Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sound Cut-Off/Polyphony issues

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I play at my church almost every week and I've used the MOXF6 for the majority of 2020. I would layer the Full Concert Grand, Strings Ensemble, and a Bell Pad and it worked fine. Our church switched to a MODX7 which, on the surface, sounded pretty good. However, when I try to layer those sounds listed above, the polyphony runs out and so the sound cuts off while I'm playing. I even tried just using piano and strings but the same issue occurs. (I do use a sustain pedal)

How can I avoid these polyphony issues when wanting to layer sounds? If there aren't really any solutions, any alternatives for those sounds that may stop this from happening would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted : 28/03/2021 12:15 am
Prominent Member

I can't explain why the MODX would have less polyphony for those three sounds than the MOXF did, but if you could find an FM sound that is close enough to substitute for your Strings Ensemble or Bell Pad sound, that would extend your polyphony, since the FM sound would have its own polyphony that wouldn't affect the other two sounds.

Posted : 28/03/2021 1:18 am
Antony
Estimable Member

My guess would be the Parts on the MODX7 are a lot more substantive than the MOXF6.

For example -
MOXF = Just Piano Samples
MODX7 = Multiple Piano Velocity Samples plus extras - key off, key thunk etc

If you look hard, I suspect you'll find a lot of redundant elements in your performance, considering your actual needs.

Multiply this through adding Strings etc and you run out of polyphony.

Suggest building performance from GREEN (Single Part) performances in Category search.

Also as previous from Scott, look for Alternatives on the FM-X engine.

Posted : 28/03/2021 1:48 am
Prominent Member

Suggest building performance from GREEN (Single Part) performances in Category search.

If he's layering the same three sounds that he was layering on the MOXF, then they are single part (green) sounds already. (All the MOXF sounds are in the MODX, and I don't see why they should take any more polyphony on the MODX than they took on the MOXF...?)

Posted : 28/03/2021 1:59 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You may want to try switching the position of your Parts. Part location determines polyphony stealing priority - so swapping locations may help.

Posted : 28/03/2021 3:23 am
Prominent Member

You may want to try switching the position of your Parts. Part location determines polyphony stealing priority - so swapping locations may help.

That's a good point. Although technically it would not explain why the same sounds would exhaust polyphony on the MODX but not the MOXF, it allows for the possibility that he WAS dropping notes on the MOXF, but because of different note stealing, he couldn't tell he was running out of notes. So both keyboards may have been dropping notes, but with the MOXF not doing it as audibly because they weren't being dropped with the same priority rules.

Posted : 28/03/2021 11:02 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us