Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

After updating to firmware 1.50 i lost some of my performances

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

it´ s not really a big deal to me, but i want to understand what happend. After updating and reloading my user file, some of my performances don´t play any sound. The Boesendorfer is also gone, also some performances with user samples doesn´t play. I looked to the elements and i see there switched off and resetted to Preset 1. Hmmm...???

Posted : 13/02/2017 8:33 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Siggi - have you reloaded all your Libraries? I had the same problem, but it turned out that I'd been editing Library files when I should have converted them to User files first to ensure the waveforms were stored as well. If your Bosendorfer came pre-installed and you don't have a download file, perhaps BM can help you there - I think your location has something to do with it though.

Posted : 13/02/2017 8:51 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, you lost your sounds... Reading is fundamental. Below see screenshot of the Firmware download page and the CAUTION in RED....

Posted : 13/02/2017 9:23 pm
david
Reputable Member

Did you read BM's post about the (2) kinds of people? 🙁

Mary had a little lamb it's fleece was white as snow, everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go, but Mary didn't read the "no trespassing" sign and that little lamb was no mo. 🙂

Posted : 13/02/2017 9:39 pm
Topic starter

"Reading is fundamental." What arrogance... 🙁

To make it clear: Before i did the update to 1.50 - sure - i saved everything as a user file to my USB stick.

After some investigation, i found out all the samples (including the Boesendorfer) are there. The Boesendorfer library bank can also be played. But...

With the older firmware (latest before 1.50) i did some editing on some Boesendorfer patches and stored it in my user area. Now after the firmware update to 1.50, this patches doesn´t sound when i play the keys. I looked at the used elements and i found out EVERY element is switched off and uses the first factory preset sample (CF3 Stretch Sw St). My Boesendorfer patches (in my user area) should use the Boesendorfer samples (which are there) instead of the same factory sample on EVERY element. Also, it makes no sense when every element is switched off.

I´m pretty sure - THERE IS a bug in the firmware.

In my case about 10% of my user patches have the same issue. The other 90% of my user patches with my own samples, are fine. The problem does not only exist with the Boesendorfer samples, also with my own samples. For any reason, these patches "lost" the connection to the correct elements with imported samples.

If the developer are interested in my user bank, give me a sign.

Btw, is it possible to downgrade the firmware on my Montage back to 1.2? I want to crosscheck my problem.

Siggi

Posted : 14/02/2017 8:52 am
Jeroen
Eminent Member

Hi Siggi,

The order in which you load your files back into the Montage is important here.

First you have to load your LIBRARY-files *
After that you can load your USER-file.

* maybe it is also important to load them back into the same slots they were (somebody?)

Jeroen

Posted : 14/02/2017 9:55 am
Bad Mister

With the older firmware (latest before 1.50) i did some editing on some Boesendorfer patches and stored it in my user area. Now after the firmware update to 1.50, this patches doesn´t sound when i play the keys. I looked at the used elements and i found out EVERY element is switched off and uses the first factory preset sample (CF3 Stretch Sw St). My Boesendorfer patches (in my user area) should use the Boesendorfer samples (which are there) instead of the same factory sample on EVERY element. Also, it makes no sense when every element is switched off.

Again, sorry, you have lost your work. But that sounds exactly like what would happen. Simply doing "some editing on some Bosendorfer patches" stored to the User area, (without using the "Library Import") would create User Performances that Reference Waveforms located in the installed Library... and significantly missing would be the catalog flag that would export the Waveforms with the file you created. Once the installed Library was purged by the update, your User Performance may no longer "find" their Waveforms.

The data when NOT FOUND, is simply replaced with default Waveform 0001. That's just the default Waveform.

The Library Import function allows the imported data to create a new file that will contain the Waveforms and Samples.
If you simply start editing an installed Library Performance when you STORE it to the User Bank, the Waveform data is still going to be referencing the Installed data and does not contain the catalog note that instructs a file made from that data to write the Waveforms and Samples to the file. It is that easy and that complex.

When reinstalling data if your file points to a location that now contains no data, it will not be found. The order of your installed Libraries may also come into play.

You should be able to roll back your version, and try again. I suggest you call Customer Support in your region, they can perhaps talk you through the process. I have not worked out all of the different possible scenarios of what happens if you don't reinstall your Libraries and User files in the order they were in, but they should be able to help you. I'm not sure even if placing them back in the same order will solve your issue, because handling of Library installation is handled by Montage, presumably to the lowest numbered empty location. (I certainly have not tested what happens if you've "deleted" Waveforms along the way, and whether or not you've Optimized the Flash area, if that has an impact...)

The good news is the new version will allow you to (once you have everything restored properly) make a complete Backup File. Good luck. Let us know, how you make out.

Posted : 14/02/2017 10:04 am
david
Reputable Member

Automated file structuring is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Thank goodness for the new Backup File feature.

Posted : 14/02/2017 8:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

My previous suggestion was for the firmware update process to automatically preserve everything for the user so that the user is not burdened with order of operations and can just click "OK" knowing his/her data is automatically backed up within the process of updating firmware.

I know that this may not be possible as, inside Montage, there may not be the "hooks" to save your data onto the same stick as you use for firmware update to backup the data/libraries/etc. Having the "all" file now added to firmware 1.50 is a great step. Hopefully the next firmware update can somehow force a backup so the firmware process will force creating an "all" file on your stick used for updating.

Otherwise, there will still be the support burden of those who do not take this step manually before the update. Since the steps are more straight-forward, the pool of folks in this category should go down (less of a support burden).

Posted : 14/02/2017 8:33 pm
Stefan

The necessity to first load the libraries and then the user file was mentioned many times by BM and others. It is also mentioned in some manuals. I have the same situation as Rod that my user presets use some samples from ROM. But when restoring I actually loaded the libraries first and then the user file and everything is still perfectly there. I don't think there is a bug there... And as BM wrote Siggi should still be able to get everything back if he still has the backup.

The new complete backup is certainly much nicer, of course. So that problem is now obviously a problem of the past. Of course it would be nicer to be able to update without having to backup and then restore the data. But it is something I can live with very well. And of course it forces those users who never make a backup to make one from time to time :). So for some this could be a plus...

Posted : 14/02/2017 9:28 pm

For what it's worth, I had some problems the first time I did the upgrade too. I followed the instructions to the letter, didn't get any error messages when updating the firmware or reinstalling the Bösendorfer library, but several factory patches no longer worked correctly (some had missing scenes and layers). NB these were all factory patches - I haven't actually created any user patches yet!

After scratching my head for a couple of days, I reinstalled both the firmware and the Library again and everything seems ok now, but I have no idea why it screwed up the first time.

Posted : 14/02/2017 10:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us