Notifications
Clear all

A Little Help with Scenes

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I feel I’m following the instructions for how to Program scenes correctly (Shift > Scene Button of Choice), and with each scene the screen shows the scene store confirmation, but, when I go to try the scenes “nothing happens”. ? Am I missing something?

Posted : 11/05/2019 2:32 pm
Bad Mister

from previous posts.....

Likely if this was your first attempt at using Scenes, you missed the step where you activate the “memory” region. By setting the “Memory” On for a function allows the current setting to be memorized by the act of [SHIFT] + [SCENE] button 1-8.

SCENES
First, let's establish what a Scene can memorize, and what it doesn't. It has a MEMORY ON/OFF switch for each of the following functions:
Arp - the currently active Arp 1-8, if the main ArpSw is active
MS - the currently active Motion Seq, if the main MS Sw is active
Super Knob - the current position of the Super Knob
Mixing 1 - RevSend, VarSend, Dry Level, Pan, Volume
Mixing 2 - Cutoff, Resonance, FEG Depth, Mute
AEG - Attack, Decay, Sustain Release of the amplifier
Arp/MS FX 1/2 - offset to feel of Arps and Motion Sequences

From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen
Touch "Scene" to view the Scene Memory switches... if you, for example, want to memorize MUTE status, make sure you activate "Mixing 2" in each Scene you want document a Mute change from current status.

The SCENE Memory On/Off switches allow you to review your current Scenes. You can easily overthink these Scenes and without scaring anyone, when you start thinking of new things or you add a Part to your Performance, then you will start to understand why this is a recommended “best practice”.

Writing about Scenes and all the possibilities might only confuse folks further, you have to begin working with it to understand what gets remembered and when it is memorized. It is a creative tool. If you think there is only one way to use it, you’d be wrong.

If Scene 1 has Drum volume 100 in memory (meaning the Mixing Memory Switch is On), and Scene 8 has Drum volume set to 120 in memory (meaning its Mixing Memory Switch is On)... but the Mixing Memory Switches are Off on the other Scenes... selecting Scene 1 and moving to Scene 2, the Drums will be at volume 100, but selecting Scene 8 before moving to Scene 2, the Drums will inherit volume 120. (If no new command is received to change Volume, the last setting change persists (remains) until a new command for Volume is received.

If you attempt to STORE a Volume change for Drums in SCENE 2, and all you do is [SHIFT] + [SCENE 2] you will see that your volume change did not Store... you must make the “Mixing 1/Mixing 2” Memory Switch to ON.

I think in all the discussions I have with users they put too much emphasis on the act of [SHIFT] + [SCENE 1-8] as the method to STORE a Scene, and to be sure, it is one part of the method to accomplish this, but the act of turning ON the Memory Switch for a function is what allows the current value to be memorized. Turn ON the Memory Switch memorizes that function’s data immediately.

Posted : 11/05/2019 3:28 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Amazingly detailed and HELPFUL! Thank you. You Nate correct I had not activated the memory functions. I was particularly trying to store “mute” statuses to change performances mid-song. (Example, mute the piano and unmute the EP).

Thank you again for such thought out help.

Posted : 11/05/2019 4:45 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Can a scene memory be stored as a global setting? For example turning mixing memory on permanently as a default global setting? So I don’t have to turn it on for each performance I need it in?

from previous posts.....

Likely if this was your first attempt at using Scenes, you missed the step where you activate the “memory” region. By setting the “Memory” On for a function allows the current setting to be memorized by the act of [SHIFT] + [SCENE] button 1-8.

SCENES
First, let's establish what a Scene can memorize, and what it doesn't. It has a MEMORY ON/OFF switch for each of the following functions:
Arp - the currently active Arp 1-8, if the main ArpSw is active
MS - the currently active Motion Seq, if the main MS Sw is active
Super Knob - the current position of the Super Knob
Mixing 1 - RevSend, VarSend, Dry Level, Pan, Volume
Mixing 2 - Cutoff, Resonance, FEG Depth, Mute
AEG - Attack, Decay, Sustain Release of the amplifier
Arp/MS FX 1/2 - offset to feel of Arps and Motion Sequences

From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen
Touch "Scene" to view the Scene Memory switches... if you, for example, want to memorize MUTE status, make sure you activate "Mixing 2" in each Scene you want document a Mute change from current status.

