Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Why does Montage make recording a simple MIDI track so darn difficult........

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey people

I am very new to the world of Montage but so far it seems so intuitive to do the simplist thing, recording a simple midi track.

All I want to do is record what I play and here when using the montage in standalone mode the way it does when not connected to any DAW into a MIDI track when connected to my DAW, I am just trying to record some of the ARP sounds.

I prefer to use Ableton Live 9, so I have my montage set to receive Midi Sync as MIDI and sending the sync from Ableton, the tempo matches initially, yet while I play a track back I watch the tempo on Montage drift up and down by one BPM so if the project is set to 120BPM Montage keeps changing to 119 and 121 on it's screen?

Then we come to the sound..

No matter what setting I use Standalone, MIDI Rec on DAW, ARP Rec on DAW when I press record on my DAW montage either doesnt play the sound correctly, its like its missing so many elements of the sound, then sometimes I just get some weird arp noises, other times the notes are received but when played back nothing, no sound at all, other times the Montage seems to do its own thing and is playing the arps out of time with the projects BPM.

I must be missing something but why is it so difficult to do the simplest of things?

I just wanna record what I hear into a MIDI track so I can correct any mistakes with notes or timing but I cant make it work..... I am so frustrated.

Sure its linked to Cubase being a Yamaha / Steinberg product which is cool as I have Cubase 9 Pro as well, but I prefer Ableton as my go to DAW.

I would appreciate any nudge in the right direction.

Many thanks

Posted : 15/09/2017 8:28 pm
Bad Mister

For a nudge, what "sound" was it you were trying to record?

Posted : 15/09/2017 10:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Finding references to an inaccurate MIDI clock out of Ableton was not dificult.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/3sf4sr/midi_clock_drift_ableton_external_gear/

Here's one with at least one suggestion

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-drift-with-ableton/11824/15

... and so on. I didn't dig for the latest information or dig deep - but you're not alone with MIDI sync issues with that configuration. And Yamaha keyboards are not the common link here.

Note that recording an ARP has some choices - either render the whole ARP (record all the notes the ARP spits out) or just record the trigger notes. This is a configuration choice.

Focusing on all BUT the MIDI clock - I would suspect that Cubase would yield the same results as you're seeing if you set everything up similarly. That's just a thought experiment - no need to use Cubase although I am going try to reproduce in Cubase here because that's what I have and any findings would transfer to any other DAW except for the keyboard/mouse strokes and menus.

Looking forward to your list of all PARTs, what you loaded into them, and the ARP you're trying to record. Best would be to load Montage Connect and save an X7B then ZIP that up and attach here.

Posted : 15/09/2017 10:52 pm
Topic starter

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and replying to me.

So the issue I have is with any sound which has an ARP in it but to name a few that I was wanting to record via midi to then play back and make scene changes in real time and super knob adjustments in real time whilst recording the recorded midi track to an audio track are

Sax on the Fly
World Cafe Fusion
Morning Dew MWPizza Club
Disco Bay

I have not heard of Montage Connect but will do some research on that, thank you for the tip and for the Ableton Midi Clock Drift I will read it now.

Just incase you want me PC specs

Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i9-7980EX Extreme Edition Processor 18 Cores / 36 Threads
64GB RAM
4x 1TB SSD HDs
2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU Card in SLI 16GB (also tried it as a single GPU with Montage and no difference)
USB 8x 2.0 and 6x 3.0 (Makes no difference which port type Montage is connected too)

Best Regards

Posted : 15/09/2017 11:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Most of the how-to is pretty well documented already. Although Cubase-centric - most refers to Montage setup and DAW settings should be easily translated as there's nothing obscure.

Source: http://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/cubase-setup-guide-arp-rec-on-daw

Checklist:
_ MONTAGE is set to MIDI I/O mode = Multi - meaning you are set to transmit on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously. UTILITY > "Settings" > "Advanced" > MIDI I/O mode = Multi
_ Create a single MIDI track in Cubase with the MIDI OUT channel set to "ANY" - allowing each recorded channel to be echoed back OUT on the channel on which it arrives - "Dissolve Parts" later.
_ Set Cubase to transmit MIDI Clock Out to MONTAGE Port 1. Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP > MIDI CLOCK OUT > DESTINATION > Montage Port 1
_ Use the "ARP REC on DAW" template to record and to playback what you've recorded. This automatically sets the MIDI SYNC = MIDI and sets ARP MIDI OUT = ON
_ Because the MIDI data recorded may contain SCENE change, and therefore ARP commands, ensure that ARP MIDI OUT = ON is selected when playing back your MIDI data
_ [SHIFT] + [ARP ON/OFF] is the shortcut to ARPEGGIO BYPASS. This function (added with firmware 1.20.x) causes the main [ARP ON/OFF] button to flash, as it bypasses all ARPEGGIO Functions. This can be useful when you want to playback data from a DAW and not have that data trigger the internal ARPEGGIOS... chaos will always follow if you let MIDI data playback and trigger the Arpeggiator (again). You must defeat input to the arpeggiator during playback! ARPEGGIO BYPASS accomplishes this!

