Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Unbalanced or Balanced with Focusrite Audio Interface, does it matter?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I know that MODX has unbalanced outputs. I just bought a 3rd Gen Focusrite 8i6, and before I just had TS cables going from my MODX to my HS7. After some rearranging of the home studio, I tried a pair of TRS from MODX to Focusrite (which as TRS out to monitors). I am unable to hear any discernible differences, I don't know if it's because it takes a few seconds to switch out the cables, and my mind erases the previous sound, or if there is magic in the Focusrite that corrects all that. Not a big issue, just something I need clarification of before insanity kicks in. LOL:D 😀 😀 😀 😀

Posted : 29/04/2020 2:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

TRS cables are not going to benefit you on MODX since, as you've said, it doesn't have balanced outputs. There are only two conductive paths on the output stage of MODX - so having a cable with 3 conductive paths isn't going to do anything to your sound.

If MODX had balanced outputs - I'd say use TRS - as this provides immunity to noise. Even if you have shorter runs. But MODX doesn't have this - so using TRS is just using a more expensive cable with no benefits. The cable is only going to be used in a single-ended unbalanced manner. Something a TS unbalanced cable would do just as well.

Posted : 30/04/2020 2:23 am
Topic starter

Jason,

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I do have TRS cables currently hooked up currently, as I was doing some troubleshooting, so I left them as is. I was getting distortion in my headphones, and it turns out it was the headphone wire, luckily 3 more came with the headphones.

Posted : 02/05/2020 5:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us