Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

using 88 keys for piano control

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a MODX6. Since one can layer up to eight voice on the MODX, i want to use my yamaha p45 to control the CFX concert grand on the MODX and have an Organ voice on the MODX. is there way to do that?

Posted : 19/11/2018 8:05 pm
Prominent Member

You'll have to use CFX Stage (a 1 Part pano) rather than CFX Concert (a 4 Part piano), because the P45 only transmits on 1 MIDI channel at a time (you could do it if your 88 could transmit on 4 MIDI channels at a time), Or you could add an iOS app or MIDI routing device that can take the 1 MIDI channel of the P45 and convert it to 4 MIDI channels.

This has been discussed before, check https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/midi-on-the-modx-same-as-montage-or-moxf/

Posted : 19/11/2018 8:34 pm
Bad Mister

Hi jeson,

There are no “voices” in the MODX. You can layer eight Parts under KBD CTRL (Keyboard Control).

But, yes, you can...
In general, you can create one Multi-Part KBD CTRL entity within your Performance — it can be played by the external controller or by the MODX keyboard.
All Parts of this Performance that are not under KBD CTRL, can be played by the external controller or by the MODX keyboard, by selecting that Part directly, or by transmitting directly to it.

So basically, you can play different MODX instruments simultaneously... one from the MODX Keys, the other from the P45... both triggering MODX sounds. Contrary to belief of others, it is absolutely possible! You’ll need to convert the P45’s USB ‘To Host’ to 5-pin MIDI, connect to the MODX MIDI In, UTILITY > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set MIDI I/O = MIDI

Here’s how to proceed:

With the MODX set to MIDI I/O Mode = Single,
_ using the P45 as a controller to play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance, “CFX Concert” acoustic piano, while the MODX Keys plays a Single Part Organ Part

With the MODX set to MIDI I/O Mode = Multi,
(the P45 can, in Dual Mode, Transmit On two channels).
_ using the P45 as a controller you can play any two adjacent Parts in a Performance; while the MODX plays a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance.

Extra Credit:
Set your MODX to “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single and Set the Receive Channel =1
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > MIDI I/O = Single, Channel =1
This will allow you to MIDI IN from the P45 and play any MODX Performance.
Call up “CFX Concert” it will play just fine... whether it is one Part or all eight Parts. “CFX Concert” is four Parts.

In Part 5, touch the “+” to ‘merge’ a Single Part Organ (green) to the “CFX Concert”
Touching the “+” will take you to the MERGE Search - find a single Part Organ... Blue denotes Multi Part Programs, select a green denotes Single Part. Select an Organ for Part 5.
Return to the Home screen
Deactivate the “KBD CTRL” icon for Part 5, turns grey. You can now play that Organ, any time you *select* Part 5, directly; while playing your P45 Keys (Set Local Control Off on the P45) you’ll be triggering the four Parts of the KBD CTRL’d “CFX Concert”.

Posted : 19/11/2018 8:43 pm
Prominent Member

Another issue... P45 doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI Out jack. The iOS approach can address that as well. If you want to avoid that, you'll need an adapter like one of the ones listed at https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/montage-and-korg-nanokontrol?start=0#reply-74867

Posted : 19/11/2018 8:49 pm
Prominent Member

_ using the P45 as a controller you can play any two adjacent Parts in a Performance; while the MODX plays a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance.

Thanks for the correction, about P45 transmitting on two rather than one channel (and so supporting triggering 2 Parts instead of 1 in this method).

Contrary to belief of others, it is absolutely possible! Here’s how:

_ using the P45 as a controller to play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance, “CFX Concert” acoustic piano, while the MODX Keys plays a Single Part Organ Part
_ using the P45 as a controller you can play a Single Part “CFX Stage” acoustic piano, while the MODX Keys play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance Organ.

Cool! I'm surprised I hadn't come across that in all the other threads I've read about Montage/MODX MIDI receive capabilities (here and elsewhere)... everything I saw indicated that, in Single mode, the internal keys couldn't play anything independently of the the external keys, but it looks like you've got a nice solution for that. The limit of only being able to independently play a single Part from the internal keys is a lot better than none!

Posted : 20/11/2018 4:19 am
Topic starter

Hi jeson,

There are no “voices” in the MODX. You can layer eight Parts under KBD CTRL (Keyboard Control).

But, yes, you can...
In general, you can create one Multi-Part KBD CTRL entity within your Performance — it can be played by the external controller or by the MODX keyboard.
All Parts of this Performance that are not under KBD CTRL, can be played by the external controller or by the MODX keyboard, by selecting that Part directly, or by transmitting directly to it.

So basically, you can play different MODX instruments simultaneously... one from the MODX Keys, the other from the P45... both triggering MODX sounds. Contrary to belief of others, it is absolutely possible! You’ll need to convert the P45’s USB ‘To Host’ to 5-pin MIDI, connect to the MODX MIDI In, UTILITY > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set MIDI I/O = MIDI

Here’s how to proceed:

_ using the P45 as a controller you can play a Single Part “CFX Stage” acoustic piano, while the MODX Keys play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance Organ.

