZONE switch in Part 8, set the INT SW to OFF and Transmit Channel to 8 for the YC to respond to Program Changes, and Expression and Sustain pedal signals. For Parts 1-7 ZONE is OFF. This seems to work fine. Why then should I set ZONE Switches to ON and INT SW to ON for Parts 1-7? What's the advantage of doing this?[/quotePost]In your particular case, none. It will work the way you describe.

Because the data being transmitted OUT from slots 1-7 is being received by no device that you have connected however...
We are talking about UNDERSTANDING how it works. So my in depth details deal with how it is designed to work and what is actually being sent or not sent.

If a device was connected via MIDI and was capable of receiving MIDI on Channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 then the MIDI that is Output from those Part slots would arrive and trigger the connected device.

__ You are using Channel 8 for the YC - when you truly understand how the ZONE function works you will understand why you could use any of the MIDI Channels. If you are thinking that you have to use Channel 8, then you are NOT understanding the significance of this point. By turning the ZONE Switch to ON and the INT SW to ON in Parts 1-7, you ensure that the MODX can trigger the MODX Parts yet send nothing OUT via MIDI... Therefore, you are free to use any of the 16 MIDI Channels to address your YC from the slot designated to control it.

Part slot 8 (ZONE 8) can be set to any MIDI channel you wish... it will not conflict with any of the other slots because they will not be transmitting OUT via MIDI at all.

What if your receiving device only could receive on Channel 1. When you understand the ZONE function you realize that the MODX does not address itself using MIDI Channels. The MIDI Data from any Part can be prevented from being transmitted by using a ZONE, INT SW ON and Transmit Ch = OFF. Say you wanted to address the YC using Channel 1.
You would set the ZONE in Part slot 8 to "Transmit Channel = 1"
Because the MODX Part in Slot 1 will NOT be transmitting any data... therefore Channel 1 is available.

Small point but important to understand.

Posted : 03/02/2023 8:08 pm
 Rob
Estimable Member
Topic starter

All is clear and working as intended. Many thanks everyone!

Posted : 03/02/2023 9:17 pm
Prominent Member

All is clear and working as intended.

You may want to both bookmark this thread and copy it to your computer. Sometimes links get lost or broken and you can't find the thread anymore.

I also suggest you reread Bad Mister's replies. There is a LOT of detailed explanation in them that you won't find well documented anywhere else.

His replies explain how the functionality is designed to be used. You certainly may have found a different way that works (not using zones for the parts you play) for this one particular use case.

But when you later begin recording or using a DAW you would suddenly find your MIDI flooded with info from those parts and not know how to fix that problem.

If, instead, you do it the way Bad Mister advised (even if this use case doesn't require it) it will work properly no matter what you do later.

Posted : 03/02/2023 10:28 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us