Clear all

CFX Tuning

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Lawrence
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is it possible to tune the CFX on an individual note-by-note basis, in cents?

Posted : 31/05/2016 1:48 am
 Sam

Lawrence wrote:

I get the same pitch discrepancy on any piano tuned to equal temperament. But there is a workaround:

On my keyboards that offer micro tuning, including an upright 140 year old piano, I tune the middle A to 440 Hz (using a Korg tuner or the built-in display of the keyboard). Then for every octave up I tune it a cent more sharp, and every octave down it is tuned a cent flatter.

It seems that the human ear perceives higher notes as being out of tune, as being too flat, and base notes as being out of tune, as being too sharp. Presumably for different people the non-linear effect varies. For example, you may need to tune your Montage as 2 cents per octave difference.

If you have a scientific calculator this can be calculated. The ratio between adjacent semi-tones in equal temperament is 1.059463094 to ten significant figures, but the first 5 digits will do. So you can skew the logarithmic curve to give you whatever adjustment you want to the pitch, going up or down.

More on this topic here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament and lots of other sites that are easy to find.

Of course, you only need to do this once & save it to your own favorite tuning file to call up if/when you want it.

Posted : 31/05/2016 6:19 am
Bad Mister

No. You can however, select between "Stretch" Tuned Waveforms or "Flat" Tuned Waveforms on many of the principal acoustic piano data.

Stretch tuning is most commonly done on every piano you probably have encountered in you life, and is a great conversation to have with your piano tuner next time they visit.

Flat tune (does not mean flat in pitch here, just non-stretched tuned) is simply tuned so all the octaves are in tune throughout the range... If you are layering with a non-stretched instrument, like an electric piano, you might want to opt for a "Flat tuned" Waveform instead of a Stretch tuned Waveform, if the beating at the extremes troubles you.

No, you cannot tune each note on the instrument by cents... To answer the question.
You can tune the entire instrument up or down by cents, of course, but not each individual key of the piano.

Posted : 31/05/2016 10:25 am
 Sam

Bad Mister wrote:

No. You can however, select between "Stretch" Tuned Waveforms or "Flat" Tuned Waveforms on many of the principal acoustic piano data.
No, you cannot tune each note on the instrument by cents... To answer the question.
You can tune the entire instrument up or down by cents, of course, but not each individual key of the piano.

Hi Bad Mister. I beg to differ. Even on the SY77 micro tuning was available on a note by note basis. infact 99 cent interval or partial interval from one key to the next. You could even do, say, the middle octave & leave the rest alone... whatever took your fancy.

I'm still waiting for my Montage, but the instruction manual make it clear that the Montage (like the Motif, EX, and SY before it) has this ability:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/1078179/Yamaha-Montage-7.html?page=62

" Tuning No. (Micro Tuning Number)
Indicates the selected User Micro Tuning Number.
Settings:
1 – 8
Tuning Name (Micro Tuning Name)
Determines the name of the selected User Micro Tuning. Touching the parameter calls up the input
character display.
C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B
Adjusts the pitch of each note in 1 cent steps determines the Micro Tuning.
Settings:
-99 – +99
"

Lawrence, or anyone else, simply has to decide on what cent addition or subtraction they want for each note, apply it, and save it with its own name. 😉

Posted : 31/05/2016 10:59 am
Bad Mister

Sam, I interpreted the question to mean tune the CFX piano, note-by-note as a piano tuner would tune a piano. So I stand by my answer, you are talking about microtuning an octave of keys. Not all 88..

Posted : 31/05/2016 3:19 pm
 Sam

Bad Mister wrote:

Sam, I interpreted the question to mean tune the CFX piano, note-by-note as a piano tuner would tune a piano. So I stand by my answer, you are talking about microtuning an octave of keys. Not all 88..

Yes, all 88 keys can be individually tuned. I've done it on my SY77. I think we might be talking at cross purposes. The micro tuning is more than 'transpose' the entire keyboard by a note or fraction of a note... it is actually individual key tuning... all 88 of them, one by one.
On my SY77 I retuned the entire keyboard to do a 13, 14, and 15 semitone octave from the base to the treble. In other words an octave (say C to B) would reach completion after 13, 14, or 15 keys, not the 12 keys that the keyboard layout is based on (it took a while, and made you cross-eyed in trying to construct chords. I hope Yamaha can contact me for a keyboard layout that allows any number of semitones without favoring one over the other, and allows playing in any key with equal dexterity 😀 ). I'm sure the Montage can do the same thing. Here's another link:

http://faq.yamaha.com/au/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/motif_xf/6010/6149

Notice there are 8 user slots in addition to the presets. When I tune the SY77 I start with the standard default equal temperament & adjust each & every note from there.

I wish I had an SY99, but even its little brother sent me broke. Isn't it incredible that the Montage is just a quarter of the price of those 16+16 polyphony synths of so long ago!

When we're young we have the energy, imagination & aspirations, but no money. When we get old we have the money, but far less drive & interest. Why can't they be together when we want them?:(

Posted : 31/05/2016 3:44 pm
Lawrence
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just to be clear it IS note-by-note as a piano tuner would do that I want to do. Not all 88 keys - only selected notes as needed.

I'm wanting to combine the CFX and Bosendorfer, and love the resultant sound, but there are tuning issues in places that I would like to resolve by tuning one of the instruments to the other.

Lawrence

Posted : 31/05/2016 4:04 pm
 Sam

Lawrence wrote:
Just to be clear it IS note-by-note as a piano tuner would do that I want to do. Not all 88 keys - only selected notes as needed.
I'm wanting to combine the CFX and Bosendorfer, and love the resultant sound, but there are tuning issues in places that I would like to resolve by tuning one of the instruments to the other.
Lawrence

Yes, you can re-tune individual keys, as many or as few as you want. Individual specific notes. Even just one note, say C4, and nothing else. Then you save that in a micro-tuning file linked to the voice (CFX piano or any other voice) that you want. I would be shocked if that's not possible, since even the SY77 & SY99 of 1991 could do that.

To cut a long story short; can some expert here give it a try on their Montage? (They don't exist in Australia yet 🙁 )

Posted : 31/05/2016 4:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us