Notifications
Clear all

Want to try MIDI THRU only, no MIDI cmds from MODX

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

QUESTION:
How do I configure MODX to send ONLY MIDI info it is receiving OUT via MIDI and not have it add MIDI info to the outbound MIDI signal?

DETAILS:
I am using OnSong on an iPad. It is connected via MIDI cable (not USB) to my MODX, then to my BeatBuddy (BB) drum machine, then back to iPad. That's the MIDI loop.

BB = MIDI CHANNEL 1
MODX = MIDI CHANNEL 2

MODX is responding as I want it to (automatic Performance changes when I change songs in OnSong...(MSB 62)) but the BB is not responding as it should. I don't think it is getting the MIDI commands OnSong is sending to it. OnSong is sending Program change commands (via Channel 1) that pull up the songs automatically, changes in tempo, volume etc. to the BeatBuddy.

From what I've read, I think maybe the MODX could be sending too much MIDI info and the BB doesn't know what to do with all of it. (I think) I want to turn off everything the MODX is sending out (via MIDI) EXCEPT what OnSong is sending IN... Hence I'm guessing this is the purpose of MIDI THRU.

I've reversed the flow of the MIDI loop (iPad to BB to MODX to iPad) and it does work. Both instruments get the MIDI signal and they both do what they should...until my BB "flakes out." It's a separate issue I'm trying to resolve with Singular Sound who makes the BeatBuddy. When this happens, nothing gets the signal and nothing works correctly. I'd rather have at least the MODX working correctly and worry about the BB issues later.

SUMMARY: So back to original question.... how do I configure MODX to send ONLY MIDI info it is receiving OUT via MIDI and not have it add MIDI info to the outbound MIDI signal? I've tried every option I can see to try and nothing seems to get the signal to the BB that it can understand.

Thanks you crazy smart people.

Posted : 23/10/2019 3:07 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can configure MODX's MIDI OUT port to MIDI THRU by pressing the [UTILITY] button and changing MIDI I/O settings:

Posted : 23/10/2019 5:05 am
Topic starter

So enabling THRU keeps the MIDI signals the MODX generates to NOT be sent out?.... which is what I want to try.

Posted : 24/10/2019 10:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Assuming MIDI signal flow only flows from left to right, you can look at the picture and see that the local keyboard is cutoff from sending MIDI to "MIDI Out" when MIDI THRU is enabled - and instead only MIDI messages coming in from the MIDI IN port will flow out to the MIDI OUT port.

As an editorial comment, it would be much more clear if these charts had large arrows denoting the signal flow so there is no ambiguity. If flow is bidirectional, then arrows on both ends. If flowing in one direction - then the destination of a line would have an arrow-head showing the direction of flow.

Even so, inference is fairly safe here that the line between "MIDI In" and "Arpeggiator" is only flowing from MIDI IN to the input of the arpeggiator/tone generator (left to right) and not the other way around.

Posted : 24/10/2019 11:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us