Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can't buy a Montage anywhere, What's the Problem?

65 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Dragos
Eminent Member

Stock vanishing fast at Thomann in EU as well.

Posted : 21/04/2023 7:21 am
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

When you see the leaves changing it's a sign of Fall. Or when the leaves roll over backwards there's a storm coming. Birds migrate south or sky gets dark etc. It doesn't take Sherlock to figure this one out, it's pretty obvious. The only thing we don't know is what it is, another Montage or something else? How long does Yamaha keep a series going historically? They have already spun off MODX w/+and milked that forever. The thought of a fundamental change is interesting however unlikely but it's also been 7 years. A "perfected" montage is probably more practical. A modular Montage? A software Montage? A Mosaic new line? It will have a touch screen and no built-in speakers, this we do know.

How about all those older faders are now exactly like the YC so it has a YC organ engine sliders double for input and programming and it retains FM-X obviously because YC is FM and it retains AMW2 plus some Genos super articulation capabilities and then also adds the AN-X. (4) sound engines! And all the part volume "faders" in one location like CK.

Posted : 21/04/2023 2:31 pm
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=121358]Saul commented... "I think it is now a safe bet that Montage is being replaced, either with a Montage Plus or something completely new."[/quotePost]
There's also the possibility that there will simply be no model in that line above the MODX+, at least for some time. Korg folks are still wondering when/whether there will be a Kronos replacement, or if Nautilus is it.

Posted : 21/04/2023 2:43 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

But then why would Montage inventory stop if it were going to remain the flagship? The dealership is the point source of Yamaha income and success unless no one is buying the Montage so they are discontinuing it because sales have dipped below the allowable threshold. But then Blake also claimed this year would be special or groundbreaking or whatever it was. The signs say it's a synthesizer flagship of some sort. All we know is that it's this year and we know CK wasn't really groundbreaking nor is it a synthesizer. CK is an convolution of several previous products is all. Probably announcing in May/June and available in August just guessing.

Generally Yamaha will do something expected, add something unexpected, maybe copy a competitor in regards to a synth necessity, do something no one else has done, implement what's already been done that works, steal something from another series (like the awesome YC LED drawbars), implement ideascale items (this also signals to competitors what people want that could backfire), stick with their chosen path of AWM2, put two separate Montages under one hood, go with modular plugin brains, add FDSP or VL or use CP1 technology but however it's implemented I pray it's intuitive and easy to understand.

We also wonder will there be only a single version like with YC61 or only (2) initially like CK?

SSS is an interesting concept when a unit get multiple even 3 or 4 engines with lots of applied effects and you suddenly switch it. That thing requires some serious doubling of capability. Would be nice to choose to disable SSS and get double your power back as you decide. YC has SSS and it has a ton of effects going on for 3 voices. Implement some sort of DSP allocation option only if you can't have your cake and eat it too. Remember the EX5, the 7 was useless because it was half the 5 and the 5 would give us that DSP error with every creative attempt we made. Still was awesome with 4 engines and the MIDI loop trick.

Posted : 21/04/2023 4:14 pm
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=121371]But then why would Montage inventory stop if it were going to remain the flagship? [/quotePost]Who says it's going to remain the flagship?

Someone else noted that at https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/index.html Montage is no longer the model featured in the main top image, nor the first model listed underneath. In fact, it is right next to the discontinued MODX. (It is common for manufacturers to leave discontinued products up as current products as long as there are still some available at retail, and there may still be Montages around, if not at the major online retailers, then maybe at some local stores.)

I'm not saying you're wrong in thinking some kind of revised Montage is coming soon, only that that's not the only possible way to "read the signs."

Posted : 21/04/2023 4:48 pm
Prominent Member

Would be nice to choose to disable SSS and get double your power back as you decide.

I don't understand what you mean.

Just using 5 or more parts will 'disable SSS'.

Posted : 21/04/2023 5:06 pm
 John
Estimable Member

In the UK, Andertons have 7 x Montage6, 1 x Montage7 and 1 x Montage6 white. They do claim to deliver worldwide.

A few other online shops I know of in the UK are claiming they have stock. A couple claim to have stock of the 6 and 7 and one of them claims to have stock of the 8.

They’re all saying “pre-order now stock due soon” for those not in stock.

Posted : 21/04/2023 6:37 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

Yamaha Music London also shows stock for multiple models on their online store.
Thomann however had almost all versions few weeks ago. Now only the Montage 8 WH, the rest "available in few months".

Posted : 21/04/2023 7:42 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah a lot of the places I listed said "Order Now" but I wonder how long that would take? Until someone revises their site advertisement it will continue to say the same thing. The fact my rep. said Yamaha refused to provide even an estimated ETA is somewhat unprofessional of a massive industry leader unless it's code for it's being discontinued. Yamaha told us we couldn't say the words "discontinued" however we can say we're not telling you when inventory will be returning even though dealers are our lifeline and livelihood. You have to read between the lines which are pretty obvious. I suppose that one dealer said screw it if Yamaha isn't going to professionally communicate then we're posting the Montage as discontinued no matter what they say. Just be honest if the Montage is being discontinued although you don't have to tell anyone a replacement is coming. Just say It's the MODX+ for now and move on. If it's not actually being discontinued then tell your dealers when they are expected and why they are not available. A no answer is not an honest answer because dealers are depending on inventory and availability.

