Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Are there any applications out yet to create you're own waves for the Montage.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My plan was to complement my Nord stage with the Montage for synth duties, it is extremely easy to make make waves(keymaps) on the Nord for triggering my own sampled instruments and one shots. I also need to do this on my montage before inclusion in my live rig, how do I go about?

Are there any programs(Mac) released yet that support this?

Posted : 26/09/2016 6:57 am
Bad Mister

Currently, the John Melas Motif Waveform Editor can create .X3A, .X3V, .X3W files that can be imported by the Montage. This works because Montage can load ALL, ALL VOICE, and ALL WAVEFORM files made for the Motif XF.
Mr. Melas is working on a Montage specific version that will take advantage of the new features in Montage (no release date has been announced)... But if you already have the Motif Waveform Editor it can be used to create data that the Montage can import.

One shot audio samples can be loaded into Montage Drum Kits. Because these typically use a single Key per Waveform, you can load single shot samples directly to the Montage.

Assign a New Waveform to Montage AWM2 Part _
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/how-to-assign-a-recorded-part-to-a-specific-key#reply-9301

Posted : 26/09/2016 10:09 am
Jim
 Jim

If by chance you want to import existing samples from another format (such as Apple/Logic EXS24 or NI Kontakt), I can vouch for Chicken Systems Motif Creator. I've used it to import a bunch of my go-to pianos & synth pads from EXS format directly to Montage, and it works great!

Posted : 26/09/2016 1:21 pm
Bad Mister

That's good news. Thanks, Jim

Posted : 26/09/2016 1:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your question is regarding keymaps - which I understand isn't covered by this response. However, related is loop point editing which I'm not sure has been covered in previous posts other than you would need "something" to edit the loop points.

What I found was Wavosaur is a freeware application for the PC (Windows) that is able to handle loop point generation.

Not thrilled with the built-in pitch shift (due to only 2 decimal points on ratio. I think they should at least enable semitone steps) although plugins are available for 3rd party (I assume also freeware) pitch shifting.

Also, Wavosaur does not appear to enable editing the center pitch (MIDI) aka root note.

To that end, it is reported that "Endless Wav" can clean up this shortcoming. I have to say, the application locked up, for a long time - but eventually recovered, loading a wav for me - but you may have better success:

http://www.bjoernbojahr.de/index_windowssoftware.html

Not sure if setting the root note is necessary at this point, as experiments show that setting root note with the "Endless Wav" tool doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried setting up note ranges in the "Enless Wav" application which do not transfer when loading the wav either. There are a few formats floating around of how to handle this information - and I haven't dug into the documentation (Yamaha) enough to see if there is guidance there.

After using the two tools above, the footer contains the root note, note range info, etc:

73 6D 70 6C 3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 93 58 00 00 48 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 5B 67 00 00 17 B8 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 69 6E 73 74 07 00 00 00 48 40 40 48 7F 00 7F

You'll notice 00 7F - this is velocity and 48 7F was an attempt for me to set the note range to equal the root note. In the area "93 58 00 00 48" - the last 48 is the root note.

Regardless - there are some freeware tools out there that will allow stretching and looping. Note that loop points created by Wavosaur are recognized by Montage and saving with "Endless Wav" does not remove the loop points which itself can edit loop points as well.

Loading up a custom wav (which I have not done before) did bring up some areas of Montage I had not seen before - allowing to map loaded wav files to areas of the keyboard, different ways to load audio (keybank), etc.

Audio files are rejected if they are not in stereo. For good measure, I also used 44.1kHz and 24-bit PCM to match the audio files that save using the native audio recorder on Montage. Maybe different bit/rate options work as well - but I have not tested those to see. 44.1k, 24-bit, PCM, Stereo (2 channel) works fine,

The keyboard doesn't do any stretching (which is fine) so playing middle C will sound correct while lower notes will be longer in duration and higher notes shorter in duration assuming only one sample loaded. I'll keep looking for a better way to map the sample to a different root note.

Edit: I realize you asked for Mac. I cannot help much in that department without a Mac. Although parallels or some other way to run windows applications is an option. Considering the Mac's association with pro audio environments - there should be similar applications although I do understand what I'm communicating is a tedious process.

Posted : 26/09/2016 2:17 pm
Topic starter

Thanks both, I will have a look at booth

Since there is an autosampler function in mainstage this might be a way to migrate samples into the montage via the chicken systems software.

Must say the response and support here is absolutely top-knotch.

Fredrik

Posted : 26/09/2016 2:17 pm
Stefan

Jason wrote:

Your question is regarding keymaps - which I understand isn't covered by this response. However, related is loop point editing which I'm not sure has been covered in previous posts other than you would need "something" to edit the loop points.

Hi Jason, the John Melas editor actually supports both the looping as well as the keymap creation. You can load a couple of waveforms, loop them, map them and then export to Motif XF form and happily load it into the Montage. You can do even more, but the only workflow I tried is the above. So I think the response has covered this...

Posted : 26/09/2016 2:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This was a case of having a response queued up when there were none yet - took forever to edit the message because I was using the software to see what it could do - pressed the "send" button - and some responses snuck in before I had a chance to see there were any.

Posted : 26/09/2016 8:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us