The SCENE Memory On/Off switches allow you to review your current Scenes. You can easily overthink these Scenes and without scaring anyone, when you start thinking of new things or you add a Part to your Performance, then you will start to understand why this is a recommended “best practice”.

Writing about Scenes and all the possibilities might only confuse folks further, you have to begin working with it to understand what gets remembered and when it is memorized. It is a creative tool. If you think there is only one way to use it, you’d be wrong.

If Scene 1 has Drum volume 100 in memory (meaning the Mixing Memory Switch is On), and Scene 8 has Drum volume set to 120 in memory (meaning its Mixing Memory Switch is On)... but the Mixing Memory Switches are Off on the other Scenes... selecting Scene 1 and moving to Scene 2, the Drums will be at volume 100, but selecting Scene 8 before moving to Scene 2, the Drums will inherit volume 120. (If no new command is received to change Volume, the last setting change persists (remains) until a new command for Volume is received.

If you attempt to STORE a Volume change for Drums in SCENE 2, and all you do is [SHIFT] + [SCENE 2] you will see that your volume change did not Store... you must make the “Mixing 1/Mixing 2” Memory Switch to ON.

I think in all the discussions I have with users they put too much emphasis on the act of [SHIFT] + [SCENE 1-8] as the method to STORE a Scene, and to be sure, it is one part of the method to accomplish this, but the act of turning ON the Memory Switch for a function is what allows the current value to be memorized. Turn ON the Memory Switch memorizes that function’s data immediately.

Posted : 11/05/2019 5:14 pm
Bad Mister

Final thought... the follow-up questions usual go to “How can you know what is memorized in a Scene?”
On the MONTAGE the Scene buttons glow Cool Blue... bright blue indicates the currently active Scene, those glowing dimly have data stored (waiting), those that are dark are empty.

You can review the current Scenes... from the HOME screen, touch “Scene”
What you see on this screen are the current settings... along the top are the Scene Recalls 1-8 (same as the blue buttons)
Any setting you change while viewing this Scene screen are immediately documented in the current Scene.

What you see, is, in fact, what you get!

Here is a tutorial we did that includes additional information on Scenes and some of the possibilities:
MONTAGifying Motif XF: “Smooth It Over” A Motif XF Conversion

Can a scene memory be stored as a global setting? For example turning mixing memory on permanently as a default global setting? So I don’t have to turn it on for each performance I need it in?

Typically, when working with documenting Scenes you do so in order. Here’s how this happens... the most important Scene is the first Scene.

It must represent the condition you want when the Performance is first recalled. By the end of performing with a Performance it has changed, you’ve likely moved settings, altered Part volumes, maybe you’ve panned something, or even muted a Part, etc. pressing the Scene 1 button should restore the Performance to a known “start condition”

Manually, select Scene 1, and turn the MEMORY switches to ON for all the categories.
Return HOME — start performing as you would...
Your Scene 2 will be naturally be changes made from the Scene 1 conditions... say you make a change to the Volume relationship... make the change, then hold [SHIFT] + [SCENE 2]... this will take all Scene 1 settings along with your updated volume mix and store them to Scene 2 (all the Memory switches will be On, because they were in Scene 1).

Scene 3 is likely going to be changes you want to make to Scene 2, and so on.

So to answer your question. Turn the MEMORY switches ON in Scene 1... all your subsequent Scenes will be built on this “start condition”. Remember: you may not need all the Memory switches On... just activate those you will want to use.

You can, of course, create your own “Init” Performances... keep them in your User area or keep them in MONTAGE CONNECT. This way anytime you wish to begin a session just click it and you’re in.

This is a perfect example of “best tool”... create your own INIT Performances and Bulk them to your Edit Buffer whenever you want to start. Are you using MONTAGE CONNECT?

Hope that helps.

Posted : 11/05/2019 5:22 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I like the “init” performance idea, I could set a blank one with a piano performance/part and name it Template and store with scenes active/on. That’s a great idea. (To answer your question, I’m not using Montage Connect).

