Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Trying to get a wav file from my MODX8

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there, I'm wondering how I can export my amazing sounding MODX performances to a wav file?
I do it with the USB to Device (USB flash drive) and it sounds great, but it basically just sends what I recorded live without me being able to edit anything. So because I can't play a 5 minute piece without making small mistakes, I have to go into Midi land.
So then I use the Midi recording instead and can use the metronome, and re-record certain measures so it's perfect. But now I only have a midi file that I transfer to my DAW.
If I play the midi back in the MODX, it still sounds great, but it sounds terrible from the DAW when it's not hooked up to the MODX due to crappy piano sampling.

So how do I get a wav file just like USB to Device from the new nice midi I have in the MODX? If I try and create a wav through the DAW, the piano samples are totally different than the MODX and doesn't sound nearly as good. There has to be a way to export to wav once I have my good recording precisely as I like it?

Appreciate the help immensely!!

Posted : 25/01/2019 5:16 am
Bad Mister

Once you record your data as MIDI, you can literally drag-and-drop the .mid File into your DAW.
You then must route the MIDI data from the DAW back to the MODX.

To do so you’ll need to install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for your computer type and operating system and use that driver to route the MIDI data back to the MODX, then you can *return* audio signal to the DAW and capture it to a stereo Audio Track. This back-and-forth allows your DAW to record the audio generated by the MODX as it responds to your MIDI Tracks.

You can, if you wish, route each Part to its own Audio Track if you wish. Each MODX Part can be set so “Part Output” goes to a discreet output bus from the MODX. By default, the Parts are assigned “Main L&R”.

Alternatively, depending on your DAW, you may have additional methods to render your MIDI tracks to audio.

Posted : 25/01/2019 4:18 pm
Topic starter

Hi there thanks for the response. OK so I'm using Cakewalk as my DAW (I see a lot of you guys use Cubase but my music producer uses Cakewalk)
I installed that Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver before and it must be working as I have Cakewalk doing the midi playback through the MODX which sounds great.

So I guess the part I'm missing is how you "return" audio signal to the DAW and capture it to a stereo Audio Track. Any ideas on how to do that through Cakewalk? Or Cubase also if I absolutely have to go that route.

Posted : 25/01/2019 5:43 pm
Bad Mister

I do not know the step-by-step for Cakewalk but if you have selected the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver in your Audio OPTIONS, you need to create a stereo audio Input, Assign an Audio Track to use that input... the first two audio returns from the MODX will be the “Main L&R”.

Posted : 25/01/2019 6:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us