Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Suggestions about how to use the MODX with external synths AND Cubase, keeping all connected and powered on

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Have been shuffling my hardware around lately, and ended up settling for a minimal setup with different hardware synths, which I want to drive via MODX.

I created a performance, with zones, each part has a zone, which address a specific channel for a specific hardware synth, and to glue everything together, since some synths do not have midi thru, I have got an iConnect Midi4+; which I configured to send the signal from the midi MODX to all the synths. Since each synth receive midi on a different channel (2 through 6), I can play them all layered or individually, and I left CH1 for VST instruments in my DAW (cubase pro) all seems OK with just the hardware.

Although there are 2 issues:

1) the MODX best asset is also what is killing me: when I switch performance, and my synths are on, if I play a multipart, my synths get the signal on their respective channel and they play too. You may say "just turn them off"; which is a logic statement, but I hope I can find a way to either have the synths to play only when my hardware performance is selected, or to tell the MODX to not use 1 channel per part, except when using the hardware performance.
Looked at the manual and could not find a solution to that. Basically this hinder me while using the DAW, because in cubase, if I turn on master control and use the MODX as "standalone", I can hear the audio from the MODX but can't record midi tracks, because no midi is sent in that mode; while if I turn off master control and send midi, then I won't hear the MODX output because master control is off; and the other synths will play because each part of the performance send midi on a different channel.
Fundamentally I can't find a way to use both the midi to the hardware and to the DAW, and also be able to play the MODX performances and record midi and audio at the same time.

2) One of my synths, an Integra7, has 16 channels; and the problem is that the MODX does not address from the keyboard more than 8 parts, so I can't play the other 8 parts if I make a performance with all 16 channels of the integra7. Those 8 parts can be addressed via midi, from what the manual say, but I am using the MODX as master keyboard so I have nothing else sending midi to those 8 parts, so they won't play basically

Any suggestions about how to set things up? I can technically use a secondary midi keyboard just for the integra, switching channels on it; but I do not want 2 keyboards on my limited space. As far as the first issue, I can just record the MODX separately from the other synths, but that is more prep work and doing so kinda kill productivity.

Posted : 14/08/2020 6:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can configure single-channel MIDI mode OR multi-(MIDI)-channel MIDI mode on a Performance-by-Performance basis. You do this by leveraging the fact that Zone control defeats single-channel MIDI mode. So you can set MODX into single-channel MIDI mode then set Zone Control ON for any Performance you want multi-channel mode.

----- snipped from another message -----

Use of zones defeats single channel mode. It's just one of those things. At least that part isn't much of a mystery to me due to having internalized that from the discussions and documentation.

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-category/montage-midi-zone-master-faq

CAN'T I SIMPLY SET THE MONTAGE MIDI I/O MODE = SINGLE AND USE THE ZONE MASTER FOR EXTERNAL?
==========================================================================================
Yes - but not at the same time. When Zone Master is enabled in UTILITY and the current Performance has Zone Switches set to On, this setting overrides the MIDI I/O Mode "Single" setting. Activating the Zone Switch within a Performance (Zone enabled) automatically changes the status to address multiple devices. Whatever is setup in the currently selected Performance will determine what gets transmitted OUT via MIDI and on what channels that data will travel on.

Additionally, note that in MIDI I/O mode Multi, the Arps can be set to send their MIDI data Out externally, in I/O mode Single only the keys you physical press are transmitted Out via MIDI. The Arpeggiators do not Output their data via MIDI when I/O Mode Single is selected.

------ snip ------

As far as your 16-channel Integra7 issue (meaning - MODX can't send MIDI out all 16 channels at one time by direct piano key control) - this isn't going to really resolve without placing some form of MIDI routing logic between. There's hardware and software solutions to this. MIDI Solution's Event Processor Plus can do this - but you may only get 6 channels from 1 (instead of 8 from 1).

A computer can handle all of this routing without limitation (well, with the right software). All the DAWs I've worked with have been able to do this routing either natively or using free plugins that handle MIDI routing. I've used, on a PC, MIDI scripting software like "Ctrlr" to handle this - but this is fairly advanced in the programming department. Also there's Camelot Pro that can handle this level of routing (it can't do everything - but this it can do).