Final thought... the follow-up questions usual go to “How can you know what is memorized in a Scene?”
On the MONTAGE the Scene buttons glow Cool Blue... bright blue indicates the currently active Scene, those glowing dimly have data stored (waiting), those that are dark are empty.

You can review the current Scenes... from the HOME screen, touch “Scene”
What you see on this screen are the current settings... along the top are the Scene Recalls 1-8 (same as the blue buttons)
Any setting you change while viewing this Scene screen are immediately documented in the current Scene.

What you see, is, in fact, what you get!

Here is a tutorial we did that includes additional information on Scenes and some of the possibilities:
MONTAGifying Motif XF: “Smooth It Over” A Motif XF Conversion

Typically, when working with documenting Scenes you do so in order. Here’s how this happens... the most important Scene is the first Scene.

It must represent the condition you want when the Performance is first recalled. By the end of performing with a Performance it has changed, you’ve likely moved settings, altered Part volumes, maybe you’ve panned something, or even muted a Part, etc. pressing the Scene 1 button should restore the Performance to a known “start condition”

Manually, select Scene 1, and turn the MEMORY switches to ON for all the categories.
Return HOME — start performing as you would...
Your Scene 2 will be naturally be changes made from the Scene 1 conditions... say you make a change to the Volume relationship... make the change, then hold [SHIFT] + [SCENE 2]... this will take all Scene 1 settings along with your updated volume mix and store them to Scene 2 (all the Memory switches will be On, because they were in Scene 1).

Scene 3 is likely going to be changes you want to make to Scene 2, and so on.

So to answer your question. Turn the MEMORY switches ON in Scene 1... all your subsequent Scenes will be built on this “start condition”. Remember: you may not need all the Memory switches On... just activate those you will want to use.

You can, of course, create your own “Init” Performances... keep them in your User area or keep them in MONTAGE CONNECT. This way anytime you wish to begin a session just click it and you’re in.

This is a perfect example of “best tool”... create your own INIT Performances and Bulk them to your Edit Buffer whenever you want to start. Are you using MONTAGE CONNECT?

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/05/2019 7:03 am
 Jan
Eminent Member

Scenes are really great and one can hardly perform without them. Having that said there are some improvements I'd like to suggest to the development team.

The Yamaha Genos has the same system of storing scenes. But it has an additional advantage: The "registration sequence". That allows you to switch scenes in the order you prefer, not by pressing the scene button, but according a predefined order, which can be followed using a foot-switch like [scene +].
e.g. 1 - intro | 2 - verse 1 | 3 - prechorus | 4 - chorus | 2 - verse 2 | 3 - prechorus | 4 - chorus | 5 - interlude | 2 - verse 3 | 3 - prechorus | 4 - chorus | 6 - ending |
So the order in that song would be 1, 2,3,4 , 2,3,4 , 5 , 2,3,4 , 6. Do you notice the repeating of the scenes? It helps not to have to remember which button to press. Of course this sequence-order is very obvious and can even be remembered by me. However, with more complicated scene-switching it would be a great help. Genos goes upto 20 storages. And it's just software.

A second upgrade that might be considered is the fluency of scene switching (which regards the Genos as well). In stead of using the superknob, it would be helpful for quick and dirty programming if the transition of scene 1 to 2 (et cetera) could be set by a switch: Hard or Soft. By this I do mean: immediate or gradient. (And with gradient, an additional setting: transition time - or actually just one setting: 0 = hard 127cs = soft). Let me give an example. When using a scene to mute a part it now occurs immediately/hard. It would be nice to have a pre-defined setting that notices the differences between scenes and makes the transition more gradually. In stead of an immediate cut-off the possibility to fade-out/fade-in expressed in centi-seconds. Not just the mute-status, but all scene-stored-parameters* can be intrapolated. Once again: just software.

* and then I mean the end-state of the preceding scene (which might have been altered during the performance).

I would consider it an improvement for live-players.

Posted : 12/05/2019 8:04 am
Bad Mister

Scenes are really great and one can hardly perform without them. Having that said there are some improvements I'd like to suggest to the development team.

Ideas, improvements, suggestions, wishes, dreams, etc., are welcome in the IdeaScale. A way to collect and utilize such feedback.

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/

Thanks.

Posted : 12/05/2019 3:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us