Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can I get a 72.5 tempo. Not 72, not 73. Do I have to go to 145?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ben
Topic starter

Because that throws off the arpeggiator patterns.

I've gotta be missing something here, but I can't get the tempo to do an uneven number.

Posted : 12/05/2018 4:22 am
Stefan

I am pretty sure you cannot enter such a tempo, sorry. But the question is of course, why would you want that exact tempo? Because you can hear the difference? I think I would not be able to hear it. Or because you want to synchronize it to something else? I strongly believe that will not work in any case. The two tempo sources will for sure drift apart after a while. In that case it would be better to really synchronize the two tempo sources. There are various methods, MIDI, USB, but you can also synchronize using audio. The Montage can synchronize to some source coming in over the audio in port. Maybe that helps in your case?

Posted : 12/05/2018 7:08 am
Bad Mister

Anytime you start by saying “because that throws off the arpeggiator pattern” it means you are not properly using them. As Stefan points out, you need to synchronize the MONTAGE clock to whatever is sending Master clock.

You cannot effectively use the Arpeggiator by simply attempting to match the tempo... that will not work. Try playing along with a band on video but with no sound, you can’t do it. You need to hear. “Hearing” for a MIDI-based device is sending it MIDI clock.

Midi clock allows your synthesizer to be a professional. It can “hear” and accurately follow all tempo changes of the master clock device.
Simply setting two devices to the same tempo is no better than synchronizing watches... eventually they drift out of sync...
Midi sync, on the other hand, is corrected many times per beat - far better than even humanly possible. Trust MIDI CLOCK.

Posted : 12/05/2018 9:30 am
 Ben
Topic starter

Syncing the midi is the answer here. Thanks.

The reason I want that exact tempo is because I'm recreating a song.

Posted : 13/05/2018 12:35 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us