Notifications
Clear all

Changing Montage's Tempo

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi

Is there a super fast way to change the tempo on Montage without having to going into the menu screen to do it?

Is there no way to just type in a tempo number or change it in real time quickly from any of the control knobs or dials?

Thank you

Posted : 16/09/2017 11:49 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Is there no way to just type in a tempo number or change it in real time quickly from any of the control knobs or dials?

No. And lack of a physical knob that can be assigned to tempo (like previous Motif/MO) without needing to have a certain screen active is a source of a long-standing wish/complaint from this seat.

The closest you can get to this is first activate the tempo screen then use the data dial to change the tempo. The fact that you first have to navigate to this screen -- even with the shortcut button or shortcut touchscreen -- is outside of the "quickly" ... "real time" realm.

There is no real work around here. No way to assign tempo to a knob through the parameter assignment system. Your best bet - in my opinion - is to slave tempo from an external source and get an external source (hardware) that has a knob. So you can buy your way out of this Montage shortcoming and connect through MIDI. Some examples are other keyboards (like the Motif XF -- or cheaper ones that have a tempo knob) or maybe something like this: https://www.e-rm.de/products/midiclock.php Super expensive solution: https://www.roland.com/global/products/sbx-1/

If using a DAW - then there are some options. I'm sure there are examples for different DAWs. The first one happened to be Ableton: https://mididesigner.com/qa/4662/control-ableton-lives-tempo-via-midi (I guess this is Ableton plus Midi Designer). Or using some plugin: http://midiclock.com/ Generally just more options with a computer - but I prefer a non-computer rig for my live setup.

Posted : 16/09/2017 7:17 pm
Topic starter

Hi Jason

Thanks for the reply,

I am very quickly wishing I went with a Kronos or a Motif XF7 or even just waited as now I hear that a new "Flagship Workstation" is iminantly going to be launched, The Genos, which I truly hope is just the next Tyros and not an actual flasgship workstation as I am not in the Tyros thing, I thought thats what Montage is supposed to have been "The Flagship". I've already read one post saying that Genos could be everything Montage is not, I hope that is not the case.

For me certain standard things seem to be missing on my £3k + keyboard, just fundamental things like a sequencer or HD Recording, sure I know people have banged on about it but not everyone wants to be constantly be connected to a laptop or desktop, I know I dont, I just dont get why for all the motif variations which with each model it improved on the next for Montage to come along and it takes away important functionality that people have lived and been used to for years.

Even now this simple tempo change having to do it from the menu screen, this adds a delay when wanting to change the tempo and once again forcing the user to need to have it connected to a DAW to get the best out of it....

I am so glad I paid an additional £130.00 which gave me a 180 day money back gurantee, I've only had it less than a month but already have a list of things I just dont like.

Silly things like when playing certain VSTi's when using the Montage as the audio device that maxes out the Audio Buffer as soon as I press a few chords yet when I change to my Roland Octa Core audio device no issues at all. Sure people probably saying maybe its your PC but its top of the line high spec.

Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i9-7980EX Extreme Edition Processor 18 Cores / 36 Threads
64GB RAM
4x 1TB SSD HDs
2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU Card in SLI 16GB
USB 8x 2.0 and 6x 3.0

I should be able least be able to play one or two chords on Ample Sound Virtual Martin D-41 acoustic guitar or the Taylor one without Montage not being able to handle the audio.....

You mentioned your non computer rig for a live setup this is where a sequencer or HD recorder would be useful.

Thanks mate

Posted : 16/09/2017 8:46 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi on the tempo screen, double click on the tempo box to open the numeric pad and enter the new tempo value :and press Done

But perhaps it's no enought fast for what you want to do.

Posted : 16/09/2017 9:58 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I am/was in the same boat regarding not being into the Tyros thing. Lots of that had to do with the construction - mostly plastic - "flimsy" screen - kind of like a souped up consumer grade keyboard. Didn't seem road ready to me. Now the screen is embedded like Montage - not sure about the rest and how it ultimately "feels" as an overall instrument.

There are aspects of Tyros I like and would have "wished" to cross-migrate over to a Motif/Montage type instrument. Mostly in the "articulation" type department such as how you can differently bend notes (and keep some from bending) to differently mimic a pedal steel guitar for instance. So I'm on the fence of what to do about Montage vs. Genos here in my setup. There's not room for both - I'd gig with one or the other. I certainly do not need the Tyros one-man-band "styles" type stuff which I'm sure is part of the Genos package.

