Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Available Linear MIDI Sequencers (original term, not DAW) for apple Ipad with Montage.

23 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Advise or recommendations for available linear, song-type MIDI sequencer(s). This refers to the classic usage of the phrase, such as the sequencer in a MOTIF or Kurzweil. Further, not pattern, step, etc
Specifically for use in apple iPad for use with montage, and featuring event list editor along with typical editing of all controllers, etc. Thanks in advance.

Posted : 25/08/2022 8:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Typically with linear MIDI editing capabilities - something that fits the "DAW" description (because it also does audio) may have linear MIDI sequencing capabilities that fit the bill with extra "baggage" of also doing other things.

Posted : 25/08/2022 9:05 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason. Yes of course this being the norm, but wondered if anything existed that fit the classic type without the DAW.
If I am unable to find something as "striped-down", then I'll have a look at the various offerings. Outside of the main players, anything that is especially suited or unique for sequencing with montage/iPad?

Posted : 25/08/2022 10:40 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bill.
I have seen the same article, but did not find those to my liking. I will continue to do a deep search to see what I might find.
The reason That I was asking here, was to see if anyone works this way or did.
Actually, a Kurzweil 2500, 2600 module would do very well, but at a price.
I'll certainly let you know what I find...somebody here must be interested in the apple/montage seq.

Posted : 26/08/2022 12:39 am
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=118022]Thanks Jason. Yes of course this being the norm, but wondered if anything existed that fit the classic type without the DAW.[/quotePost]
Hmm, linear MIDI sequencers, which do NOT also support audio tracks... I think these two could be possibilities...

http://www.seven.systems/xequence2/en/index/

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/

Posted : 26/08/2022 12:58 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

If you want a MIDI sequencer that fully supports everything the Montage does (as the internal sequencer does, or the one in Cubase for example), it needs to support SysEx recording (required for recording the knobs and sliders).

Most current hardware sequencers or those on mobile OSes are not doing that.

Even Cubasis doesn't record SysEx, and it's a long standing feature request.

Posted : 26/08/2022 6:16 am
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello AnotherScott. Thanks for offering to help. So far, both apps are not quite right. Seems present day MIDI concepts have moved a distance from the past.
Also, thank you Dragos. About syEx. I'm surprised Cubase does not support it. Are you sure?
In the 90's, Yamaha and Korg, as well some others made hardware units that served as MIDI recorders...not audio. Don't recall if they handled sysEx, but they did provide the type of functions in simple form that I'm looking for..especially the Ensoniq SD-1 sequencer. After looking around to see the conditions of said devices on market today, most were not very good, which is why I am considering hiring-out skilled people to develop such an app as a classic with a few improvements as I see a trend, possibly moving toward more old-school work flows.

Posted : 26/08/2022 6:23 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118041]About syEx. I'm surprised Cubase does not support it. Are you sure?
[/quotePost]
I was writing about Cubasis, the iPad/Android "version" of Cubase.
Few lines above I wrote that Cubase supports it, just like the internal sequencer of the Montage.

Posted : 26/08/2022 6:34 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118041]I am considering hiring-out skilled people to develop such an app as a classic with a few improvements as I see a trend, possibly moving toward more old-school work flows.
[/quotePost]
My fav MIDI only software is by far Loomer Architect, which is both an amazing sequencing environment and a do it all MIDI toolkit. Doesn't record MIDI in its current version, though.

Nothing beats Cubase/Nuendo for straightforward sequencing, IMO.

Posted : 26/08/2022 6:45 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=118044]Nothing beats Cubase/Nuendo for straightforward sequencing, IMO.[/quotePost]

A strong argument can be made for Pro Tools :p

Posted : 26/08/2022 6:47 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118045]
A strong argument can be made for Pro Tools :p [/quotePost]
Haven't used ProTools, but you'd be the first person in the world that I hear recommending ProTools for MIDI sequencing.

Posted : 26/08/2022 7:26 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=118048]Haven't used ProTools, but you'd be the first person in the world that I hear recommending ProTools for MIDI sequencing.[/quotePost]

Yamaha and Cubase users might not like to here this, but Pro Tools is the industry standard used in most pro recording studios, especially the big ones.
I would think the Pros that do sequencing in the big studios, are not on forums all that much recommending Pro Tools to others, as much as they are recommending it to other Pros in the industry outside of forums.
When I first got into using a DAW years ago, I was actually was going to buy Cubase; However a musician/producer I knew had Pro Tools and recommended it, so I went that route instead. I few years later I had (still have) a Facebook friend connection with Shania Twain's/Mutt Lange's studio engineer Kevin Churko, who was a heavy Pro Tools user. They recorded/edited/mixed the first album to be done completely without leaving the digital realm. He was quite helpful with tips and tricks on using Pro Tools. Check out Kevin's resume, it's quite impressive.

Pro Tools is huge for recording, as well as editing and mixing, but it can also do mostly anything other DAWs can with MIDI sequencing.
I've done pretty much as advanced & intricate sequencing as you can do using all 16 PARTs on the Montage, turning various knobs simultaneously at specific points for cutoff/Eq band levels/Eq frequencies sweeping, adjusting aftertouch on some PARTs with precise curves, mod wheel, pitch bend, auto-changing Scenes, Superknob, editing velocities, sustain, etc, etc.

It does everything, including cleaning the kitchen sink!

Posted : 26/08/2022 8:30 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I see that Pro Tools is not available for iPad, rather as a control surface. Cubasis... sorry Dragos that I did not catch that, does not record sysEx.
In the meantime, can anyone recommend any daw for iPad which will record 100% Montage MIDI? I'd be willing to forego the notion of a MIDI only app.

Posted : 26/08/2022 9:33 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Mentioned on the Steinberg forum..." AUM and Mozaic (both support sysex) and send them to CB3." I assumeCB3 is cubase 3

Posted : 26/08/2022 10:41 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118051].
Pro Tools is huge for recording, as well as editing and mixing, but it can also do mostly anything other DAWs can with MIDI sequencing.
I've done pretty much as advanced & intricate sequencing as you can do using all 16 PARTs on the Montage, turning various knobs simultaneously at specific points for cutoff/Eq band levels/Eq frequencies sweeping, adjusting aftertouch on some PARTs with precise curves, mod wheel, pitch bend, auto-changing Scenes, Superknob, editing velocities, sustain, etc, etc.[/quotePost]
The fact that ProTools is an industry standard for recording is well known.

Just as well known is the fact that nobody choses it for its MIDI toolset.
Of course it can record, there's nothing special, any DAW does that. But in terms of MIDI tools Cubase is vastly superior, and so are a lot of other DAWs.

There's a reason nobody doing work primarily involving sequencing (film composers, electronic musicians etc) is using ProTools.

The fact that you know it of course makes it the best for you, but has nothing to do with its actual abilities compared to other DAWs.

Ableton and Bitwig can mix, but nobody will choose those for mixing heavy jobs when there's Cubase/Nuendo, ProTools and Reaper out there.

Posted : 27/08/2022 6:43 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us