Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Too many sustain events being sent to the DAW using SONAR

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi All, hope someone can help me. I'm using a MODX and SONAR X3 on a WIndows platform. I've hooked many keyboards to SONAR before in the past including a Motif XS6 which worked beautifully. However, I'm finding lots of problem using the MODX with the DAW. The most recent is that I find too many pedal press and depress midi events being sent in a single action of pressing the pedal and depressing. Even if I record without playing a single note and simple press and release the pedal it get about 4-5 press and release midi events all stacked up one on top the other. This may explain why my piano notes sometimes cut off in the middle of playing as I run out of of polyphony. As mentioned I use the MOTIF without issues. Also have a Fantom G8, No issues there too. Any ideas?

Posted : 19/04/2020 4:13 pm
Bad Mister

The MODX is very different from the Motif and Fantom, in that you can transmit on multiple MIDI Channels simultaneously. If you are playing “CFX + FM EP” a five Part Performance and you are set to MIDI I/O = Multi, the MODX will transmit on five MIDI Channels, 1-5.
If you are playing “CFX Concert” a four Part Performance, the MODX will transmit on four MIDI Channels, 1-4.

The MODX is capable of transmitting on as many as eight MIDI channels simultaneously, 1 thru 8. This is to accommodate controlling both instrument sounds you play directly and those that may be under the control of one of the eight possible Arpeggiators. You can understand that if you were controlling the piano plus a drum Kit playing an Arp, how you would definitely want to have the data from the Drum Arp on a separate MIDI Channel from the piano notes.

Let’s use “CFX + FM EP” as an example of a Multi Part instrument.
You will notice Parts 1-5 Each has the KBD CTRL icon active (green). This is what links them to play and be controlled simultaneously via the Keyboard.

There are several ways to approach recording single instruments that use multiple Parts.
One is to set the “MIDI I/O Mode“ = Hybrid.
Hybrid allows you to select a Multi Part Sound, for example, “CFX + FM EP” on a single transmit and receive channel. And allows you to use the other Parts, 6 through 16, in a similar fashion as you would on your older synths (one Part, one Channel, to one MIDI Track).

“CFX + FM EP” occupies the first 5 Parts, the acoustic piano sounds when the Super Knob is at minimum, and the FM electric piano sounds when you move the Super Knob toward maximum (you can move this with an FC7 pedal plugged into Foot Controller 2.

Press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “Advanced“ > set the MIDI I/O Mode to “Hybrid”, and set the Channel = 1
This will allow you to transmit to your DAW on a single channel, while playing the 5-Part Performance.

Part 6 will transmit/receive on Channel 6
Part 7 will transmit/receive on Channel 7
And so on through to Part 16 on Channel 16.

By activating Hybrid as the I/O Mode, the linked Multi Parts will all work as a single entity, on a single Channel.

Posted : 19/04/2020 4:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us