Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Available Linear MIDI Sequencers (original term, not DAW) for apple Ipad with Montage.

23 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118061]Mentioned on the Steinberg forum..." AUM and Mozaic (both support sysex) and send them to CB3." I assumeCB3 is cubase 3
[/quotePost]
Most likely Cubasis 3, which is the current version.

Current version of Cubase is 12.

Posted : 27/08/2022 6:45 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=118066]
Just as well known is the fact that nobody choses it for its MIDI toolset.
But in terms of MIDI tools Cubase is vastly superior, and so are a lot of other DAWs.

There's a reason nobody doing work primarily involving sequencing (film composers, electronic musicians etc) is using ProTools.

The fact that you know it of course makes it the best for you, but has nothing to do with its actual abilities compared to other DAWs.
[/quotePost]

This is the first I've heard of this new well known fact & no one else I've talked to who uses Pro Tools for sequencing has heard it either. I rely on what the pros in the music and film industries say when it comes to Pro Tools abilities compared to other DAWs.
If you've never done your sequencing in Pro Tools then I don't think you can exaggerate using the words 'vastly superior'. Trust me, I've used it for years and the MIDI editing is super awesome. Knowing that most big name artists & producers use it for 'everything', I think it surpasses Cubase on MIDI editing.
Outside of forums & home studio enthusiasts, it's a well known fact by those who work in the the big studios, as well as for big films, that the MIDI editing tools in Pro Tools HD are awesome & state of the art. It's the industry standard for more than just recording!

Saying that 'nobody' uses Pro Tools with regard to work involving sequencing for film composers, electronic musicians, is quite an exaggeration. You should do some research on Pro Tools HD, who uses it, and how they use it, before making statements like that. You might be surprised of what you find out. Artists, producers, and engineers such as Kevin & Kane Churko, Amy Lee (Evanescence), Pharrell, Alicia Keys, Jack Antonoff (Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey), Benny Blanco (Justin Bieber, Kanye West), Andrew Scheps (Adele, Metallica), and countless others have crafted numerous hits, all from within Pro Tools. They don't just use it for recording & mixing, but for everything ... all the editing, midi editing & sequencing, etc.

Here's just one little example.
James Horner is a well known Oscar winning composer, who worked with a world class scoring team on one of the largest films in history (Avatar), whereby Pro Tools HD is the MIDI and Score editing software used, and they said they couldn't have done the score in the film without Pro Tools.
If James were still alive, he, Simon Rhodes (the "scoring mixer" for Avatar), as well as Simon Franglen (the "electronic music arranger" for Avatar) would disagree with your statements above, as they said that the Pro Tools HD Score editor & the MIDI editor were key elements that made the project, and they also said that Pro Tools HD was absolutely essential & that it was impossible to imagine making that score using anything else.
The score for Avatar was nominated for an Oscar!

Check out what they say about working with Pro Tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvwUBNg-X8

Posted : 27/08/2022 5:32 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118078]Knowing that most big name artists & producers use it for 'everything', I think it surpasses Cubase on MIDI editing.[/quotePost]
Actually, they don't and you think wrong.

[quotePost id=118078]The score for Avatar was nominated for an Oscar![/quotePost]
That's cute.
Meanwhile, the guys who are actually winning Oscars for film scoring are using Cubase or Digital Performer or Logic.

Anyway, the topic is using an iPad sequencer with the Montage, not your fantasies about ProTools.

Posted : 27/08/2022 5:47 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=118079]
Actually, they don't and you think wrong.
That's cute.
Meanwhile, the guys who are actually winning Oscars for film scoring are using Cubase or Digital Performer or Logic.
Anyway, the topic is using an iPad sequencer with the Montage, not your fantasies about ProTools.[/quotePost]

There's no need to start insulting my intelligence...
Please play it cool and keep the discussion light! 😉

You made a comment above about "Nothing beats Cubase/Nuendo for straightforward sequencing" and I light heartedly made a comment.

You later made some arguments that I thought were over exaggerated, so I provided some facts to the contrary.

We don't have to agree, but we could debate or discuss opposing opinions without it getting too heavy or slinging insults.

Can we just "play cool" with regard to the discussion, like Blake (Yamaha) had requested of everyone on here a few months back??

Posted : 27/08/2022 7:12 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The topic is iPad and MIDI sequencing with support for SysEx. This, to me, would be an ideal and ergonomic solution for Montage for my needs.
Regarding Pro Tools...never used it, but when you state the success of the scoring, I assume you refer to orchestral players?
I didn't understand what role MIDI played other than MIDI generating equipment, were there major orchestral sample libraries? That would certainly require well implemented MIDI. Anyway, no Pro Tools residing on iPad.
Back to the topic, if cubase is fully onboard with SysEx, such that Montage's compliment of controllers, et al will record and playback exactly, I'll consider a laptop solution unless I find an app that handles SysEx.

Posted : 28/08/2022 5:59 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118084]I'll consider a laptop solution unless I find an app that handles SysEx.[/quotePost]
At home, I'm using Nuendo/Cubase on a Surface Pro 8, which has the same footprint as an iPad Pro, but with the advantage that you can connect 2 external montors if you want to go "full desktop experience".
You do need either a mouse or a pen to operate this type of software properly, touch alone won't do.

Posted : 28/08/2022 2:45 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=118084]Back to the topic, if cubase is fully onboard with SysEx, such that Montage's compliment of controllers, et al will record and playback exactly, I'll consider a laptop solution unless I find an app that handles SysEx.[/quotePost]
Do install Montage Connect after you install Cubase.
It will let you sync and save the Performance with the Cubase project and will also provide templates already setup with the required MIDI tracks, a separate part for SysEx and the required audio tracks.
Also, some older but good tutorials:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/cubase-setup-guide-workflow-midi-rec-daw
https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/mastering-montage-arp-rec-on-daw

Posted : 28/08/2022 2:56 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Dragos. Thank you for all that useful and practical info. Sounds like an excellent choice

Posted : 29/08/2022 5:52 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us