Clear all

Auditions?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So, thinking... ?

Does the Montage allow you to program your own auditions for your own performances?

Posted : 12/06/2019 5:20 am
Jason
Illustrious Member
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Wow ... Thank you Jason!!!

Posted : 12/06/2019 10:10 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

Auditions are a great feature...I plan to use them live in every song that requires sequencing.

Without ever having to look at the LCD screen, I can 'Live Set' as the default button selected when powering on the synth, select the 'Performance' via the buttons on the right, press the 'Audition' button to start the song/sequencing, and then use mainly the 'Scene' buttons (but other buttons/knobs as well) to change up PARTs/layers/splits/effects/mixing/ARPs/etc. within that single Performance. 😉

Posted : 12/06/2019 2:54 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I play at a weekly open mic. I learn a lot of songs rather rapidly. Often I’ll know the song but forget how to start it or the melody because I learn so many so fast. I’m fine if I can head a snippet of something someone wants to sing that I know but just need that 4 second reminder. Attaching my own audition to the performance is great for that.

Posted : 12/06/2019 9:34 pm
 John

Before I give this a go, can someone confirm if this is also possible on the MODX please?
Thanks.

Posted : 13/06/2019 7:38 am
Bad Mister

MODX Reference Manual Page 160

Update User Auditions
Converts all of the songs recorded on the MODX to User Auditions. If the User Auditions already exist, all User Auditions will be overwritten.

Posted : 13/06/2019 12:44 pm
 John

MODX Reference Manual Page 160

Update User Auditions
Converts all of the songs recorded on the MODX to User Auditions. If the User Auditions already exist, all User Auditions will be overwritten.

Excellent thanks very much. I should have read the manual first before asking shame on me 😉 😀

Posted : 13/06/2019 1:51 pm
Bad Mister

Easy enough to miss... the Manual’s entire reference to this feature is shown above. So very easy to overlook.

From this description you can/must experiment and find a way to make it work for you. (Or not). It is an Audition Phrase. As long as it is understood as this going in, you can figure if it works for what you need to accomplish.

Audition Phrases became an important part of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine’s concept... mainly because all programs are Performances... and while it may be obvious what is intended when the Performances is an acoustic piano or organ... with all the “hidden” features (articulations, Effects, Sound morphing, etc., etc) getting an idea about what can happen when the sound is put “in motion” via the controllers becomes the role of the Audition Phrase. There are also Performances that are not “played” in a traditional fashion, at all. The Audition Phrase allows a ‘clue’ into what the Performance is about. Some Performances are like modular setups where you trigger events via the Keys and the front panel becomes the control surface to interact with Arpeggios (notes) and Motion Sequences (control data) in real-time.

The Audition Phrase is MIDI data. You can Import a Copy of the SONG Folder and make that data available as Audition Phrases. That’s it design concept. How you choose to use this feature, is really up to you... just saying, an understanding of its designed purpose may help understand why it doesn’t do everything playing a Song from the Sequencer does.

It is not exactly the same as playing back the Song from the Play/Rec feature. It plays and stops when the [AUDITION] button is toggled. (Hitting the STOP button does not end the Audition Phrase). Things like Bank Select and Program Change messages are not sent from an Audition Phrase, as they would be from the Play/Rec Sequencer. Understandable, since it is already playing the program it requires.

Audition Phrases play in a cycle. After a pause it will begin again.
If your Song is set as a Loop, the phrase will play looping until you end Audition.

No way you could get all of that out of the one sentence description in the Reference Manual. The point is, you are going to have to roll your sleeves up and try it to know if it will work for what you envision.

Posted : 13/06/2019 2:49 pm
 John

Easy enough to miss... the Manual’s entire reference to this feature is shown above. So very easy to overlook.

From this description you can/must experiment and find a way to make it work for you. (Or not). It is an Audition Phrase. As long as it is understood as this going in, you can figure if it works for what you need to accomplish.

Audition Phrases became an important part of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine’s concept... mainly because all programs are Performances... and while it may be obvious what is intended when the Performances is an acoustic piano or organ... with all the “hidden” features (articulations, Effects, Sound morphing, etc., etc) getting an idea about what can happen when the sound is put “in motion” via the controllers becomes the role of the Audition Phrase. There are also Performances that are not “played” in a traditional fashion, at all. The Audition Phrase allows a ‘clue’ into what the Performance is about. Some Performances are like modular setups where you trigger events via the Keys and the front panel becomes the control surface to interact with Arpeggios (notes) and Motion Sequences (control data) in real-time.

The Audition Phrase is MIDI data. You can Import a Copy of the SONG Folder and make that data available as Audition Phrases. That’s it design concept. How you choose to use this feature, is really up to you... just saying, an understanding of its designed purpose may help understand why it doesn’t do everything playing a Song from the Sequencer does.

It is not exactly the same as playing back the Song from the Play/Rec feature. It plays and stops when the [AUDITION] button is toggled. (Hitting the STOP button does not end the Audition Phrase). Things like Bank Select and Program Change messages are not sent from an Audition Phrase, as they would be from the Play/Rec Sequencer. Understandable, since it is already playing the program it requires.

Audition Phrases play in a cycle. After a pause it will begin again.
If your Song is set as a Loop, the phrase will play looping until you end Audition.

No way you could get all of that out of the one sentence description in the Reference Manual. The point is, you are going to have to roll your sleeves up and try it to know if it will work for what you envision.

Thanks again 🙂 Sounds like this could be a good thing to get stuck into on a wet weekend... and then maybe some more! I look forward to having a play around with this.

Posted : 13/06/2019 3:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us