Notifications
Clear all

Basic question

23 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

Rod wrote:

Ah! Thanks Bad Mister - that is a pain. I don't use a DAW (I don't write music nor compose songs), so can I use 'Connect'?. My computer is not connected to the Montage either, and I suppose it will have to be to use Connect? (USB to Host?). I often wish I had a better grasp of all this electronic stuff, sorry ...

It is not painful. You do not need to use a DAW. YES, you can use "Montage Connect" as a standalone program, without a DAW.

YES, you will need to use "Montage Connect"... to begin to gain a grasp of this "electronic stuff" place your computer in proximity with your instrument, connect them with a simple USB cable, and enter the bigger world of electronically enhanced music making here in the 21st century. You will not regret it. The computer is a tool that will enhance your experience, particular on the things it was designed to do: organize and archive your data.

Posted : 14/11/2016 11:16 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - thanks for the effort! You lost me in the 'Sys-Ex' dump business though - I know of it of course, but have never dared attempt any such horrific sounding exercise! So thought I'd stick to convention and go Bad Mister's route ...

... which has gone wrong! Why am I not surprised? Downloaded 'Montage Connect' for the Montage 7, everything went fine. Extracted it to a specially created folder, and deleted the German, French, and Japanese manuals. All set to install - only it won't. I am advised that it 'cannot be installed on this version of Windows'. Which is Windows 10 Home Premium, up to date, with a 3Mz AMD CPU and 4Gb of RAM (3 Gb available) etc: which seems OK to me? The only thing I see that may be an issue is that the processor is 64 bit but the OS is 32 bit. Does that matter? What can I do about that if it does?

There is a note in the Release Notes that says '64 bit only' but it appears to apply to Windows 7 in XP mode. Probably not only that! Can I convert 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one?

Posted : 15/11/2016 1:45 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello again - to answer my own question, I checked the internet, and conversion should be possible BUT it is not a matter of clicking this and that. The upshot is that Guru will collect the computer this afternoon and perform the required jiggery-pokery upon it, and return it in full 64 bit format. Sounds good to me. I will report in due course ...

Posted : 15/11/2016 2:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rod, the SysEx solution was for a wider audience. Since you had mentioned being a MIDI novice - this level of complexity is not intended for your consumption since the software methods are there to make this process more straight-forward.

When I read your post, I had concerns about the licensing - but it does appear, from further research, that 32-to-64 bit migration is a valid (and free) cross-grade option from Microsoft and involves simply reinstalling 64-bit over the 32-bit version (backup first). According to the reference, this should "pick up" your 32-bit OS license key. The rest of the instructions involve how to check your machine meets the minimum requirements for Win 10 64-bit.

Posted : 15/11/2016 7:35 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - my computer is now in Guru's hospital being re-invented - he told me everything will have to be re-installed, and we went through the bits I wanted to keep. However, what 'licence' are you speaking of? Is that the Steinberg e-licence? I am so fed-up with Steinberg and their paranoid security I'm dumping the lot. Too complicated by far, haven't used it in years - I have tried, just to remind myself of how difficult it is, but just don't want to know. I am relying entirely on 'Connect' being standalone, as it claims to be. As I say, I don't write music or compose songs, so have no use for a DAW. My only caveat is whether I can use my computer as a memory Bank. All 3 synths in the set-up have 'USB to Host' connectors, and I'm wondering how I can use those? I guess that 'Montage Connect' will only work with the Montage, and the Tyros and the M3 will have their own drivers etc:. Be interesting!

Posted : 16/11/2016 7:24 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The license I was referring to was Windows. I was initially afraid what you had discovered was not "legit" - but did research and found migrating from Windows 10 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit (same level = "Pro" or "Home" etc.) is supported and not an issue.

I wasn't covering/addressing your programs. Reinstalling these is generally a straight-forward process although possibly time consuming if you have lots of packages and plug-ins.

I'm not sure which Steinberg product you've installed - but the Cubase AI software included with the Montage purchase is about in the middle in terms of licensing out there. I don't think it requires an internet connection (as some do) and also surely does not require a USB license key ("dongle") as some packages do. Even worse was Microsoft's phone verification process which used a long key to get back an even longer key. I think they employed 4-step verification at one point - now that was a pain. Some software I have requires paying yearly to maintain the license (about 50% cost of the Montage 6, as one example) - that's one form of a "pain".

I found the install process (including the licensing portion) to be straight-forward. Considering Cubase AI was free with purchase, I am OK with jumping through some easy hoops in order to protect Steinberg's time investment in the software and ensure they receive proper compensation for each seat.

Posted : 16/11/2016 2:15 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - Guru tells me this morning that Beastie (music computer) has now been converted to 64bit and will be returned this afternoon complete with all files re-instated, but minus most programs, which I will need to re-install if I want them. Including Cubase AI that came with the Montage, which I don't think I do want as I have no use for it. I actually have 5 USB licence keys I've accumulated over the years - 3 for Steinberg, 1 for Arturia, and a massive iLok I don't remember who for. As I recall, I had to activate the Montage Cubase AI via an e-licenser (which had to be up-dated), but I lost interest anyway. See how I get on with a de-cluttered computer!

Posted : 17/11/2016 8:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

No idea about iLok. It can be used for lots of different software packages. An online search shows most people use it for Pro Tools - but certainly its usage is not limited to that package.

Posted : 17/11/2016 9:27 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us