Clear all

A Marriage Made Near Heaven. Montage and Komplete Kontrol MK II

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

A Marriage Made Somewhere Near Heaven. The Montage and Komplete Kontrol.( KEY SPACING. ).
* This is for players. That want to use a Controller or have slightly big fingers.

I have Long fingers. But they are big (Just not "Piano Hands" ).
Wear a Large Glove. So Not that Big.:p

Even Traded my Montage 7 for a Montage 6 (1/32" diff wider between Black keys) *Just shows.How dedicated I was to playing the Montage.
8 and 1/2 months. Playing only the Montage 6.(During that time. I also lost 56 lbs.)
Still. I could not play fast parts. Without Pulling down a black key unintentionally.

A month and 1/2 ago. Enter The Komplete Kontrol MK II. Key Spacing Like a Korg. (With a Very-good KeyBed.*Fatar TP/9S).
Took over a month to 'Break-In' the Kontrol keybed(Weird).
But It would have also taken me that long. Just to Acclimate myself to the. Completely Different Feel Of the Keybed's.

Now. I am Near In Heaven playing wise. And Because of the Very Small footprint of the Kontrol MK II.
I have the 2 keyboards Waterfalled Very close. So No Reaching.
*I would still rather play the Montage keybed. But They would have to use a XF Keybed in the montage. Not going to happen.

Now I was going to wait on the StudioLogic SL73. As It has. The new top end TP/100S Fatar Keybed.(No DAW Mapping with the SL73.).
Also the footprint of the SL73. Is not right for Waterfalling.(in my area)
So I think I made the Best choice possible. As I am no longer frustrated with trying to play something. I just couldn't.

Then there is the Added. Great Controller Aspect of the Kontrol MK II. MIDI Mapping is Excellent! I almost never look at my Computer screen now.
And. The NI VST for DAW's is A major +++++. (Takes Too long to explain this).

Now to Cubase Pro or Not?
Cubase 9.5. Has a lot of Cool Features. I like. But Do I have time for the Learning Curve?
And Has SteinBerg. Started giving good support.(Seems a lot of old complaints about their support.).
While there are a lot of Videos for Cubase 9.5. They really Do not Dive into. A real tutorial of Cubase.
(Of course I can Buy a Tutorial 4 it:( ).

Pros and Cons. Some are Both:

• The NI Plug-IN for DAW's is Both a blessing and A problem(4 some). It Looks/Works Like an Instrument plug. But it is Empty. And You Put (Drag Your VST Instrument into it.) * I call it a. Empty Sleeve. The Instrument. Put inside the NI VST sleeve. Has Zero latency and more MIDI Delicacy to it.
    (I would have to use another controller to A/B them). *Just remembering my last Controller and Not being happy with the MIDI Delicacy/Sensitivity.

• Con: Kontrol MK II Will not work. 'Stand Alone' Via USB. U have to use a 5 pin for standalone use.
    15 V Power supply needed(Not supplied.). This also gets into. Turning the Midi on and off in the Montage/MoxF.

As I do not play out. I am OK with this As a USB Static setup.

• If the Kontrol MK II had Sliders. It would be Near perfect. I have trouble using Knobs for track volume. But I will have to get used to it.

Now. If You just want a Controller Keyboard. For your Montage. The Studio Logic SL-73. Has Weighted keys.
    A higher grade of Fatar Keybed. And is $200. Cheaper. I think it even has Built in sounds.

• Posted : 29/05/2018 2:09 am
    Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us