Basics again - Creating a Library file

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I sometimes think I come from another planet in that I don't seem to understand instructions ... anyway, I want to create a Library file to try out something else, so have assembled 182 User sounds in the 'All' area (each has been assigned to a Category). The instructions say that I can 'Save as Library file' which is what I want to do - but how? I have pressed 'UTILITY - Contents - Store/Save - but nowhere do I see the option to 'Save as Library file' ... evidently I'm missing something, but what, please?

Posted : 13/02/2017 4:56 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

utility
contents
store save
content type (icon on top): select: library file
save as new file
give it a name
save it (to the usb stick)

Posted : 13/02/2017 6:21 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Gabi, and thank you ... I thought the 'content type' referred to what you are saving from, not what you are saving to - this whole 'Library / User' business is a nightmare to me, just not geared for its structure, I've just deleted a Library I was 100% certain was from the Montage - but it was from the back-up USB! No idea why that happened. Intuitive it ain't!

Posted : 13/02/2017 7:19 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Following on from this, creating new Pfs and downloading Libraries very quickly uses up the 8 Library spaces on Montage, with none of them anywhere near their capacity of 640 Pfs each. So I just tested that Pfs with assigned Categories can be saved as a Library from the 'All' area, complete with their Category info. The object of this is to create larger libraries by merging two (or more) that have had their contents categorised, by converting them to User files and sweeping the lot into the 'All' area and re-saving as one new Library while still retaining some control over what goes where. Once you have the new Library, delete the two (or more) it was derived from - this way you can build up to maximum size for each Library and still keep all your Strings or Brass etc: in one place.

If there's a better way, I'd like to hear of it please.

Posted : 13/02/2017 9:12 pm
david
Reputable Member

Before you actually start to mess around with real important files play a game of "musical files" and experiment with the Montage to see what does what and what goes where. Get confident and proficient with it and then start saving/merging and moving the important files. Don't experiment for those important files. While you're at it and if in doubt remove the USB drive (not while it's saving/loading) but while you're experimenting with the functions and see what changes on the screen.

Posted : 13/02/2017 9:52 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello david - good advice! I found out why I deleted a USB Library - hadn't appreciated the significance of the boxes to the right of the title one, which actually tells you 'Montage' or 'USB' - all my blunders are self-inflicted, you see. It's a question of following procedure exactly with not the slightest deviation, which I'm not good at until it becomes habit - make the same mistake often enough, and you do learn! Fortunately 99% of my errors are recoverable with varying degrees of hassle, and this Forum is amazing for the oftimes I'm stumped!

Posted : 14/02/2017 6:51 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us