Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

BadMister, 2 questions! 🙂

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

1. so you don't have a sampler, but you have the ability to map multiple samples to notes and velocities (multisamples) in Montage directly from it's interface?
2. side-chain can be routed to internal drum or part?

Posted : 06/03/2016 2:23 pm
Topic starter

ahhh, one more:

Libraries samples/parts/performances and user samples/parts/performances are stored in different locations?

Posted : 06/03/2016 3:20 pm
Bad Mister

1. so you don't have a sampler, but you have the ability to map multiple samples to notes and velocities (multisamples) in Montage directly from it's interface?

Yes

2. side-chain can be routed to internal drum or part?

Yes. But most often you use the Side Chain/Modulation to route a percussive sound to modify a sustaining sound (if that is what you meant, yes). Any Part 1-16 and even the A/D Input Part can be used as the source.

The following Insert Effects allow Side Chaining:
• VCM Compressor 376
• Classic Compressor
• Multi-band Compressor
• Ring Modulator
• Dynamic Ring Modulator
• Dynamic Filter
• Dynamic Phaser
• Dynamic Flanger

The Side Chain/Modulator is a routing scenario that uses the output from one track to control an effect in a different track. You can specify the Effect type for activating the feature so that input signals for Parts or the audio input signal can control the specified Effect.

Libraries samples/parts/performances and user samples/parts/performances are stored in different locations?

I'm sorry, the question is not clear. Perhaps this will help.

You have basic internal Wave ROM (5.65GB) that is used to create the Montage Performances that come in the factory set. You can build your own Performances from this basic library of data.
When you load a Montage Library File (.X7L) it does not overwrite any of the factory Montage Performances. Each Montage Library has its own independent area. In this area you can have some 640 Performances made from the data.
A Library with 16 Performances could be loaded
Another Library with 128 Performances could be loaded
Another Library with 640 Performances could be loaded.
And so on... The number of programs depends on what the Library file offers.

All can exist in Montage at one time, in fact, 8 Libraries can be added in addition to basic factory User set. All the data remains available. This is quite different from the Motif XF/MOXF system where it required some planning and thought to organize your data efficiently. And while I'm not saying no thought needs to go into this, but there is far less pre planning and head scratching. (A part of the streamlined workflow)

The details will be unfolded as we get closer to actual shipping day. But thus, far the significant thing is, you have more than enough places for your Single and Multi Part Performance programs (over 1900) so you don't have to worry about overwriting program data like in the XF/MOXF where you have just 512 or 384 locations for the Voices that accessed the custom Waveform/Sample data.

Each loaded Library file (.X7L) has its own space for all the programs made from its data.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 06/03/2016 5:21 pm
Topic starter

Thaank you for your fast response!

i think i understand but i am not sure! so the Library is kind of a bank of performances.

my actual concern is if i can make, let's say, 100 different user multisamples made from my wav files.

Posted : 06/03/2016 7:56 pm
Topic starter

P.S. sorry for being so insistent, but it's something i actually use live and it's the most important feature for me 🙂
right now i have at least 30 different voices in my Motif XS made from 30 different keybanks (multisamples).
and when i get the Montage i want to expand on that. that's the main reason i want one 🙂

Posted : 06/03/2016 7:59 pm
david
Reputable Member

So you'll have 8 libraries ("storage locations" I think this represents like allocations on a hard drive) available and you'll load your 30 "voices" which now become 30 performances into one of these library storage locations. I guess you can expand the performances within this location. I assume that these have a memory limit per library. Not sure if that memory limit is fixed/floating or only that the total of those 8 libraries can't exceed the maximum available memory space. BM said that each of the 8 "independent areas" can store up to 640 performances. So does that add up to 5120 (640x8) total performances?

Is this something completely different from the 1.75GB of flash waveform storage or are we talking about the same thing? Like with typical storage banks in the SY or EX you could always just save your voice programs and the internal battery would save your data. Apart from the waveform/sample storage this didn't require much to accomplish but now we're talking much greater a volume of information for both AWM2 and FMX (talking user settings on custom performances). Is this typical program information now stored on the flash instead of a battery-backed system?

Posted : 08/03/2016 8:45 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us