Notifications
Clear all

2 notes on 1 key?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Onyx
Topic starter

Hi all! So I'm still new into the Montage board. Haven't explored a few functions on it yet. I play on our church and have used a Korg workstation for a few years. Is there a function where you can play two notes on 1 key? Say you hit G4 key, then the output goes G4 and B4 (G major chord). And then when you hit B4 key, B4 and D4 goes out (Bm chord). The notes can be of same or different voicings. Thanks for the answers!

Posted : 06/10/2017 6:44 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, you can do that. There are different ways to go about this. You'll have to map out how you want all 12 keys within an octave to map out in order to advise fully. The general idea is to use two different PARTs which are offset by some value (either constant = parallel motion ; or variable = intervals change up the scale). For parallel motion, you would use the 2nd PART as a note shifted copy of the 1st PART. If the 2nd PART's note shift is by 4 semi-tones, this would result in:

PART1: G A B C D E F#
PART2: B C# D# E F# G# A#

This doesn't yield what you wanted - since you seemed to be alluding to wanting to keep everything in the key of G. In this case, micro-tuning can be used to force

PART1: G A B C D E F#
PART2: B C D E F# G A

The discussion about micro-tuning in order to accomplish this is can be found: https://yamahasynth.com/forum/dyads

Which actually maps out both note shift and micro-tuning in combination in order to accomplish the task. The reason for this is that micro-tuning is limited in range it can affect the note - so note shift must be used to place all target notes around an "axis" which micro-tuning can use to shift to the correct diatonic (within the target key) notes.

The example in the thread is for "C major" - but you can use the method and adjust for G-major as well.

Note: the 1st option (which isn't what you seemed to want) is mainly outlined for AWM2. FM-X can handle parallel tones within a single PART using multiple carriers which are tuned according to (... offset by) some interval. Off the cuff, I cannot think of how FM-X would accomplish diatonic pitch relationships between carriers purely by FM-X programming. You could add another PART to stimulate an envelope and use motion control to make different pitch offsets. There may be another way (using FM-X) to get diatonic. I haven't tried this myself to discover what can be done.

Posted : 06/10/2017 9:06 am
 Onyx
Topic starter

Hi Jason. Many many thanks to you! I really have faith in this board and so this keeps it on as I've just checked on it. Now I have discovered the Microtuning. One more feature, check! Again, thanks, man. Stay awesome.

Posted : 06/10/2017 12:00 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us