Extra Credit:
Set your MODX to “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single and Set the Receive Channel =1
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > MIDI I/O = Single, Channel =1
This will allow you to MIDI IN from the P45 and play any MODX Performance.
Call up “CFX Concert” it will play just fine... whether it is one Part or all eight Parts. “CFX Concert” is four Parts.

In Part 5, touch the “+” to ‘merge’ a Single Part Organ (green) to the “CFX Concert”
Touching the “+” will take you to the MERGE Search - find a single Part Organ... Blue denotes Multi Part Programs, select a green denotes Single Part. Select an Organ for Part 5.
Return to the Home screen
Deactivate the “KBD CTRL” icon for Part 5, turns grey. You can now play that Organ, any time you *select* Part 5, directly; while playing your P45 Keys (Set Local Control Off on the P45) you’ll be triggering the four Parts of the KBD CTRL’d “CFX Concert”.

Thanks Bad Mister..

Posted : 20/11/2018 8:42 pm

Phil, regarding your reply #2

I think I gained some understanding how to use the MODX's MIDI I/O Mode=Multi with my 88 keys controller, which features four external MIDI zones, that may be layered/split. Lots of possibilities here.

It's possible to control a MODX multi part entity (CFX Concert) by layering all zones of the external controller, and a second multipart entity (Groove Organ) from the MODX keyboard:

I could switch between four single parts by activating the corresponding zone on my 88 keys, and play a multi part entity using MODX keys.

I can control four individual parts with my 88 keys, another four individual parts form MODX by using e.g. KBD CTRL.

My question is now about MIDI I/O Mode=Single, which I would use when the keys controller can send on one MIDI channel only. I managed to setup the scenario you described in "Extra Credits":

but I failed to create a performance allowing for:

"using the P45 as a controller you can play a Single Part “CFX Stage” acoustic piano, while the MODX Keys play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance Organ."

Please, would you point out, how this should be done? Thank you.

Posted : 21/11/2018 2:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It would be the same as MK 1CH Multi+Single except that "Rock Organ 2" would be "CFX Stage" (CFX Stage is only a single PART Performance) and the 1st 4 PARTs would be a 4-Part Organ like "Jazz To All Out"

EDIT: While in single-channel mode - I'm not sure how the local keyboard would control 4 PARTs while the remote keyboard would control 1 PART. I can see how you can control the 4-PART organ with the remote keyboard and control the 1-PART piano with the local keyboard.

Posted : 21/11/2018 3:57 pm

Thanks for your comment, Jason. I realized that the MK 1CH Multi+Single Perfomance from the previous post didn't show, that part Rock Organ 2 has to be selected to work. I reupped the screen shot.

According to your post I came up with this performance:

The Organ part works as expected from the MODX keyboard as all four part are KBD CTRL'd. But the 88 keys do not control the piano part, but the four organ parts instead. I'm puzzled, what's the deal here?

Posted : 21/11/2018 6:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I had to leave for a meeting - but I edited the original message before seeing your response. This could be accomplished by switching to multi-channel mode which allows for you to target PARTs with keyboard control OFF from an external keyboard. For whatever reason, even if you have keyboard control=OFF on PART(s) - these cannot be controlled with an external MIDI controller while MODX is in single-channel mode.

In multi-channel mode, you would turn keyboard control = OFF for the CFX Stage PART and keyboard control=ON for the rest. The MIDI channel of the external keyboard would need to match the channel of CFX stage (MIDI CH 5). Make sure PART 5 is not selected or the local keys will play that PART and not the multi-PART organ. When you press [PERFORMANCE] - this will de-select all PARTs.

Posted : 21/11/2018 8:09 pm

I agree in multi-channel mode it's possible, in fact the performance "MK SinglExt+MultiInt" does this (with four external controlled parts instead of one). So there is a already solution. Anyway, as Phil mentioned it is possible in single-channel mode too, I'm just curious if there is a special trick to achieve that.

Posted : 21/11/2018 9:09 pm
Bad Mister

With the MODX set to MIDI I/O Mode = Single, Set to Ch.1
_ using the P45 as a controller, transmit on Channel 1, to play a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Performance, “CFX Concert” acoustic piano in Parts 1-4, while the MODX Keys plays a Single Part Organ in Part 5... you do so by deactivating KBD CTRL and selecting Part 5 directly.

This is your screenshot.... use the external controller to play the KBD CTRL linked Parts, by transmitting IN on Channel 1
Play the organ by playing the MODX keys.

That, in fact, is how it has to be. The KBD CTRL Parts must be played by the external controller, allowing the single Part to be played locally on the MODX. Sorry, for the confusion.

I assume the weighted keys of the 88 Note external controller to play the “CFX Concert” piano, while the MODX6 or 7 is used to play the organ...

Posted : 21/11/2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Phil.

Posted : 22/11/2018 8:27 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us