Before tackling Integra7, however, I would "straighten out" your MIDI routing and make sure outside of just losing 8 channels for the Integra7 that everything else is working and setup properly.

Posted : 14/08/2020 8:40 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Jason.

So you say that the zone setting is per-performance? Because when I go in the settings, the zone label is on the diagram, even if I am using a different performances from the one used to control the hardware synths.
Seems that either you have the zone settings on globally or not; unless I am doing something wrong. Going through the manual now to try to understand what am I doing wrong. I am OK with zones defying the setting for single channel, it make sense; as long as it is something you can configure per patch; because if it is a global setting then it gets quite complicate to manage things πŸ™

Thanks for the suggestion; honestly I see that there is no reason for me to use 16 channels directly from the keyboard of the MODX, because I will not play ALL of them at the same time; it is much simpler to have 16 audio channels that listen to 16 midi channels triggered only by the Integra7; so I achieve what I want (swap between the 16 channels of the integra using the same keyboard), using the DAW instead of the MODX itself. I am thinking that I can also divide the 16 channels of the integra in 2x8 channels performances; that would work too. Would be cool if you could layer 2 different performances on each other (like 2x8 parts performances layered, instead of 1x16 parts); but I get that it would involve changes at the hardware level probably, and it is not something you can fix with a software update.

Going to try the zone setting suggestion now; going through the manual first to be sure I didn't miss anything; if you have any article or video that show how to have different performances using zones on and off, that would really help me. Thanks!

Posted : 15/08/2020 1:45 am
Bad Mister

Extra Credit: the following article applies in full to the MODX, as well

Link β€” Zone Master FAQ

Posted : 15/08/2020 2:16 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's Zone master (global, system level) - then there's Performance (PART Common)-level zone. If you do not have any PART with zone turned on - then this does not defeat the MIDI single-vs-multi setting.

From the Zone FAQ:

When Zone Master is enabled in UTILITY --AND-- the current Performance has Zone Switches set to On, this setting overrides the MIDI I/O Mode "Single" or "Hybrid" setting

This is what I originally quoted in my first message. I'm adding emphasis to "and" above.

Here's what the "Zone Switch" inside a PART looks like:

Posted : 15/08/2020 3:04 am
Topic starter

Extra Credit: the following article applies in full to the MODX, as well

Zone Master FAQ

Thanks for the article link; went through it and got some clarity at least about the zones settings.

Basically if I have zone master on in settings->advanced, that allow me to use the zones in the performances that has zones setup, even if I have midi IO mode set to single on channel 1

Posted : 15/08/2020 4:12 am
Topic starter

There's Zone master (global, system level) - then there's Performance (PART Common)-level zone. If you do not have any PART with zone turned on - then this does not defeat the MIDI single-vs-multi setting.

From the Zone FAQ:

When Zone Master is enabled in UTILITY --AND-- the current Performance has Zone Switches set to On, this setting overrides the MIDI I/O Mode "Single" or "Hybrid" setting

This is what I originally quoted in my first message. I'm adding emphasis to "and" above.

Good clarification; I thought there were 2 settings that were mutually exclusive, instead the master setting turn zones on, and the performance part setting turn on the specific zone to use it; if no zone is set, all works in single mode.

Although I am stuck now with the setup.

I have the external synths working fine; but with local control off; I can't hear anything when playing the other MODX performances. I am using USB connection, and the MODX is not my audio interface, just a device. Zones are on and I have single IO mode for midi, set to channel1
My USB out as MODX1 is the output of the midi from the keyboard; MODX2 is the DAW output, and MODX3 should be the "loopback", so if I route the input of MODX1 to MODX3, as in the tutorial article about midi, I should hear the internal engine playing, but it does not. What am I missing?

Posted : 15/08/2020 4:15 am
Bad Mister

My USB out as MODX1 is the output of the midi from the keyboard; MODX2 is the DAW output, and MODX3 should be the "loopback", so if I route the input of MODX1 to MODX3, as in the tutorial article about midi, I should hear the internal engine playing, but it does not. What am I missing?