Posted : 22/04/2023 8:09 pm
Prominent Member

Manufacturers may not like to say a product is discontinued as long as there is unsold inventory at dealerships, because it arguably instantly devalues those products and makes them harder to sell.

Posted : 22/04/2023 8:17 pm
Prominent Member

Manufacturers may not like to say a product is discontinued as long as there is unsold inventory at dealerships, because it arguably instantly devalues those products and makes them harder to sell.

That is known in the industry as "The Osborne Effect"
https://medium.com/strixus/the-osborne-effect-why-the-timing-of-your-new-product-announcement-is-essential-to-its-success-74717d0c1ca

The term is derived from the downfall of the Osborne Computer Corporation. The company’s founder, Adam Osborne, announced its new model of computer in 1983, over a year before it was ready to be released. The new model was marketed as higher spec, lower priced, and all-around more superior to the model currently on sale. As a result, the company’s customers refrained from buying the old model or canceled their orders, choosing to wait for the new superior model instead. The company faced a sudden downturn in sales, which contributed to its filing for bankruptcy just two years later.

Posted : 22/04/2023 9:13 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes but if Montage 6 was manufactured for $1,200 per unit. There isn't really any loss if it drops from the price my rep gave me as an example I think was $2,600 (some dealers are still trying to get $4,000) so if $2,600 still give the dealer $600 profit and the manufacturer still gets $800 they are still making a little on the closeout end. Even if it drops to $2,000 they are still not making zero so no one is losing even then. Someone would buy a new Montage 6 for $2,400 even if a new model was available for $4,000 because it's still a lot cheaper. I'm sure any new Montage shouldn't be cheaper but maybe better or at least different.

I was looking around to purchase the Montage 6 before I realized the inventory was gone. I've seen a few used sell for around $2,100 but most used were still listed at full price or more than SW sells new ones for. That's silly. What person thinks their used synth is still worth full price? I was going to buy one around 2,000 because for a 7 year old synth used in good condition that's pretty fair. However why sink $3,000 in a used one if the new one will likely be $3,500? The price they want isn't really a fair price considering after 7 years obviously something better should be rightfully expected. I guess I'd call my theory something like the comparative expected useful product life expectancy. But don't forget Yamaha has milked the MODX and MODX+ from the Montage for years and then released the CK (sort of devalues the CP & YC) without warning. They have planned to milk every possible penny so I doubt they care that 50 Montages get left to be sold for a little less than listing price.

Might be more about not hurting the feelings of the buyers who just paid $4,000 for the Montage and a few months later could have had the Montage+. Anyone should rightfully expect like that disclaimer "product specifications may change at anytime without notice" that this is business so you should have reasonably expected that the time was near and based on Yamaha historical records. That's the polite business way of saying so sorry Charlie you should have waited. As soon as Roland introduced the Fantom in 2019 I began to prep to sell my Montage 88. I knew the competition was about to get intense. I slightly miscalculated by a few years and thought we'd have had a new Montage by at least 2022. Yamaha kept releasing spin-offs so then their game plan had changed.

I wonder whether those spin-offs were a calculated plan to fund the Montage AN-X project behind the scenes while they worked out the kinks. Dumbing down an existing system for resale isn't really that difficult now that you have the assembly line rolling. It's not totally unthinkable that a new synth could be completely different than Montage because it's been 7 years which is longer than usual and they have spun off several others over this time period. MODX+ carries on the legacy of Montage while something completely different is in the works. Let's start a poll on which it might be because I'm curious.

Posted : 22/04/2023 9:14 pm
Prominent Member

If indeed Yamaha has no more inventory, and no more coming, then they wouldn't lose any money by devaluing the product, since they have none to sell anyway. BUT their dealers could find they suddenly need to take less money for their remaining inventory. That wouldn't sit well with them. Why should Yamaha do that to them, by making an announcement that essentially serves no other purpose except to devalue the remaining inventory and make it harder to sell?

"Closeout pricing" happens when there's more remaining inventory than the company could expect to sell at regular prices. Since there are so few available, that's not likely the case here.

(Again, I'm not saying this is what's happening... but it could be.)

Posted : 22/04/2023 10:19 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=121374]

Would be nice to choose to disable SSS and get double your power back as you decide.

I don't understand what you mean.

Just using 5 or more parts will 'disable SSS'.
[/quotePost]
Are you referring to the MODX/MODX+ with regard to disabling SSS? The Montage does 8 PART SSS switching Scenes &/or Performances, the MODX/MODX+ does 4 PART.
Or did I misunderstand?

Posted : 24/04/2023 12:27 am
Prominent Member

Or did I misunderstand?

Nope - I forgot this is the Montage forum.

But I still don't understand how using SSS takes away any power or why disabling it would give you power back.

Posted : 24/04/2023 12:40 am
Page 2 / 5
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us