Clear all

ARPS with drum fills?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Stu
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I successfully got drum ARPS to play along in my custom split performance. I was wondering if there are any drum fill ARPS in the onboard collection that could be triggered during the performance by either a specific key or via a scene change? I know Montage wasn't designed to be an arranger but since our band is without a drummer at present, I was hoping I could bring Montage to the rescue.

Any suggestions on how to bring some rhythmic changes to the drum ARPS would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.

Posted : 28/01/2017 10:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The "normal" way would be to setup ARPs 1-8 as different arpeggio patterns. 1 as maybe a busy/arranged intro pattern. 2 as a more simple 1st section pattern. 3 as a more busy pattern. 4 some other section of the tune. 5-7 various fill patterns. 8 as the outro.

Take a look at performances that have drum ARPs already and check out the ARP number 1-8.

There are already a wealth of preprogrammed drum ARPs available. Even just pulling up a kit in the style of the tune you are playing and seeing if the ARPs associated with it may work.

Posted : 28/01/2017 11:35 pm
Bad Mister

When assigning Arpeggios to Arp 1-8 locations if you Search "FA", "FB", "FC" etc., you will view Arp phrases that are Fill-in.

The prefix "FA" indicates a phrase that can be used as a Fill-in. The second letter is how complex, "A" being basic, "B" more complex and so on.

The prefix "M" is a Main section
The prefix "I" is Intro, "E" is Ending, "B" is Break.

Posted : 29/01/2017 3:47 am
 Stu
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the great tips regarding ARP prefixes. Once I get these assigned to a drum part in my performance, how do I trigger these at will, during playback? Assigning each to a different key possibly? And if in playing a steady ARP I then trigger a fill, will it resume play of the previous one or do I have to re-trigger it (while trying not to miss a beat)?

Posted : 29/01/2017 5:27 am
Bad Mister

As you noted, the Montage is not an arranger, and therefore there is no automatic moving from Fill-in to Main Section. It must be done manually. This is clumsy and attention consuming... particularly, if you are trying to change Sections in realtime.

Why not reconfigure the Section so it works better for you?

You can easily construct your own custom drum Arpeggios that serve you and your composition. For example, most musical compositions work in four, eight, twelve, or sixteen measure sections. Say you are working with an eight measure section... You can record seven measures of a Main groove, one measure of a Fill-in... create a new eight measure User Arp... using the ability to convert MIDI tracks to User Arps this can be done right on board the Montage.

Is it more work, sure, but that's the craft. The results can/will better fit your music.

Often drums are both the first and last thing I work on. First, to set up a basic feel over which I play... then when all Parts are assembled, I go back and dress up the drums, with fill-ins, ruffs, breaks, and crash cymbals. Drum track construction is its own reward, the more effort you put in, the better you feel about the results.

Creating your own Arps can be accomplished by recording original data, or by transferring preset Arps to the Recorder, then constructing the format required, and exporting to a new composite Arp phrase. Many folks construct drum tracks in the DAW, then convert the data to Montage. It a choice. Again, to some this seems like more work, but if you do music for a living at some point (even with the convenience of the Arranger) you want to create your own. So every fill is not the same. Restructure the Arp phrase so that it includes the Fill-in at the end of the phrase (one bar, two bars, your in charge), now you can concentrate on what you need to do on the keys.

See the Articles area for more on User Arps:
Making Arpeggios Part 1
Making Arpeggios Part 2
User Arpeggios

Posted : 29/01/2017 7:49 am
 Stu
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I've looked at a few performances that contained different types of arps and can see how powerful they really can be.

Posted : 29/01/2017 11:09 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us