Posted : 15/09/2017 11:49 pm
Topic starter

I will try that in Cubase 9 now

I have just done another test in Ableton nothing changed with the Midi Drift from the documentation but I have noticed from the settings reply above that Ableton doesnt seem to allow me to set the MIDI Out to ALL only to individual channels which when changing the channel number does change the Montage sound although the notes on some of the Midi Channels seems to play back as gobbly gook notes and not what was played...

Posted : 16/09/2017 12:16 am
Topic starter

I have just tried the above in Cubase 9 Pro and that has worked perfectly, although the all the sounds are on one midi track which can be disolved.

I still saw the MIDI clock drift up and down and times but didnt seem to make a difference to the midi recording.

Now if only I could do this in Ableton, I think one of the issues is the that fact that the midi out has to be a channel number and not ALL the way I can in cubase.

Posted : 16/09/2017 12:48 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

What I found is the MIDI patch bay seems to be able to route multiple input channels to output channels. "MIDI From" Something ... and "MIDI To" Something else ... with monitor=off.

Posted : 16/09/2017 4:10 am

In Ableton, set MIDI IN to Montage (All). Drop an Instrument Rack on the channel and add 8 External Instruments to the rack, each set to Montage Channel 1 - 8 respectively (no incoming audio, or one of them set to incoming audio depending on what you're doing with audio in Ableton). This setup is Ableton's equivalent to ALL ALL.

Posted : 16/09/2017 8:02 pm
Topic starter

Aaron

Thank you very much this has worked and I have just recorded a basic ARP sound with all channel into Ableton 🙂

Posted : 17/09/2017 9:38 am
Bad Mister

Just FYI,
We recognize that setting up a computer to record MIDI and Audio is not the most intuitive thing to do. Even if you are an old hand at it, MONTAGE places some new challenges into the mix, they are not so foreign that you won't be able to get it done... it's just the way MONTAGE addresses itself and the way it then can address things Out via MID can be more complex. This complexity is nothing you haven't seen before, it's just that a lot of it is happening simultaneously.

Certainly you've recorded things more complex than a MONTAGE, but probably you did it a Track at a time, MONTAGE makes available realtime direct play and realtime control over multiple Arps, all discreetly Output Out via MIDI... all at once.

The onboard PLAY/REC function has two purposes:
1) it is the quickest and easiest method to document a real time performance on MONTAGE. It can be used to record you, in real time, to a USB stick (as a stereo 44.1kHz wav) it references the MONTAGE clock so you can drag and drop your .wav into your DAW and continue your work from there. -- or --
On the MIDI side, you can record a realtime performance on MONTAGE - the recorder will document every parameter as a standard MIDI .mid file which you can open in your favorite DAW via MONTAGE CONNECT. Literally drag n drop it into your fav DAW.

2) the PLAY/REC feature can be used to stream Wav files from a USB stick, or it can be used as a 16 Track MIDI playback device - both so you can take your data to the stage.

So literally, the answer to "why-does-montage-make-recording-a-simple-midi-track-so-darn-difficult"? It really couldn't be simpler...

Call up the Performance you want to record
Press [REC] on front panel... press [PLAY] to start the count-in
Play..... Stop
Playback.

The other answer as you probably know, now, because you need to sort out *what you play*, from *what the Arp is playing*... so that your MIDI routing works. Maybe you've recorded yourself normally, and maybe you've recorded yourself using an Arpeggiator... probably separately. well they require two different MIDI routing setups in most DAWs... and you need to do both. In normal record, the Sequencer Track is usually placed between the Keyboard and Tone Generator and you work with Local Control Off. The Arps need to see your key presses BEFORE the data gets recorded to a track... because it is presumed you want to record what your good buddy Arp is laying down... right? "...so darn difficult..." is right!

...that's the WHY.

The fix is:
1) Learn the HOW
or
2) Use the PLAY/REC and then drag n drop (you can literally drag it through the USB connection into your favorite DAW ( which we're sure can import .MID)

Posted : 19/09/2017 5:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us