Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can Montage function as a AU or VST plug in for DAW use?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
12.1 K Views
 Jeff
Topic starter

Will Montage have an editor that allows for DIRECT plug in use into a DAW, such as Audio Units [AU] or VST, so that the recording process is simplified?

Specifically, will Montage have 64 bit AU that can record into Logic just as easily as a soft synth?

I can do that with my Moog Voyager and my Prophet 12, but not my Korg Kronos. I would jump to Montage if it has the capability.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Posted : 29/02/2016 9:51 pm
david
Reputable Member

I'll let BM answer more specifically concerning other DAW options but this is the Cubase AI which comes with the Montage including VSTs/64 bit info. as noted within this link as well as the Montage features including full DAW integration over USB with the provided driver.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_yamaha/cubase_ai.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/montage/montage8/?mode=model

Posted : 29/02/2016 10:50 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

There will be a VST/AU capture app coming later in the year that will be able to capture internal Montage Performance settings and store/recall them within DAW software. Since multi channel USB audio and MIDI connectivity is built in, this will allow Montage to function within the DAW in a similar fashion to a virtual instrument.

Keep checking here for more information!

Posted : 01/03/2016 6:09 pm
Eminent Member

bangelos@yamaha.com wrote:

There will be a VST/AU capture app coming later in the year that will be able to capture internal Montage Performance settings and store/recall them within DAW software. Since multi channel USB audio and MIDI connectivity is built in, this will allow Montage to function within the DAW in a similar fashion to a virtual instrument.

Keep checking here for more information!

This is nice....

But as a performer i would be even more happy if Montage would also come with a VST wrapper much like NI komplete or Akai VIP and. The abbility to controll these VST,s directly from the Montage...

Posted : 01/03/2016 8:42 pm
Bad Mister

This is nice....

But as a performer i would be even more happy if Montage would also come with a VST wrapper much like NI komplete or Akai VIP and. The abbility to controll these VST,s directly from the Montage...

? Apples and wing nuts... NI komplete and the Akai VIP, are they hardware? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are talking about, or you are misunderstanding what it means when it is mentioned that a VST/AU will become available.
Either way, when it is said it will be available via VST/AU this means that routing signal to and from the Montage hardware will take place so that you can choose to process it in the box (computer) prior to rendering real audio. The audio is routed from the Montage hardware in such a way the audio remains "virtual" (generated in real time) until you export audio mixdown.

VST is Virtual Studio Technology, and represents an innovation introduced by Steinberg back in the 1990s to allow audio (external or internal) to be processed in the DAW program. Rather than printing audio to tracks, the audio being generated is available for processing in real time (thus the word "virtual" audio) - so what you are hearing is what you WILL get once you finally render it as an audio wave. The audio can be generated in the computer as with soft synths, or it can be external to the computer as it would be with a Motif XF, MOXF, or a Montage. It is a routing scheme.

Don't see where a wrapper would be used. (Wrap music, perhaps! 🙂 that's an oxymoron isn't it?

Posted : 02/03/2016 12:33 pm
 Jan

Phil, is it as seamless as with any other VST soft synth? Ie. the "freeze synth" function (that's what it's called in Sonar, not sure how it is called in Cubase) will render the audio from the Montage into a plain audio track?

If so, is it a (with regards to time) 1:1 process? Ie. a 3 minute track will require 3 minutes to render?

Posted : 02/03/2016 5:43 pm
 Jeff
Topic starter

Thanks for the info, everyone. I am very excited to see proposed AU plug-in function....it makes recording SO much easier!

Posted : 02/03/2016 10:12 pm
Bad Mister

Jan wrote:

Phil, is it as seamless as with any other VST soft synth? Ie. the "freeze synth" function (that's what it's called in Sonar, not sure how it is called in Cubase) will render the audio from the Montage into a plain audio track?

If so, is it a (with regards to time) 1:1 process? Ie. a 3 minute track will require 3 minutes to render?

