Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can a Montage be used as a live Multi-Channel MIDI controller? Comparable to Kurzweil PC3

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
Topic starter

I have used Kurzweil for 20 years. It is incredibly easy to set up different zones to control different MIDI modules on different channels.
For example, I can have up to 8 zones across the keyboard. I can have two zones playing local sounds. At the same time, I can have multiple other zones sending out MIDI info and control the volumes of those external devices with the onboard sliders via Controller #7(volume).

Here is my Montage question: Can it function the same way?
I am not concerned as much about it functioning with a DAW as much as being able to have LIVE control of the volume of external devices, blending everything together WITH THE MONTAGE.

Thanks in advance!

Posted : 06/01/2017 7:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not familiar with the nitty-gritty of Kurzweil - but do know that its MIDI implementation is a strong-point although some say it's hard to program. That's generally the case - more flexibility gives you more work to do.

At the high-level, what you describe is doable. Certainly you can have 8 different zones under keyboard control with instant access to the control sliders for those same zones. These control sliders will affect volume. Each of these will go MIDI OUT to a user assignable MIDI channel (using Zones). MIDI IN is less flexible, but this isn't what you're describing.

Each of these 8 zones can either cause Montage to generate sounds (target the tone generator) or can be strictly for external control - or both, if you wish.

There is some control over what is sent out each channel MIDI OUT - so some filtering is available.

This is one of those topics which has a laundry list of possibilities and therefore, the devil is in the details.

Posted : 07/01/2017 7:56 am
Bad Mister

I have used Kurzweil for 20 years. It is incredibly easy to set up different zones to control different MIDI modules on different channels.
For example, I can have up to 8 zones across the keyboard. I can have two zones playing local sounds. At the same time, I can have multiple other zones sending out MIDI info and control the volumes of those external devices with the onboard sliders via Controller #7(volume).

Here is my Montage question: Can it function the same way?
I am not concerned as much about it functioning with a DAW as much as being able to have LIVE control of the volume of external devices, blending everything together WITH THE MONTAGE.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth! The answer is yes. The Montage can transmit on as many as 8 Zones each set to different MIDI channel. For live play any combination of eight internal/external sounds can be recalled from a Performance for simultaneous play. You can have two sounds (Parts) for local play, and that would leave six Zones for external play. If you setup five Parts for internal play, that would give you three Zones for simultaneous external play. And combination totalling eight.

Like anything MIDI it's a matter of setting up and matching Transmit Channels and Receive Channels to accomplish your goal. Controller Number Assignments on Montage can be customized on a per Performance basis, so you can design each program (Performance) to behave as you require. And you have a large controller Transmit Switch grid to determine if a controller is transmitted via each particular zone.

Not only can each have their own volume Fader but you can preset a volume level (cc007) and pan position (cc010) for each... in addition to the sending a Bank Select and Program Change for each.

Posted : 07/01/2017 11:05 am
Scott
Eminent Member

HI there,

Ive been searching for a a couple of answers about the Montage before possible purchase.

As a previous owner of the XF i remembered having issues trying to setup two keyboards midi'd together and am wanting to know if the Montage is similar in this area.

On the XF Im pretty sure you had to set up the motif as the MASTER in order to achieve decent functionality. I dont mind that but want to confirm that in a setlist/performance is there a function to be able to filter out midi notes from another keyboard hooked to the Montage?

So I will be able to play sounds from the Montage with my other weighted controller, but also play sounds from my other Synth(FA08) with the Montage only on the channels I specifiy. I know the FA08 does not have a midi send filter so this aspect if important before purchase. I know my Kurzweil PC3K6 could do it, is there this possibility on the Montage?

Thanks in advance...
Scott

Posted : 14/01/2017 12:06 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

MIDI input channels can be unassigned or the tone generator can be turned off which both essentially filters them. For each part, you cannot assign/set/change the MIDI channel that part responds to. You can elect to turn off the tone generator from responding to MIDI on a given part (MIDI channel). For those performances you want the external keyboard to control Montage will require some manual setup - but it can be done.

It is not going to be "plug and play" for presets since they have fixed MIDI channels per part. It's going to be "massage the preset performance to work with the FA-08, store this as a new user performance, then play".

I'm not sure 100% of what you're trying to do - and I'm not sure what your threshold of programming is. Some do not want to edit anything and regard one setting change as a chore. Some would be dissatisfied if the amount of key presses is more than some other synth for getting to the same destination.

As long as "can" is sufficient - and "how" is secondary (how much work is involved) - then I believe you are covered.

Posted : 14/01/2017 12:50 am
Scott
Eminent Member

Thanks for the reply, I normally have to do this anyway for our band so thats no issue, I find the quickest way is to create a template patch on each Synth with the right midi channels enabled etc then use that each time creating the next performance. If it can be done then now choice will only come down to if I can get a Montage or Kronos 2 at the right price.

Thanks.
Scott

Posted : 14/01/2017 2:49 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us