Notifications
Clear all

Transition smoothly between two voices

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good morning.
I would need to transition smoothly between two voices.
The split point is not enough for me: if a finger exceeds the split point during the performance, the voice should not change drastically but gently from one to the other.
I can only do it by setting the SuperKnob, but of course it doesn't suit me, the volume has to change automatically as you move along the keyboard.

Do you know how to program it?

I thank you in advance.

Posted : 12/07/2023 9:05 am
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=122424]Good morning.
I would need to transition smoothly between two voices.
The split point is not enough for me: if a finger exceeds the split point during the performance, the voice should not change drastically but gently from one to the other.
I can only do it by setting the SuperKnob, but of course it doesn't suit me, the volume has to change automatically as you move along the keyboard.

Do you know how to program it?

I thank you in advance.[/quotePost]You mean transition between Elements or transition between Parts (there are no such entity as “voices”). Forgive us, but the terminology is important, here, in case you want to actually learn to work in the instrument or with its documentation. A search for the word “voice” will lead you no where. You can transition between Elements within a Part.
You can also transition all the Elements in a Part, and all the Elements in another Part so they behave exactly as you require when you merge them into the same Performance.

There is a tutorial article that will show you one of the ways you can program a transition between instrument sounds by programming several amplitude “Break Points” at a specific areas across the scale. The region of transition is up to you…

See the following tutorial (although written for the MONTAGE, it will apply to the MODX/MODX+ as well): MONTAGifying MOTIF: “Wind & Strings”

The sounds in Part 2 of the studied Performance (“Wind & Strings”) uses the Woodwind Part “2 Oboes & Bassoon”

Rather than a hard split point, the low pitched Bassoon Elements (1 and 2) crossfade into the high pitched Oboe Elements (3, 4, 5 and 6) over the range of several notes; the programmer uses the Element’s Amplitude “Scale” > “Break Point” and “Level Offset” parameters to control how loud the Element as you scale the keyboard… to fade the Bassoon out as you go higher, and the two Oboes to fade in at a point where it creates a smooth transition (overlapping regions). This transition makes sense - as it mimics real world instrument range behavior.

If you do not have the 512 Motif XF Performance bank, you can download it from the official MOD/MODX+ Download page.
Or you can simply use the MODX/MODX+ Performance “2 Oboes & Bassoon” for study.

Select the Part “2 Oboes & Bassoon”
Press [EDIT]
The active Elements are listed along the bottom of the screen
Start with “Elem1” > “Amplitude” > “Scale”
You pick any 4 points across the MIDI keyboard C-2 thru G8, where C3 = middle “C”

Not sure why you say “of course” to not using the Super Knob — if you have a Yamaha FC7 pedal plugged into either one of the Foot Ctrl 1/2, you can setup smooth transition easily enough using the FC7/SuperKnob link. But you have to have an FC7, of course!

Posted : 12/07/2023 3:54 pm
Topic starter

Great.
I have followed many excellent tutorials but not the one reported.
It will be my next goal.

Yes, I have an FC7 but evidently I don't know how to use it properly yet 🙂

Thank you!

Posted : 13/07/2023 9:43 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=122452]Yes, I have an FC7 but evidently I don't know how to use it properly yet :-)[/quotePost]
Preset Montage performances are programmed to use the FC7 as a SuperKnob controller, if it is plugged in the Foot Controller 2 port.

To verify or set this, go to:
Perf Home -> Edit - Common/Audio -> Control -> Control Number
Set the FootCtrl 2 to SuperKnob (if it's not set already).

Posted : 13/07/2023 11:23 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, I didn’t know if you meant that “of course” as in “of course it doesn’t do that”… — controllers are very customizable within each User Performance… take your time.

If you have only one FC7 pedal, you can set either Foot Ctrl 1 or Foot Ctrl 2 as the “Super Knob”
This is programmable on a per Performance basis. This means if you usually have the FC7 in FC1 for Expression pedal, you can reprogram it to Super Knob for just one Performance.

Hope that helps

Posted : 13/07/2023 4:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us