Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can the tracks be set to LOOP in the song?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, here the future owner of the Montage. My doubt:

Can the tracks be set to LOOP in the song?

Posted : 07/03/2016 8:36 pm
Bad Mister

No. tracks are linear in nature on the Montage.
Arpeggio phrases can be set to loop or to single play

Posted : 08/03/2016 3:28 am
david
Reputable Member

Think of Montage like having a tape recorder/player function. It can't stop/rewind/play/stop/rewind/play to create a loop. Can you manually copy measures 1-4 to measure 5-8 and create a loop? I think you can punch-in, over-write and replace audio data but not sure about copy and pasting.

Posted : 08/03/2016 9:00 pm
 Rob

As I understand: yes you can punch-in, over-write and replace audio data and MIDI data as well. If I am wrong pls correct me.
I am afraid that copy and pasting are impossible. But you know, in my opinion copy and pasting or editing MIDI notes, that are things related with... well just editing. However set the track to loop is something more about performance, about playing. It should be including in this instrument. But it is only my opinion.
Still undecided possible future owner of the Montage.

Posted : 03/04/2016 1:32 pm

It's called a performance recorder for a reason. The Montage is called a music synthesizer for a reason.

I too think it's an oversight the recorder does not include basic editing and functions such as being able to loop a phrase but it is what it is. You guys need to accept you'll need a sequencer for use with montage if that is how you work. Montage is class compliant with an iPad so theoretically you could use GarageBand for these functions.

Posted : 03/04/2016 3:14 pm
Bad Mister

It is best to think of the sequencer in the Montage as a Direct Performance Recorder. That is, to record a Multi Part Performance and document the gestures and nuances of the player interacting with that Performance. That is its primary function. To be clear, it is designed primarily to record, as MIDI, a real time interaction between the player and the Motion Control Synthesizer. This is primarily what I see that is confusing people. They want this to be a Motif, but it is a Montage. The name change (expensive to do, and apparently, quite impossible to keep secret) was deemed necessary. So those who "get" that this is NOT a Motif, thank you, it shows our the effort was not in vain.

The Motif concept was one Part, one MIDI channel, one Track; Montage concept is not bound by those same rules. And necessarily introduces some new things to consider. You've heard that "Single Part" Performances are the equivalent of a Voice. But Montage has two types of Multiple Part Performances... Those that create a multi-dimensional, highly detailed, single instrument sound, or one where each Part is a different instrument (typically using arpeggios).

A Multi Part single instrument Performance, like the "Seattle Strings" Performances occupies 7 Parts. And is designed to give the performer ultimate control over performing the role of orchestral strings in a live stage situation. Seamlessly morphing between different size ensembles, even changing the environment, playing this sound allows exponentially more dynamic real time control when the keyboardist's role is to function as orchestral strings. Or an 18 Element acoustic grand piano... This uses multiple Parts to create a highly detailed, extremely expressive and responsive piano... Using the equivalent of multiple XF's to generate one specific playable sound!

Yes, of course, you can record its MIDI data to a single Track, but it does occupy more of your 16 Parts. Rendering parts to audio, quickly becomes a part of your workflow. (That's what you don't get right away from just reading specs - but becomes immediately apparent when working with the Montage).

Then there are Multi Part multiple instrument Performances, where each individual Part needs to have its MIDI data recorded to a separate Track. These are similar in construct to what is on offer in the Motif and MOXF series. And while you can certainly build Performances that do what Performances do in the Motif XF and MOXF, however, I have yet to find one that follows that same kind of paradigm. I'm specifically talking about those that behaved much like a hip Arranger keyboard. The multi instrument Performances here are building some kind of structure that the player interacts with - the programming focus is on using the components of the synth to interact with the Motion Control engine. Be that to morph between sounds ...Choir - Strings - Pipe Organ or they setup a musical atmosphere/groove that the performer sets in motion and interacts with.

Posted : 03/04/2016 6:08 pm
 Rob

I would use it with PC and Cubase AI, for editing, it is no problem for me, although I understand people who prefer skip the computer.
But to performing with tracks set to loop... It so easier in hardwear instruments! It is strange that you can do it in Montage with Arpeggios but not with your own recorded phrases.

Posted : 03/04/2016 6:17 pm
david
Reputable Member

In the "Backing Track" post the proposed work-around was said to be possible. If that's possible then can't the motion control system be programmed to loop the track as desired?

Posted : 04/04/2016 5:16 pm
Bad Mister

The Montage has a real time direct Performance Recorder. It is designed to RECORD the player interacting with the Montage tone engine.
It can also be used to playback .mid files

...can't the motion control system be programmed to loop the track as desired?

No, not at all.

Posted : 04/04/2016 7:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us