Clear all

2.0 Icon Bug?

16 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I started looking around in 2.0, and ran into this performance. Part 5 is FM-X. Shouldn't the FM-X icon be lit up to the right of the Performance name?

If this is actually a bug, does posting it here count as reporting the bug, or is there someplace else where it should be done?

Attached files

Posted : 08/02/2018 2:39 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's different than it was before.

In daily use - there's not a huge consequence to these emblems being correct or incorrect. And certainly not if the amount of performances with the emblems changed vs. previous firmware is limited.

Posted : 08/02/2018 2:45 am
Bad Mister

I started looking around in 2.0, and ran into this performance. Part 5 is FM-X. Shouldn't the FM-X icon be lit up to the right of the Performance name?

Are we looking at the Factory Preset or an edited version? The Factory Preset has "AWM2+FM-X" as it always did. Only a "user" edited version might have a change.

Touch the Performance Name
A pop-in menu will appear
Touch "Property"
This will tell you if you are looking at a Preset, a User, or a Library entry.
Please let us know we are compiling data.

Posted : 08/02/2018 6:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It would probably be helpful if the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen had some indication (graphical) if the current Performance is:

1) Originally sourced from User Area
2) Originally sourced from Library Area
3) Originally sourced from Preset Area
4) Is currently being edited (parameters in the edit buffer are different from the sourced data). This already exists - although a blue flag is not as self-documenting as an "E" that appears in every window once you make an edit (like previous synth/workstations). Or even a flashing "E" (maybe white E to blue E - so screen captures would always have the "E") ... so you're better alerted to [STORE] to avoid losing the changes.

Previous edit flag discussion: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/editing-montage-performances

Posted : 08/02/2018 6:39 pm
Bad Mister

The smart MONTAGE user always changes the name of edited programs, before storing them to User so they don’t wind up with the same name Performances that have different uses. If you do so then your Libraries will not contain data that is named the same as Factory data. If you are not creative, at least add your initials.

But it is curious that it is switched off... Michael please confirm the current Bank, thank you.

Posted : 08/02/2018 11:11 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Bad Mister. After my update, the 1st factory preset is CFX + EP FM, is also showing (as it is with the original poster), no fm-x indicator, as well the 2nd preset, CFX + FM EP 2.

Please take notice that when I went to category search to see if it (fm-x) was listed there, it was, and when I clicked on CFX + EP FM in category search, I exited and went back to Performance and both were corrected and remain correct no matter how many times I dial past them and then return.
Interesting. for those who have the missing fm-x, then do as I did and then report back

Posted : 08/02/2018 11:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Suggestion wasn't to fix a duplicate name problem. There are other reasons why having a "heads up" display of the Performance source would be helpful. You can always use the information display but reducing menu diving should be a goal of any GUI if there is a reasonable way to "bubble up" information from the lower level menu to an upper level one.

In general usage - "SSS" is a meaningless emblem since all Performances seem to have it. All thousands of the presets except for one have 8 or less PARTs - so all the PARTs fit on the first screen (where you can see which have AWM2 or FM-X) so the AWM2/FM-X emblems to the right of the performance name are mostly redundant. "MC" is a good one since it's not readily apparent from HOME if there's MC or not.

There's other ways of figuring out FM-X vs AWM2 vs SSS and if they didn't exist in the HOME screen - I could see an argument for the smart musician using other methods to keep track of this.

I'm suggesting that given what could be displayed on the HOME screen - there may be more pertinent/useful information then what is presented when looking at the current landscape. Not saying to replace what's currently being displayed - but consider how to squeeze in a few more pieces of helpful information.

Reflecting the transposition and octave button information (global, every screen - "top line") is in the list as well. Those ranking probably in front of the bank source.

Not forcing any hands here - just want to make sure I was clear.

=================

Looks like there may be a display bug in there if a 2nd user was able to reproduce and also show how the failure self-corrects (which would explain BM's results).

Posted : 08/02/2018 11:59 pm
Eminent Member

I checked out to see if I have this Icon bug.

I loaded the CFX + FM Ep from live set

Attached files

Posted : 09/02/2018 12:17 am
Eminent Member

I then went to performance the Icon appears to be fine.
I selected performance
5 went to Category search.

Posted : 09/02/2018 12:20 am
Eminent Member

Selected CFX + FM EP and the FM X icon now appears greyed out.

Attached files

Posted : 09/02/2018 12:27 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

But it is curious that it is switched off... Michael please confirm the current Bank, thank you.

Preset bank (MSB 64, LSB 0), Program Change No. 1.

The weird thing is that when I just looked, the FM-X icon was present. This is consistent with Phil's report that the icon wasn't there but then when he went back and looked later it was.

Perhaps there is something that is not initialized in OS 2.0 until after it has run the first time. This could be a minor display glitch that doesn't matter. But it could also be an indication of a larger underlying problem, so it should be reported to the software engineers.

Posted : 09/02/2018 1:11 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Perhaps there is something that is not initialized in OS 2.0 until after it has run the first time.

I should have said, "… until it has booted up on its own, not as part of being installed."

Posted : 09/02/2018 2:11 am
Bad Mister

Thanks. If only all bugs were so small...

Posted : 09/02/2018 2:25 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

If only all bugs were so small...

But then who would pay people like me the big bucks? And how would I have been able to afford a Montage? πŸ™‚

Posted : 09/02/2018 5:26 am
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Today, after powering-up the montage, the missing fm-x situation had returned.
This time, I did not engage category search; rather, I scrolled past the 1st two performances mentioned in my 1st response above, then back to them as I watched the fm-x indicator reappear.
I did not have time nor the desire to sequence the power cycle on this machine, so I can't say that this will occur again, but I believe it will.
I do not find this to be a small bug, as has been suggested, because it shows a condition within a flagship synth that is just plain wrong.
Please respond if others have observed this condition and have resolved it via either of the two conditions that I have observed, or any or by other method(s.

Posted : 10/02/2018 6:13 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us