When you are using the MODX as a Master MIDI Keyboard, you have choices. You can setup to control external MIDI hardware β€” typically using the 5-pin MIDI Out. You can setup to record to an external DAW β€” typically using the USB β€œTo Host” port to communicate with a DAW software. You can additionally, expand the setup to address other hardware synth engines, soft-synth virtual instruments.

So learning how it works is the best way to tackle the setup that is going to comfortable for what you think you want do.

I put it that way, because, as you are starting to discover, there are some things that require you make certain changes.
First, let’s understand a few default settings and behaviors:

When using the MODX as MIDI controller via the 5-pin jack (no computer) your Settings for Local Control will be likely ON...so that the MODX Keyboard can directly trigger the MODX Tone Generator.

When the MODX as MIDI Controller via USB to a computer DAW, your setting for Local Control will likely be OFF... this means you will determine *where* your Control stream goes using the DAW routing... you can direct the keyboard control, wherever you desire. The MODX Keys are disconnected from the MODX Tone Engine. So now you must determine what is going to sound, by your activating and routing within the DAW... using a separate MIDI TRACK for each destination.

The MODX Keys are now a separate entityβ€” and will only sound when you direct the MIDI messages back Out from the DAW MIDI Track on MODX-Port 1. The MIDI Channel you set on the individual Track... if you set it to Port 1, Channel 1, the only item that will sound, is the MODX Part 1. If you set a different Track to Port 1, Channel 2 it will only sound the MODX Part 2.

The MODX Tone Generator is now just the same as any soft synth plugin, or other hardware you have connected to your system. You must direct the MIDI data from the MODX Keys to a MIDI Track set to echo (reroute) that data on a specific path to a specific destination.

You most likely don’t need a MIDI Channel for plugin synths... you can create an INSTRUMENT Track (your mileage can vary). INSTRUMENT Track will allow you to address a plugin that is a single instance stereo out. But if your plugin or your other module is also multiple channels then it should be addressed via a (dedicated) Port and a specific channel on that Port.

For example, if you connect a hardware synth to the 5-pin MIDI Out while setup with USB. that Port does not address the MODX β€” data simply pass Thru on its way to the 5-pin MIDI jack. So when you setup a MIDI TRACK that has MODX Port 1 as the MIDI IN, and has MODX Port 3 as the MIDI OUT, that data does not trigger the MODX at all, it passes through the MODX and arrives at whatever hardware synth you connect to the 5-pin OUT.

If that hardware device is 16 channel multi-timbral, you have selected MODX Port 3, and you set that MIDI TRACK to whichever MIDI Channel on that device you want to control. So to answer the question... you should NOT be hearing the MODX, you should be hearing the hardware synth connected to the 5-pin MIDI OUT jack on the MODX back panel.

NEXT LEVEL

Fundamentally I can't find a way to use both the midi to the hardware and to the DAW, and also be able to play the MODX performances and record midi and audio at the same time.

If you seek to open the door to multiple channel operation, (Like using the ZONE MASTER function, and record both MODX sounds and plugins and hardware synths all at the same time... you should first get comfortable with single channel operations and work your way up, a step at a time.

If you seek to combine MODX’s ability to transmit on eight channels simultaneously, you must recognize the nature of what that means. It may sound silly, but I recommend trying two before attempting to do the maximum 8. Once you’ve mastered and see the potential and/or compromises you need to make.... you may decide the most efficient way to accomplish some things involves overdubbing... and it may not be actually practical to do it all at the same time. But much like any artwork, you can construct the structure you need to accomplish the goal once you are familiar with operating the tools.

I would start with just mastering recording the MODX to DAW. Once you are comfortable recording single Parts, two Parts, recording with Arps... Etc. encountering these things for the first time while trying to simultaneously juggle 3 or 4 more things is a lofty goal β€” approach it one rung at a time.

Most DAW MIDI Tracks are going to record all incoming MIDI data, when attempting to transmit and record on multiple MIDI channels you want to be able to isolate the individual streams. Are you using Cubase Pro? Pro will make some of the routing issues much easier and flexible. With Cubase Pro you can Filter all but the one MIDI Channel you want on a per Track basis.

Posted : 15/08/2020 5:41 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us