Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using Live Set in gig situations

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Having used the MODXF8 in several gig situations, I am ecstatic with how great it sounds (output levels are higher than MOXF8 as far as I can tell) and how easy it was to translate previous MOX performances and voices and then upgrade a lot of them with new capabilities ie scenes etc..

I have a few questions that arose during the effort to get ready for the gig.

1. I used Melas Live set editor to set up the Live set slots/pages with the band setlist. This worked well, however I am looking for a better way of accomplishing the following:
A lot of the time, the MODX will be in case between gigs. I'm looking for suggestions on workflow to construct a "live set" off line since we receive set lists ahead of the gig and then be able to load it into the MODX without having to load samples, performances, etc..ie a full library..

2. I have a question on gain staging in the MODX as far as common volumes in the LIVE set vs the performance common gain. Does the LIVE set gain add gain (like at a setting of 128) or just attenuate from the gain set by the performance common gain?

3. In my MOXF I used to assign the midi FC1 to a value of 64 in the utility menu so I could ultimately create some voices which would assign leslie speed control to sustain pedal. This always worked well. When I tried it in the MODXF I lost the ability to have normal sustain with the sustain pedal on other parts in the performance which did not have leslie effects. This was not a problem when done in the MOXF. Any suggestions on how to get the sustain pedal to act as a leslie speed switch for specific parts in a performance?

Posted : 21/10/2018 3:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The Live Set Volume overrides the programmed Performance's Volume. If the Performance's volume is set at 128 already, then you cannot increase the volume with live set (your override value can only be the same or lower).

Posted : 21/10/2018 5:18 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Mitch,

1. I used Melas Live set editor to set up the Live set slots/pages with the band setlist. This worked well, however I am looking for a better way of accomplishing the following:
A lot of the time, the MODX will be in case between gigs. I'm looking for suggestions on workflow to construct a "live set" off line since we receive set lists ahead of the gig and then be able to load it into the MODX without having to load samples, performances, etc..ie a full library..

One very excellent option is the Yamaha Soundmondo app for iPad/iPhone. You can store all of your Performances as icons in your iOS device.

(See attached screenshot)

The app can “Capture” a bulk of each of your Performances, you can rank them, categorize them.
The app can organize them into “Set Lists” - this can be done offline. And reorganizing a Set is as easily as you move app icons on an iOS device (touch and hold, then drag and drop, then touch to release).

Tapping an icon Sends a bulk to your instrument when you are connected via USB (LUCA).
Since the Performances it is accessing are on *your* MODX, all the necessary Waveform, and Arpeggio data is already in place and only needs to be referenced.

2. I have a question on gain staging in the MODX as far as common volumes in the LIVE set vs the performance common gain. Does the LIVE set gain add gain (like at a setting of 128) or just attenuate from the gain set by the performance common gain?

The Volume setting stored in the Live Set is applying a change to the stored valued. The maximum value is 127, however. 128 would be a fictious value... 0 through 127 is one hundred twenty eight numbers, zero being significant in MIDI. The LIVE SET is actually “referencing” the original Performance and simply applies this new Volume setting to the Live Set entry. This allows you to use the same Performance again and again with different “pre-set” Volumes as you may require.

If, for example, you need an Acoustic Piano at 122, then need to switch to Strings, and Synth Lead before returning to the Acoustic Piano at 96... you can setup your programmed Live Set slots accordingly. There are so many slots - do not be afraid to enter the programs in the order you will recall them... You can use a Foot Switch set to "Live Set+" to advance through them.

3. In my MOXF I used to assign the midi FC1 to a value of 64 in the utility menu so I could ultimately create some voices which would assign leslie speed control to sustain pedal. This always worked well. When I tried it in the MODXF I lost the ability to have normal sustain with the sustain pedal on other parts in the performance which did not have leslie effects. This was not a problem when done in the MOXF. Any suggestions on how to get the sustain pedal to act as a leslie speed switch for specific parts in a performance?

I’m not really exactly sure how that worked. Seems if you set FC1 to CC64, this would interfere with normal operations of the MOXF Sustain function throughout the instrument. Yes, it would make the Sustain Pedal work whatever parameter you set as the Control Set Destination for FC1... but it seems it would prevent normal Sustain operations globally. In the MOXF you had to set the Foot Controller in Utility making it a global setting. You should have lost control over all other Sustain Pedal functions... unless I miss something in your description...

Anyway...
The MODX has the ability to set the Controllers on an individual per Performance basis. For example, Yamaha traditionally puts the Rotary Speaker (Leslie) Speed Control on the MW. Primarily because it works most like the “Chorale/Tremolo” lever that was attached to the mighty B3 to switch speeds, plus it remains where you leave it... When using a Sustain type pedal you must keep it engaged to stay at the speed.

Example:
Call up the organ sound on the MODX, likely MW will be doing Speed Control for the Rotary Speaker Effect (if assigned)...
from the HOME screen
press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number”
Here you can set the Foot Control 1 = 1 (which is MW)
This will make it a MW.
You can now use an FC7 plugged into FC1 to switch speeds.