Although some of the "misses" (for me) can be solved with throwing a few hundred here and there for external hardware "modules" for each feature - I'm opposed to doing so. Things like this tempo knob I just live with. It amounts to the songs I once ended a certain way I just don't do this anymore and let the rest of the band carry the ending without keyboard contributing. It's no real loss to the audience - at least that's my personal (internal) justification. All keyboards have their quirks and since they're made for a larger audience than just me -- not everything is "bang on". But certainly if something works better for your needs you should vote with your feet/wallet.

Since gen6 Intel CPUs - there's been an issue with USB2.0 (under certain specific conditions - not sure if this fits the particulars here). This is something I wished Yamaha would have went more current with - USB3 vs USB2. Not because of theoretical bandwidth - but more to "skirt" the issue with legacy USB support. For a fast processor your buffer size should be small. But certainly this is something to "play" with to see where to set the needle.

Posted : 17/09/2017 8:33 am
Topic starter

Hey Joel

Thank you very much, I was hoping more of being able to change it without having to go into any menu screens as this adds a delay, but I guess it just is what it is :

Posted : 17/09/2017 9:40 am
Topic starter

Hey Jason

Like you I am not into the one man band thing with Tyros, sure they sound fantastic and very autentic with some of the styles and patches, but I prefer to build all the tracks myself instead of having it all done for me.

I too was very supsrised that Montage was USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 being that USB 3.0 was out November 2008 and USB 3.1 July 2013 again a backward step in my eyes.

I run most things as 64 Samples giving me the following latency

4.240 Input
5.238 Output

But I do get into problems when running Montage as the Audio Interface and most of the time raise this to 128 / 256 or 512

When running my Roland OctaCapture or my Roland UA-1610 Studio Capture I leave it at 64 samples and have so few issues when playing VSTs, all the issues as of late with Audio Buffer problems are with Montage.

Well I guess we will see in a couple of weeks what Genos is all about.

I'm kind of hoping a new Korg Kronos is in the midst its been a few years now and surely we are due for one soon?

Posted : 17/09/2017 10:11 am
Bad Mister

Is there a super fast way to change the tempo on Montage without having to going into the menu screen to do it?

Yes. There is:
1) Tap Tempo (built-in)
- [SHIFT] + [ENTER], then just tap the [ENTER] button alone to set tempo
2) Touch the Quarter Note Tempo icon on the Home screen, then spin the Data Dial which defaults to TEMPO
3) Slave Tempo to A/D Input*
4) Slave Tempo to MIDI clock*
5) Preset tempo per Performance (built-in)

_If you have natural ability, you can Tap Tempo at anytime.
_The Data Dial is Tempo Control once you touch current Tempo on the Home screen
_*Use an external device to be the master clock. If you don't have a reliable accurate master clock for your system, get one.
The iPhone/iPad "Yamaha METRONOME" app is perfect for either providing an audible click which you can feed to the A/D Input or connect with a Lightning-to-USB Adapter... for a direct MIDI SYNC clock. The App (and many like it) give you realtime access to tempo at all times. Drag your finger around the dial or tap.
_If you go to the stage without knowing what tempo you want to play, you can plug in an external device either to the A/D Input (where you can use an audible count-off to set the tempo) or connect a master tempo device to the USB-MIDI input or standard MIDI input.
_You can Preset a tempo with each MONTAGE Performance.

The MONTAGE does not have a Sequencer through which you play (Like Motif XF) to store realtime tempo changes throughout your live performance. If you are stumped as to how to setup a master tempo, try recognizing what is going on, there are many realtime solutions. You simply need to pick one.

There is for most people. The tempo parameter appears on the HOME screen top line and Tap Tempo is available on the HOME screen.
Touch the Quarter Note Tempo icon at the top of the screen... double tap the "TEMPO", type in your tempo on the numeric keypad. Touch DONE.
Press [EXIT] to return to your Performance.

As to latency, you should not be affected by latency when you opt to monitor yourself DIRECT - if using the MONTAGE as your interface, you have a choice: Zero Latency, or the best your computer can do. Opt for zero latency! Monitor yourself Direct and your computer's latency settings are simply curiosities for items it needs to process. Monitoring MONTAGE through the DAW places you after the computer has processed the incoming signal and has time to respond. By setting up to monitor yourself DIRECT during recording, you can completely avoid the latency inherent in any computer based system.**
__ **Pro DAWs have advanced delay compensation so your recorded music is positioned properly, so that on playback your recorded data has automatically been precisely placed.

Posted : 17/09/2017 11:38 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us