Clear all

1 question regarding ARP

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Lovin this thing so far. Can get overwhelming at times but such a great tool to make music with. Anyway, the question:

1. Can arps be synced to incoming MIDI clock?

I went into the arp settings earlier but didn't see an option to sync to external clock.

Posted : 29/09/2017 2:08 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

ARPs play according to the tempo and the tempo can be synchronized with external sources:

Source: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/812529/montage_en_rm_a0.pdf

[UTILITY] -> [Settings] -> [MIDI I/O]

MIDI Sync

You can set various parameters related to MIDI clock and synchronization here.
Determines whether Arpeggio/Motion Sequencer/Song playback will be synchronized to the instrument’s
internal clock, an external MIDI clock, or the Audio signal input from the A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks.

Settings: Internal, MIDI, A/D In

Internal: Synchronization to internal clock. You can use this setting when this tone generator is to be used alone or
as the master clock source for other equipment.

MIDI: Synchronization to a MIDI clock received from an external MIDI instrument via MIDI. Use this setting when the
external sequencer is to be used as master.

A/D In: Synchronization to the tempo of the Audio signal received via the A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks.

Posted : 29/09/2017 3:30 am
Bad Mister

Yes, Arpeggios can be sync'd to Clock of the MONTAGE which can be sync'd to external MIDI Clock, but recognize that there is a "human factor" - that being, you must trigger note-on events to initiate the Start and, depending on your ARP settings, you may interact with it during play. Arps do not Start by pressing a button, they start, once armed, by pressing a Key. If you are early or late triggering the note, your ARP phrase will be offset off the beat by the amount you missed the downbeat. This allows you to offset the phrase from the Beat.

Sync Quantize Value is a parameter that help auto correct the *start* of the ARP phrase so that you do not have to be but within the set Quantize value. For most musicians a setting of 120 pulse per quarter note (16th note) suffices. If your timing is really bad you can set it to an eighth note or quarter note.

Posted : 29/09/2017 12:02 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason wrote:

ARPs play according to the tempo and the tempo can be synchronized with external sources:

Source: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/812529/montage_en_rm_a0.pdf

[UTILITY] -> [Settings] -> [MIDI I/O]

MIDI Sync

You can set various parameters related to MIDI clock and synchronization here.
Determines whether Arpeggio/Motion Sequencer/Song playback will be synchronized to the instrument’s
internal clock, an external MIDI clock, or the Audio signal input from the A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks.

Settings: Internal, MIDI, A/D In

Internal: Synchronization to internal clock. You can use this setting when this tone generator is to be used alone or
as the master clock source for other equipment.

MIDI: Synchronization to a MIDI clock received from an external MIDI instrument via MIDI. Use this setting when the
external sequencer is to be used as master.

A/D In: Synchronization to the tempo of the Audio signal received via the A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks.

Thanks Jason, I had it configured like that. I guess what I really meant was, can Scenes be synced and started externally (by MIDI clock start message transmitted from ext. sequencer) to play back included arps, lfos and motion sequences in general? Anyway, I guess the work-around is to record the scenes (with motion sequences) into the Montage recorder, then have the recorder slaved to the external sequencer. Would be nice if we could swap out sounds and arps once the MIDI data is dropped into the recorder. I realize all of this is quite seamless when using Cubase (which I have done, btw) but I like to start my songs without a computer, then fire it up when it's time to track and mix. Thanks again for all of your help:)

Posted : 29/09/2017 1:52 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Yes, Arpeggios can be sync'd to Clock of the MONTAGE which can be sync'd to external MIDI Clock, but recognize that there is a "human factor" - that being, you must trigger note-on events to initiate the Start and, depending on your ARP settings, you may interact with it during play. Arps do not Start by pressing a button, they start, once armed, by pressing a Key. If you are early or late triggering the note, your ARP phrase will be offset off the beat by the amount you missed the downbeat. This allows you to offset the phrase from the Beat.

Sync Quantize Value is a parameter that help auto correct the *start* of the ARP phrase so that you do not have to be but within the set Quantize value. For most musicians a setting of 120 pulse per quarter note (16th note) suffices. If your timing is really bad you can set it to an eighth note or quarter note.

Thanks BM, I am using 120 ppq incidentally:)

Posted : 29/09/2017 1:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not sure I understand what you mean by "starting" a scene. A scene does not "trigger" - it switches. Scenes will switch when you hit a button or send the MIDI message to change the scene. The scene which is selected to be the default for a given performance can be programmed so that when you recall a performance (also requiring some button press, MIDI message MSB/LSB+PC, or foot pedal advance live set/etc) then the programmed scene will come in with the performance.

Scenes do not switch according to the tempo. They do switch, as one example, ARPs which can be sync'd to tempo/measure - but that's a function of the ARP not the scene. Still the scene does not cause a trigger event - the trigger must come from something other than hitting (or sending a MIDI command to change) a scene button.

There are times I wish I had more programmable access to triggers (for ARPs and motion sequence) and I do not see a way to do this. On a different/related "note", even motion sequence I "wish" the trigger could be limited to a key range - but have to live with velocity range only.

Posted : 29/09/2017 4:10 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Jason, I meant ARPs being triggered within each scene chosen. I have a difficult time finding the right way to express my intentions. It's good to know that Scenes can be switched from external MIDI messages though. There are so many ways to get creative with this beautiful beast. Definitely my favorite synth to work with and I can see it being the mainstay for many songs as I use it more and discover new ways to accomplish things. Thanks again for your educated response. I'm gonna get back to the manuals now:)

Posted : 29/09/2017 7:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us