Example 2:
If you wish to program the Sustain pedal to be your Rotary Speaker, Speed Control, you can, but all Parts of the Performance will have the Foot Control 1 = 64;
Within the PART (or Parts) with the organ, set the CONTROL ASSIGN set to Source = "FootCtrl 1", and Destination = "InsX SpdCtrl" (where X is the Insert Effect block)
Typically, on the Tone Wheel organs the Rotary Speaker is either INSERT A or B, and the MW is the default "Speed Control". You would need to set the Source to Foot Ctrl 1 and set the Control Number for Foot Controller 1 to 64.

Now when you step on the Sustain Pedal instead of it sustaining the notes in this Performance, an FC7 plugged into the Foot Controller 1 jack will switch the "Speed Control" on the Rotary Speaker.

Hope that helps.

Attached files

Posted : 21/10/2018 6:41 pm
 Gary
Eminent Member

Soundmondo sounds great BM. I’ve been using MIDI Designer to send PC to LiveSet mode on Montage.

I wonder, will the bulk dump from Soundmondo work if user samples are utilized in a Performances?

Also, what about the Master functions, does the bulk receive capture and send all the Zone settings, pitch, zone, PC of slave?

I would imagine it’s a bit slower than just sending PC to LiveSet slots?

Thanks for the info, G

Posted : 25/10/2018 2:09 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

User waveforms or user curves or microtuning or other "corner cases" to using this approach.

Posted : 25/10/2018 2:16 am
 Gary
Eminent Member

I don’t understand what you’ve said there Jason...?
G

Posted : 25/10/2018 4:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You're wondering about corner cases to using Soundmondo as a means to manage Performances - if user Waveforms will work or not using this approach. I'm throwing onto that pile of corner cases other items which may trip up this method.

Posted : 25/10/2018 9:36 am
Bad Mister

I wonder, will the bulk dump from Soundmondo work if user samples are utilized in a Performances?

It does not matter if Factory samples or User samples are involved because they are already in ROM/Flash ROM, along with both Factory Arpeggios and User Arpeggios, Factory Curves and User Curves, Factory MicroTunings and your User MicroTunings - these are already in ROM, and are simply referenced when you bulk the data from Soundmondo. So as long as you are returning the data to *your* Instrument the bulk restores every Performance parameter necessary to make the Performance play properly. It’s based on the Waveform, Arpeggio, Curve, Microtuning catalogues of *your* Instrument.

Also, what about the Master functions, does the bulk receive capture and send all the Zone settings, pitch, zone, PC of slave?

Yes, all Performance parameters that get stored in an internal Performance are bulked back and forth.

But in order to use the App, you are using MIDI via USB to your iOS device. This is a bi-directional, closed, communication. What you intend to do with Master programs requires a different MIDI configuration entirely. The App is designed to control your MONTAGE/MODX not your entire MIDI configuration.

If that is what you’re looking for then you need to look at other “Control” systems. Or simply use the synth’s own built-in Master functions directly. You can’t use the App to control the synth *and* then have the synth control your rig. I talk with a lot of people who that is what they (think) they want to do... they like the control functions of the synth, but then want it to be under control of something else.... I’m not saying that this can’t be done, just Not easily.

The Zone Master Mode is designed to actively control (not be controlled).
You should look for a solution where there is one master, one master that can address *all* devices you wish to control.

To use the App properly use it to control the MONTAGE/MODX alone.

I would imagine it’s a bit slower than just sending PC to LiveSet slots?

Well, if you’re thinking about using this to control the synth - it’s fast, fast, fast... but if your goal is to use this to control the synth and then have the synth control the rest of your rig (that’s not practical) you’ll need to change routing... For MIDI I/O - the App is not meant to speak through to your other devices. That’s a separate operation with a different configuration.

What you need (practically speaking) is a control system that addresses all your devices as separate nodes. The idea of controlling one device and then to have it control the others, is not easily constructed and would vary greatly based on the devices involved. You really need a one stop solution.

The App works one on one with the synth.
It is not designed to setup any other devices except the directly connected MONTAGE/MODX. Sorry.

Posted : 25/10/2018 12:06 pm
Prominent Member

Soundmondo sounds great... but I was disappointed when I went to get it today, and got the message that it requires iOS 11. I'm still on 10, and don't want to upgrade, because I have some apps that won't work under 11. (Even including some from Yamaha, btw.) 🙁

Posted : 26/10/2018 9:34 pm
Prominent Member

A tip that might help some people, if you have multiple iOS devices. As I was saying above, I was not able to load Soundmondo onto my iOS 10 iPad. But let's say you also have an iPhone or some other i-device on iOS 11+. Once you load Soundmondo onto that, you can go back to your old iOS10 (or even iOS 9) device, and now you'll get an option that allows you to download an older version of Soundmondo that runs on your older-OS device!

Posted : 04/01/2019 4:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us