@ Jan, I cannot answer that for the Montage VST as I have not seen it yet. But can answer for the Yamaha Synths that have featured VST Editors (MOX, MOXF, Motif XS/XF, Motif-Rack XS, S90 XS/S70 XS) in the past... it's a VSTi so absolutely as seamless and smooth as if it were a soft synth, with the added benefit of not heaping tons of stress on your computer's CPU because the synth's hardware does all the heavy-lifting! And the ability to use FREEZE and EXPORT AUDIO MIXDOWN (as it is called in Cubase-land) are completely available.

As we begin work with Montage, it will or can (depending on how you choose to work) present some unique challenges for computer-based MIDI recording. Exactly, how that will impact your particular workflow is unknown until you start to interact with the Montage. In some respects it is bigger than what a single Midi channel can hold.

The significance of the built-in direct Performance Recorder for recording MIDI data, and the workflow of then exporting this data to your favorite DAW, is lost on many until one actually starts working with the instrument. If you have a 'written in stone' workflow you may find yourself making changes to that in order to utilize what the Montage has on offer.

But whether you record your MIDI tracks internally and export them to your favorite DAW, or you record directly to the DAW... the VST routing situation will allow the Montage engine to respond to those DAW MIDI tracks and return audio by via its 32 bus audio outputs.

And yes, because the Montage is generating real audio it is returned to your DAW in real time. The computer is only documenting the recording, not generating the audio. So a 3 minute 20 second composition will take precisely 3 minutes and 20 seconds to render as audio.

Posted : 03/03/2016 4:50 pm
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:

This is nice....

? Apples and wing nuts... NI komplete and the Akai VIP, are they hardware? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are talking about, or you are misunderstanding what it means when it is mentioned that a VST/AU will become available.
Either way, when it is said it will be available via VST/AU this means that routing signal to and from the Montage hardware will take place so that you can choose to process it in the box (computer) prior to rendering real audio. The audio is routed from the Montage hardware in such a way the audio remains "virtual" (generated in real time) until you export audio mixdown.

VST is Virtual Studio Technology, and represents an innovation introduced by Steinberg back in the 1990s to allow audio (external or internal) to be processed in the DAW program. Rather than printing audio to tracks, the audio being generated is available for processing in real time (thus the word "virtual" audio) - so what you are hearing is what you WILL get once you finally render it as an audio wave. The audio can be generated in the computer as with soft synths, or it can be external to the computer as it would be with a Motif XF, MOXF, or a Montage. It is a routing scheme.

Don't see where a wrapper would be used. (Wrap music, perhaps! 🙂 that's an oxymoron isn't it?

Let me rephrase my question......

Wouldnt it be great to have the same controll over 3rd party VST's as the NI kontroll and the Akai adavnce have...

These are hardware solutions to controll VSTs in real time, they use a piece of remote software on the PC called a VST wrapper..

This solution allows you to use and controll the VST's directly from the hardware ( in our case the Montage) screen and interface...
If you use the Montage as the audio interface of your PC, then it will feel to the live player like the VSTs are fully integrated on the Montage...

With the montage stepping away from being a workstation and more to a performance synth, pc integration is becomming more and more important
A feature like this would be perfect for players that want to use Momtage in combination with VSts in a live situation..

As far as i figured it out when you make Montage the center of your setup... You want to...

- do your recordings and deep edditing on a DAW/PC program
- controll your performance from the Montage..
But also...
- comtroll your DAW from the montage (it would be great if we just like on motif xf could assign almost any physical button, knob, slider etc to controll parameters on the DAW) not only DAW's but also programs like Karma for Motif and Varranger make extensive use of this feature..
- controll VST software or Hardware modules from the Montage

The last 2 parts is where all the fuss in this topic is about, there is no imdication wether this will be possible at all on the Montage, where the 2nd part is wishfull thinking of me, the first part was very well possible on the Motif..

Posted : 05/03/2016 8:55 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us