Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Trouble by assign FC1 to control volume on selected parts

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just read the instructions on Yamahas own site which describe how to t.ex control the pad volume but not the piano with FC7-pedal. I plug it in the FC1-slot on the Montage and I follow the steps from the manual. It still control the volume on all the parts. Hmmmmm. Why? I put the description from Yamaha with this document. This did not work for me. Any good advice? Trond

Posted : 26/09/2016 4:16 pm
Topic starter

I recognized that the description didnยดt show up. Here it is:

Montage: Assigning Pedal Volume Control to Performance Parts.
Assign Foot Pedal To Control Volume of Specific Performance Parts

1) Select desired Performance

2) Press the [Edit] button

3) Press the 'Part' [Common] button

4) In the display, tap [Control]

5) Tap [Control Number]

6) Tap [Foot Ctrl1] or [Foot Ctrl2] (dependent on which input jack your control pedal is connected to)

7) Use Dial to set value to [7] (volume control)

8) Select Part number by pressing one of the Part Select [1/1] - [8/8] buttons

9) In display, tap [Mod/ Control]

10) Tap [Receive Sw]

11) Select Part, by pressing one of the Part Select [1/1] - [8/8] buttons) for the Part you want to ignore the pedal volume control

12) Tap and set FC1 (or FC2) to โ€˜Offโ€™

13) Repeat steps 11-12 for remaining parts you want to ignore the pedal volume control.

Posted : 26/09/2016 4:32 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I found that parts could selectively ignore volume if I used "Vol/Exp" as OFF in the PART's "Receive SW" instead of FC1 or FC2.

I do not have an expression pedal - but plugging a 1/4" unbalanced cable to the FC1 connector seems to emulate an expression pedal in the heel-down position.

Used Singline 2 performance to test since it has multiple parts.

Posted : 26/09/2016 9:24 pm
Bad Mister

Trond wrote:

I just read the instructions on Yamahas own site which describe how to t.ex control the pad volume but not the piano with FC7-pedal. I plug it in the FC1-slot on the Montage and I follow the steps from the manual. It still control the volume on all the parts. Hmmmmm. Why? I put the description from Yamaha with this document. This did not work for me. Any good advice? Trond

Good advice? Come here, to YamahaSynth, for answers to all things concerning Yamaha Synthesizers. And because there are usually more ways than one to accomplish a goal on synthesizers, you can customize your question with specifics (as opposed to trying to make a set of instructions fit your needs).

An FC7 pedal plugged into the FOOT CONTROLLER 1 jack defaults to sending Control Change message 011 Expression, (cc011) which is your relative Volume control. This is typically going to control the volume of all Parts currently under KBD CTRL (Keyboard Control) or connected on the current MIDI channel, but if you want one of the Parts to ignore the message this can be done very easily by turning the appropriate RECEIVE SWITCH to Off.

If you have a piano Part and a pad Part, and you wish to control only the pad Part with the foot volume control, you can set the RECEIVE SWITCH to Off for the piano Part. It is just that simple.

Each Part can be programmed to respond (Receive Switch On) or not respond (Receive Switch Off) on a per Performance basis for each of the available controllers.

You would set the Switch Off for each Part you don't want to follow incoming Volume or Expression commands. Therefore, if the piano or pad is made from multiple Parts, this is not an issue, as you can set the Receive Switch per Part.

From the HOME screen:
Press [EDIT]
Press the [PART SELECT] button corresponding to the Piano Part(s)
Press the lower [COMMON] button or touch "Common" in the lower left corner of the screen
Touch "Mod/Control" > "Receive Sw"
Set the Switch "Vol/Exp" = Off

Press [STORE] to write your edit to the Performance.
This would be the same for any of the Controllers, for example, if you created a piano / bass split, but only want the piano Part to follow the Sustain pedal, you would shut the Receive Switch to Off for the bass Part. Make sense?

Hope that helps.

Posted : 27/09/2016 12:34 pm
Topic starter

Jason wrote:

I found that parts could selectively ignore volume if I used "Vol/Exp" as OFF in the PART's "Receive SW" instead of FC1 or FC2.

I do not have an expression pedal - but plugging a 1/4" unbalanced cable to the FC1 connector seems to emulate an expression pedal in the heel-down position.

Used Singline 2 performance to test since it has multiple parts.

Thanks a lot. That solved the problem for me. I had to set the EXP to off for the part that I did not want to be volumecontrolled.

Still I find it strange that it did not work when i set the FC1 to off........ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted : 27/09/2016 8:55 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Trond wrote:

Good advice? Come here, to YamahaSynth, for answers to all things concerning Yamaha Synthesizers. And because there are usually more ways than one to accomplish a goal on synthesizers, you can customize your question with specifics (as opposed to trying to make a set of instructions fit your needs).

An FC7 pedal plugged into the FOOT CONTROLLER 1 jack defaults to sending Control Change message 011 Expression, (cc011) which is your relative Volume control. This is typically going to control the volume of all Parts currently under KBD CTRL (Keyboard Control) or connected on the current MIDI channel, but if you want one of the Parts to ignore the message this can be done very easily by turning the appropriate RECEIVE SWITCH to Off.

If you have a piano Part and a pad Part, and you wish to control only the pad Part with the foot volume control, you can set the RECEIVE SWITCH to Off for the piano Part. It is just that simple.

Each Part can be programmed to respond (Receive Switch On) or not respond (Receive Switch Off) on a per Performance basis for each of the available controllers.

You would set the Switch Off for each Part you don't want to follow incoming Volume or Expression commands. Therefore, if the piano or pad is made from multiple Parts, this is not an issue, as you can set the Receive Switch per Part.

From the HOME screen:
Press [EDIT]
Press the [PART SELECT] button corresponding to the Piano Part(s)
Press the lower [COMMON] button or touch "Common" in the lower left corner of the screen
Touch "Mod/Control" > "Receive Sw"
Set the Switch "Vol/Exp" = Off

Press [STORE] to write your edit to the Performance.
This would be the same for any of the Controllers, for example, if you created a piano / bass split, but only want the piano Part to follow the Sustain pedal, you would shut the Receive Switch to Off for the bass Part. Make sense?

Hope that helps.

Thank You. It solved it! Iยดm so happy!

Posted : 27/09/2016 9:31 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us