Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Analog vs FM : is there really a difference?

19 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
16.1 K Views
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can release audio recordings which contain purchased sound libraries. The earlier warning was not to release the library or portions of it as an X7L, X7U, or X7A file.

Recording your work to an audio cloud site, uploading a WAV recording of your composition, or creating a youtube (or similar video cloud service) is fair use.

Even better if you credit the sound libraries (company, library name) in the description - although not required.

Posted : 15/08/2017 1:32 pm

Rod wrote:

Hello Mitchell - as a rank amateur, I'd say yes, there is a difference. Analog has warmth and depth and atmosphere, FM is bright and hard and clean. Messy old Nature and clinical Mathematics. I know real experts can make either sound like the other - but why? It's like coffee-flavoured tea - not much point unless you only have access to one of them. Montage has both, and offers a very simple blending system - a little experiment quickly shows the differences and what they can do for one another.

Hi, FM is indeed mostly known for bright and clean sounds, but if you examine some of the most analog sounding patches on my beloved SY99 or TG77 then they are more often than not made by AFM (Advanced FM) through the SY's filter!

Posted : 19/08/2017 1:50 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am so out of the loop, the DX7's blew me away at the time, and I picked up the MO6 like 10 years ago and played the heck out of it.... , including the patterns...., songs, and mostly perfromances. Since I play mostly by myself (no jokes), .. I found the my single arp, to me a great jamming buddy, I think Ive jammed with every drum arp, and guitar arp in the MO6. I think this board with the cubase set up will be like having a whole new band to play with.... , with some familiar buddies I can dial in. Question is developing a good FM sound from scratch something worth trying at first? For example, I would not recommend trying to create a MEGA ARP.... but I would play the heck out of them. Im gonna try out a few of the primers to learn.... but just curious of the payoff...., seems the motion sequencer could be a lot of fun with the parameters.

Posted : 19/08/2017 10:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Do what you want in any order you want. There should be a tutorial, video, manual documentation pages, forum posts, etc already out there for most everything you want to do. Start with a tutorial or video until you get bored/uninspired/frustrated/confused then change directions (pick some different "order" if you want) or ask for some guidance.

One of the most useful "tutorials" for me are the thousands of performances someone else already programmed in Montage. They all list every parameter for each part (FM parameters - AWM2 parameters - motion sequence - etc). So this can be insightful once you get a handle of how to navigate from running through some of the basic tutorials.

Posted : 20/08/2017 9:30 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us