Notifications
Clear all

Build song parts in Montage?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have heard Montage does not have a standard sequencer. Is it possible to build songs, kind of in a looping manner on they keyboard? You know, start out by laying down a drum track over 6 or 8 measures, then layer on a bass line, then layer on a piano part, etc?

Posted : 12/05/2018 1:06 pm
Bad Mister

What you have heard is true, the MONTAGE does not have a standard sequencer. But that does not prevent you from building a song using a Loop based construction approach. MONTAGE features a chord intelligent system of Arpeggiators that can be used to construct real time musical backing. A Performance can be used to house as many as eight Parts (instruments), you can play them directly or assign an Arpeggiator to control it.

“Song building” is (or, can be) based on constructing a real time rhythm section. This is where the Arpeggiators come in. Arpeggio Phrases are extremely pliable in that you can adjust the timing and feel using the Arp Play FX (this in addition to them adjusting to chord quality/Key). This maybe a completely new way to work. The data can be recorded (to separate Tracks) to a DAW as MIDI or as Audio, where you can edit, redo or replace parts, before adding additional parts. The data you create can be captured on board to MONTAGE’s Performance Recorder (a quick way to capture either a MIDI or audio rendering of your creation). The data recorded to the internal recorder can be dragged and dropped as MIDI into your favorite DAW... Or if you’ve recorded audio to a connected USB drive, you can place the .wav (stereo, 44.1kHz/24-bit) recording into your favorite DAW.

You can even construct your own Arpeggio phrases for this type of song building... using a DAW, like Cubase. ARPEGGIO Phrases are a special type of Midi data; then you can load the data to MONTAGE where you can convert the data into Arpeggios. Any .mid data can be loaded and quickly converted into a MONTAGE Arpeggio.

EXAMPLES of song building Performances:
Examples of such Performances can be found here:
MONTAGifying Motif XF Article Series

Posted : 12/05/2018 3:21 pm
Eminent Member

I have created quick user arps with the onboard recorder, and used those within scenes so the 6 piece backing band plays a different independent chord progression, beat, rhythm, etc. I then could take the remaining 2 tracks to play along / solo along with what I had precorded on the other 6 tracks. Works really cool when say you have 6 scenes that have bass, drum, and guitar arps (loops) all responding to what ever chords you play live, then go to a scene that has arps(loops) that play pre recorded chord progression and you can solo along using foot pedal, and knob tweaking... while the band plays on. You can do this with a PC or without. The onboard arps (loops) are amazing to play with live, and you can pretty easily capture a 4-8-16 bar progression and use that to jam along with, just using the onboard recorder, and arp / scene assignments.

Posted : 12/05/2018 6:28 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your responses, this is very exciting. It will take me some time to try to understand what you are saying so bear with me.

Let me ask something else along the same lines. Is it possible to (A) layer in (build) these song parts using different instruments and then (B) create a song with typical structure like, intro, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, coda?

My passion right now is to teach myself how to play uplifting trance music on this board. I'm not so much looking for professional recording (finished product of song to be bounced to a wav file) as much as I am looking for structures to play live.

Posted : 13/05/2018 11:17 am
Eminent Member

Dont mean to take over the string but absolutely. What I did was record a sequence using the onboard sequencer with say a band of 5 parts (Drms, Bass, Gtr 1, pad, Keyboard). You could either record all your parts once or separately as different songs. You then isolate your intro, verse, bridge measures within your songs. Then you take the songs and convert them into 6 differents arps (using the type of arp that plays back the exact notes ) 6 for the intro, 6 more for the verse, 6 more for the bridge. You then assign these arps (which play back exactly what they played b4 to scenes). One Scene is the intro, 2 is the verse, 3 bridge, 4 chorus, 5 coda. Then when playing live you can just press the scene you want and that part of the song plays for you with all the parts of the band playing along. This was very similar to me how I used the sequence in the MO6 with the a b c patterns. Montage excels at playing live, and if want to arrange using a sequence its really fast and easy as well. The onboard recorder is very cool, but its not a true sequencer..... but I find I when I need something in a DAW, I just start playing with a PC too.

On the arps bit, I would be happy to show you off line the exact steps I took on capturing verse, bridge, chorus...midi sequences as arps and applied the me scenes, literally takes minutes

Posted : 13/05/2018 11:18 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us