Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Bitwig Studio 2 integration

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, I am a Bitwig Studio 2 user and I would like purchasing a Montage. I am just wondering how deep the integration with that DAW would be since I can't find it explained extensively on the web. I am talking especially about MIDI tracks including automation of parameters. I usually compose MIDIs in an instrument track on Bitwig and try to adjust MIDI data, pitches, length of notes of course or filters cutoffs, etc. to the sounds of the instruments I am using. Would it be possible to do that on Bitwig Studio MIDI clips and automation lines using Montage's sounds, adjusting those sounds over time via MIDI automation? Hope it can be done, thanks.

Posted : 25/08/2017 9:30 am
Bad Mister

Yes.

You can work the way you're used to... but hopefully, you're open to first learning the instrument, then you might find that doing the "automation" on the other end of the cable (in the Montage) is not only more powerful, but more musical, more organic and far more fun. Maybe not for fixing lengths of individual notes, but for automation over the Synth's sound!

Here's what I mean... by announcing that you use a particular device to record, and then asking does the instrument work for how this device works, is like putting the wrong thing first. You may develop a new way of manipulating controllers...after all, the Montage is all about Motion Control. At first, you may want go in a "draw in your controllers"... some people find this creative. But what you'll discover in short order, is that with Montage you Program the Synth controller automation in the Synth - that's what Motion Control is about... Multi-dimensional controller movements... on the deepest of levels of the synthesizers architecture.

But to answer the question... yes, you can work as you are used to... but we predict what you will find more exciting (perhaps) is the new, varied, and different ways that Montage allows you to manipulate and automate control of parameters! In realtime!

Instead of "drawing" controllers with a mouse, you will be "painting" controllers with Knobs, pedals, and interactivity of components in the Synth engine... automation of almost anything is possible within the Motion Control engine.... get back to us after you own a Montage. The beauty of this all is, you'll have your choice about how to work.

Posted : 25/08/2017 11:47 am
Manfred

Hello Enrico,
how you installed Montage Connect in Bitwig and how you connect to the Parts of a Performance?

Posted : 26/12/2018 10:11 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

@Manfred

Since Bitwig has releases in operating systems not directly supported by Montage (Linux) - you're going to have to specify your version of Bitwig. Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Linux can only work with class compliant drivers - there's not a Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for Linux that I am aware of. Nor is there a release of Montage Connect for Linux.

Hopefully you're using Windows or Mac.

For Windows(PC) and OSX(Mac) Montage Connect is standalone and VST3 based. Installing Montage Connect as a VST3 in your DAW is not unlike installing other standard VST3s. Bitwig supports 32+64 bit VST3 effect and instruments.

The general rundown is to figure out your DAW's VST directory (where it searches for VSTs) and then copy the VST's dll file there.

There's a slow, meandering video on using plugins in Bitwig. The problem with this "tutorial" is it goes off track several times covering things that do not relate. I do not have Bitwig - but I get a sense of where the menus are that I would need to access to add Montage Connect by looking at certain parts of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD1WrKFH3OE

This is where you set or see where your plugin directory is set: https://youtu.be/mD1WrKFH3OE?t=164
(focus on where his mouse is)

Here's where you'd add Montage Connect: https://youtu.be/mD1WrKFH3OE?t=231

Posted : 27/12/2018 6:56 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us